My first hi-fi... auditioned and ordered!

JamesPianoman

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
Hi all, I'd like to share some thoughts with you having auditioned and ordered my first hi-fi today...

First off, its been a great help reading these forums and the contributions of so many knowledgeable people; I haven't actually heard much hi-fi equipment so I've always been more of a reader than contributor- I'm happy to finally be able to offer some observations on the small number of hi-fi components I've heard.

Secondly, big thanks to Sound Gallery in High Wycombe for their help.

Well, I've been thinking about Sonos equipment and really like the ease with which you can access your music from the controller. As I'm starting from scratch, now is a good time to design a system using a small number of boxes so I've already bought a ReadyNAS Duo and hard drive. Yet, in relation to my budget of £3k, the £800 Sonos was always going to soak up a large proportion, meaning compromises in the rest of the kit, especially if I wanted hi-fi sound quality in 2 rooms. I was therefore prepared to compromise on sound quality in the kitchen and will use a Pure radio to wirelessly link to the hard-drive and router for internet radio, effectively leaving most of the budget for better equipment in one room.

So last weekend I headed out with an open mind and without much planning ended up listening to B&W CM1 speakers (£500). I found these wam and instantly enjoyable, perhaps not the crispest sound but I still thought I could easily enjoy listening to them. (As this was my first audition I had nothing to compare them to. Nevertheless, that I found myself enjoying them I took to be a good sign). A Chopin piano etude was presented openly with plenty of clarity in the mid-register at low volume. Robert Plant & Alison Krauss were very engaging, but the driving bassline of 'Armor & Sword' by Rush seemed a little loose and ill-defined.

Next up I listened to B&W 685s (£375). I found these to be more detailed than the CM1s but perhaps less 'warm'. Maybe 'warmth' relates to a lack of precision but I thought I'd probably enjoy the CM1s more for everyday listening. So, a different speaker, but in my opinion and for my tastes not offering any improvement in any area over the CM1s.

Next were B&W 805s (£2,000). A remarkable speaker, offering more depth of bass, and more control, and yet still more attack and precision in the higher registers than the CM1s. Yes, I'd go for these, but they're currently out of my budget given that I'm starting from scratch.

Finally I listened to a pair of Spendor A5s. These were probably my favourites of the day- plenty of precision, detail and bass, not more than the 805s, but a more relaxed presentation over all. For my medium-sized room these would be wonderful.

Penty to think about over the last week... and so today I returned to listen once again to the B&W CM1s and Spendor A5s, this time taking cds of the Killers, a classical compilation and Prince to help me decide, in addition to my original selection. I quickly reached the same conclusion- the B&W CM1s were hugely enjoyable, but the Spendor A5s offered more clarity, precision, control and bass... which is reasonable to expect given their higher cost.

I haven't yet mentioned which kit was driving these speakers. I was listening to a system which worked beautifully with all of them, and also offered one-box simplicity, wi-fi and wired connectivity, DAB and FM radio... the naimUniti. I found this instantly enjoyable with the CM1s right at the start of this audition process. I can't think of a better compromise for what I'm looking for; great sound quality with simplicity and connectivity. I know I haven't compared it to any other amp/cd combination, but it sounded so good I knew I'd be very happy with it; it just 'works' and leaves you to enjoy the music, which is exactly the point I'm trying to reach...

So, today I ordered the naimUniti with B&W CM1 speakers, stands, cable and plugs. Its only due to not being able to take them away today that I'm posting this and not listening to music with a huge smile on my face...Cheers all, and I'll let you know how it all sounds in the house when it arrives!
emotion-5.gif

A

Anonymous

Congratulations James. Sometimes the waiting period for your gear to arrive is the sweetest.

A

Anonymous

Sounds like a well made decision. I think the CM1s are beautiful speakers. Let us know how you're enjoying the system once you get it. :)

T

the record spot

Sounds like a good partnership - NaimUniti and the B&Ws - lovely looking speakers too I think. Enjoy!

A

Anonymous

Yes, congratulations, B&W with Naim works well I had the CM1s with my Naim and they are a cracking little speaker.

Glad you had a good experiance with Ronnie at the Sound Gallery as did I when I got a lot of my kit from there..............

idc

JamesPianoman:

.......So last weekend I headed out with an open mind and without much planning ended up listening to B&W CM1 speakers (£500). I found these wam and instantly enjoyable, perhaps not the crispest sound but I still thought I could easily enjoy listening to them. (As this was my first audition I had nothing to compare them to. Nevertheless, that I found myself enjoying them I took to be a good sign). A Chopin piano etude was presented openly with plenty of clarity in the mid-register at low volume. Robert Plant & Alison Krauss were very engaging, but the driving bassline of 'Armor & Sword' by Rush seemed a little loose and ill-defined......

.....I haven't yet mentioned which kit was driving these speakers. I was listening to a system which worked beautifully with all of them, and also offered one-box simplicity, wi-fi and wired connectivity, DAB and FM radio... the naimUniti. I found this instantly enjoyable with the CM1s right at the start of this audition process. I can't think of a better compromise for what I'm looking for; great sound quality with simplicity and connectivity. I know I haven't compared it to any other amp/cd combination, but it sounded so good I knew I'd be very happy with it; it just 'works' and leaves you to enjoy the music, which is exactly the point I'm trying to reach...

Super write up JamesPianoman. Researched, considered, auditioned and then 'leaves you to enjoy the music'. That is the text book way to successfully buy hifi. I hope your near name-sake Matthewpiano reads this post.

What cables and stands did you go for?

jaxwired

Feb 7, 2009
Visit site
The B&W CM line is for some reason underappreciated by the hifi community. My experience is that they are a bargain and offer a highly entertaining high end sound. A very good pick indeed. My only complaint was that the veneer on my CM7s could have been better executed.

Thanks for the great write up. I wish more posters would take the time to share like this.
emotion-21.gif

A

Anonymous

idc:

Super write up JamesPianoman. Researched, considered, auditioned and then 'leaves you to enjoy the music'. That is the text book way to successfully buy hifi. tongue in cheek i trust
emotion-1.gif

idc

one off:idc:

Super write up JamesPianoman. Researched, considered, auditioned and then 'leaves you to enjoy the music'. That is the text book way to successfully buy hifi. tongue in cheek i trust
emotion-1.gif

No, not in the slightest. Read the other posters comments of congratulations and Jaxwireds comment of wishing more contributions were like that post. That is because JamesPianoman has gone about buying his kit in the best way possible and then taken the time to come back to the forum and let everyone know.

idc

one off:

sorry youve lost me

whether you buy spontaneously randomly after lots of research or blindly off the internet doesnt really matter

If it after lots of research I dont see how it 'spontaniously randomly'. Surely 'spontaneously randomly' is very similar to 'blindly off the internet'.

one off:

there is no test book method thats my only and entirely trivial point

I disagree. Research by reading lots about the subject (whether it is for a standard hifi, PC based hifi or an av setup), consideration by joining a forum and asking pertinent questions (not which amp should I buy) and then auditioning products is the text book way of buying a hifi that you are going to be happy with.

Otherwise you are buying a hifi based on what other people like or think you should have. Or if it based on best of and awards reviews, so it is what a magazine likes. Or worst of all it is a hifi bought spontaneously and it will be down to luck whether it is any good or not.

idc

I see one off you have edited your post after I got the quotes in. Matthew, as above I disagree, there is a textbook way of buying hifi and James has done it.

I particularly liked the way he went for enjoyable (B&W) speakers over the more detailed etc (Spendor) ones.

A

Anonymous

experience has taught me that those who complain that the music sounds rubbish when listening to music on a decent hifi setup .... or say they get 'fatigued' when listenening to their hifi are most probably listening to rubbish music in the 1st instance ...

my advice is change the cd not the hifi

idc

dim_span:

......my advice is change the cd not the hifi

Dim_span, that only applies if there is a problem with the CD. What if you have randomly spontaneously bought kit off the internet and your favourite CD sounds terrible? Are you suggesting that you should stop listening to it and change your taste in music?

A

Anonymous

idc:dim_span:

Dim_span, that only applies if there is a problem with the CD. What if you have randomly spontaneously bought kit off the internet and your favourite CD sounds terrible? Are you suggesting that you should stop listening to it and change your taste in music?

idc ... just winding mathewpiano
emotion-5.gif

matthewpiano

idc:
I see one off you have edited your post after I got the quotes in. Matthew, as above I disagree, there is a textbook way of buying hifi and James has done it.

I particularly liked the way he went for enjoyable (B&W) speakers over the more detailed etc (Spendor) ones.

I still have to disagree. Auditioning and choosing a system is one thing, living with it over a period of time is another. The only way to find out whether the latter is possible is to attempt it.

If we were talking 'text book' I'd say a lengthy home audition is vital (but not always possible, hence the protracted evolution many people's systems work through. The way speakers interact with a room is just as vital as the components that make up a system.

I'm not disagreeing that auditioning is vital and I don't think buying 'unheard' is ever advisable, I just don't think it is quite as black and white as your posts suggest.

Anway, I'm pleased James has found a set-up he likes and I hope it continues to be enjoyable over the coming weeks, months and years.

Me? I'm currently still very pleased I went for the 650A. Enjoying listening to Peter Gabriel as we speak.

matthewpiano

dim_span:idc:dim_span:

idc ... just winding mathewpiano
emotion-5.gif

What an absolutely pointless exercise.

I'm glad you've put together a system that you enjoy so quickly. It has taken me much longer but I've learnt a lot along the way.

I've never stopped enjoying music, its just been difficult with some of the set-ups I've had. During the times when the hi-fi hasn't done it for me, live gigs and concerts certainly have and no hi-fi can ever match that.

idc

Matthew, I take your point about lengthy home listening and in a couple of months, once eveything has run it James may find the sound is not quite to his liking. Then the tweeking and upgrading starts. Or you can live with not quite perfection. When you are starting off and getting the lot from scratch, lengthy home auditions of everything is not going to be easy.

EDIT - I checked back on the original post. James auditioned over two days and took a load of his own and different types of music to try out. Textbook.

A

Anonymous

Matthew ... just winding you ... you play music, so are more critical than most ... must admit that I have been lucky (so far) for the money I have spent, but have bought most components 'blind' and have relied on advice from the forums ... and done loads of research

I audition new systems that cost loads more ... some are much better, but that would be expected ... I tend to listen to the music and not the hifi (if that makes sense)

With my limited budget, I will continue to slowly upgrade ... next upgrade is my cdp

idc

dim_span:

... must admit that I have been lucky (so far) for the money I have spent, but have bought most components 'blind' and have relied on advice from the forums ... and done loads of research

I am the same with a lot of my purchases, the latest being Goldring HS1000 headphones, bought because Gerrardasnails and professorhat were very happy with them (and because they are £110 off the RRP and closed back/NR headphones). The auditioning part, even in Glasgow with its numerous hifi dealers can be impossible.

matthewpiano

idc:

EDIT - I checked back on the original post. James auditioned over two days and took a load of his own and different types of music to try out. Textbook.

...but not at home, in his own room. It makes a MASSIVE difference. :)

idc

matthewpiano:idc:

...but not at home, in his own room. It makes a MASSIVE difference. :)

True, but often impracticle. In any case if you are talking about a whole setup from scratch, unless that home audition is for a few weeks to ensure eveything is run in, even a home audition will not give you the end result. I have not used a home audition, I assume you get kit for a couple of days or over a weekend maximum.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts