My first hi-fi... auditioned and ordered!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

floyd droid

Sep 5, 2008
Visit site
emotion-42.gif
Have i missed something or has one post been heavily edited ?. just trying to keep up to speed here.

Craig M.

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
idc:matthewpiano:idc:

EDIT - I checked back on the original post. James auditioned over two days and took a load of his own and different types of music to try out. Textbook.

...but not at home, in his own room. It makes a MASSIVE difference. :)

True, but often impracticle. In any case if you are talking about a whole setup from scratch, unless that home audition is for a few weeks to ensure eveything is run in, even a home audition will not give you the end result. I have not used a home audition, I assume you get kit for a couple of days or over a weekend maximum.

i usually home dem for a week using the shops demo kit, so usually well run in. my local shop let me take whatever i want, or if from someone else i would pay up front and get my money back when i return it. i agree with matthew, it's the best way to choose a hifi but would be very difficult without a willing dealer.

A

Anonymous

There are many textbooks for buying kit. The one that's true is the one that works for you!

I've bought "blind of the internet" many, many times and couldn't have been happier. With a lot a research as well - through forums and site reviews such as What HiFi. It sounded like it was meant to be a bad thing to buy blind in the previous post, in my humble experience - it's not.

Also, the lack a home demo generally, at least in my part of the world, means you simply cannot create the conditions of your living room in a shop demo.

To the OP, pleased you've got some kit you enjoyed coming and let us know once settled in! Nice post, by the way.

floyd droid

Sep 5, 2008
Visit site
idc:Yes, one off edited his post, but I had it quoted too quickly. That'll teach that upstart padawan to try and play with a master
emotion-5.gif

Ah i see ,well sniped. I think the op did all he could within the constraints of how he could dem the gear. I say, go easy guys. He is as happy as a sandboy and looking forward to getting his chosen set up home and some gas running through it. Just a thought
emotion-2.gif

A

Anonymous

floyd droid:
idc:Yes, one off edited his post, but I had it quoted too quickly. That'll teach that upstart padawan to try and play with a master
emotion-5.gif

Ah i see ,well sniped. I think the op did all he could within the constraints of how he could dem the gear. I say, go easy guys. He is as happy as a sandboy and looking forward to getting his chosen set up home and some gas running through it. Just a thought
emotion-2.gif

i agree thats why i tried to delete the post

idc

OK, so the textbook way is to research, consider, demo, extended home demo and buy. I am not saying that other means cannot be successful. I am saying that the textbook method pretty much guarantees success, in as much as nothing is absolutely perfect. Whereas any other method carries a greater risk of dissatisfaction.

A

Anonymous

If you are buying used older items, especially off ebay, you cannot home demo before buying

you rely on forums and ask many questions from people who own the specific component ... that's the easy part ...

hard part is when you start combining different good older components to create a complete system in your own listening room

If I had more money and were to buy new, (especially the higher priced components) ... I would not buy any hifi system or hifi component without listening to it in my own home for a few days

JamesPianoman

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
idc:JamesPianoman:

What cables and stands did you go for?

Thanks all for your comments...I went for Partington Dreadnought stands (as used in the audition) and QED cable.

JamesPianoman

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
I'm really looking forward to it all arriving! The audition room was carpeted (like our room) and I moved the sofa to be in the same position relative to the speakers as in our room.

We took along some of my wife's music- she loved the sound as well, and chose the colour of the speakers (Wenge)
emotion-5.gif

matthewpiano

idc:Please post back once it is setup and let us know how different or similar the sound is in your room as opposed to the demo room.

Seconded. Your run-down of your dems is very informative and interesting and it would be very interesting to read your further thoughts in future.

JamesPianoman

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
matthewpiano:idc:Please post back once it is setup and let us know how different or similar the sound is in your room as opposed to the demo room. Seconded. Your run-down of your dems is very informative and interesting and it would be very interesting to read your further thoughts in future.

Thanks, yes of course, will feedback with pleasure and let you know how it sounds in our room, maybe with pics if I can get them uploaded to an appropriate site.

Couple of other thoughts... I think I'm very lucky this particular piece of kit has arrived on the market at this point in time, and that I enjoyed the sound so much straight off the bat; I dread to think how long it could have taken me if I'd had to audition amps/cds/tuners separately.
emotion-3.gif

Finally, going back to one of Matthew's comments, I still love listening to local bands in pubs when I get the chance- sometimes I think there's no-one as critical as other musicians listening out for clangers; me? If I'm in a pub with mates and a beer in my hand and the music's good- go with it and enjoy!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts