My experience with mains.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="al7478"]Is that a flat earth-er reference? Few people ever actually believed that[/quote]

It's generally thought that the first globes weren't made until late in the 15th Century, or at least that's the age of the earliest one still in existence, although there are some suggestions that a globe-shaped earth was a widely-held belief in Ancient Greece.

Good Lord, I must have been awake during that geography lesson.

And ox-bow lakes, now there's another thing

Have I unleashed a torrent of half-remembered, scrape-passed O-Level geography?

emotion-15.gif

A

Anonymous

I love this. In my OP I said, "Now don't get me wrong. I'm not saying that this is any conclusive proof of anything". Now there are are whole bunch of people either agreeing or disagreeing with my views. Which view is it that you agree/disagree with? Or is it that you agree/disagree that I have/have not expressed an opinion. Anyway, it's all irrelevant. Everyone knows the answer is 42 (must be true, read in the Telegraph, or did I see on BBC?..............).

A

Anonymous

[quote user="JohnDuncan"]
Hey, this is *fun*!!!! Bring it on, Mr Kettle-Lead!
[/quote]

OK, before I start, what do you mean by "clean mains"?

John Duncan

Wikipedia says that the world's been known to be round since something-or-other BC. And Wikipedia is always right, as any right-minded scientist will tell you. I wonder if they have any entries on mains leads and interconnects - that'll prove we're right once and for all.

John Duncan

[quote user="wellilikeit"]

I love this. In my OP I said, "Now don't get me wrong. I'm not saying that this is any conclusive proof of anything". Now there are are whole bunch of people either agreeing or disagreeing with my views. Which view is it that you agree/disagree with? Or is it that you agree/disagree that I have/have not expressed an opinion. Anyway, it's all irrelevant. Everyone knows the answer is 42 (must be true, read in the Telegraph, or did I see on BBC?..............).

[/quote]

I refer you to my original post where I said I disagree with the [lack of effect] of mains leads and/or filtering on audio quality.

But you said it in an "opinion based on my own experience" way, which is cool. There appears to be a school of thought here however that can disprove my opinion (and prove yours) scientifically. Am just waiting for it.

John Duncan

[quote user="Keith McAlpine"]OK, before I start, what do you mean by "clean mains"?[/quote]

I mean a constant 50hz sine wave unaffected by any other appliance connected to the mains in my house.

A

Anonymous

This is fun. I see we are up to 3 pages, what's the record? Do I get a prize for starting the longest thread?

A

Anonymous

Er, still not sure what it is I'm proving or disproving. Maybe we should ask an accountant.

A

Anonymous

On a (slightyl) more serious note. What I said was that I personally, could detect no difference (either positive or adverse), on my system, in my house. There are far too many variables to make any generalisations from this. Maybe there is no difference. Maybe there is but my ears just aren't good enough to detect it. Maybe my house supply is very clean to start with. Conversely, there is still a common connection at the fuse box between the new spur and the existing ring main so any mains born anomillies could still be present. Maybe my system is designed such that it is not suscepible to mains born anomilies etc etc. The point is "try before you buy" but still be careful. If cable A seems to be better than cable B, are you sure this is the cable or did the fridge come on when you tried cable B?

If you want to prove or disprove any theories about mains, here is a suggestion. Take your kit and rip out all the components which step the mains AC down to a lower DC voltage. Then, using lead-acid or similar batteries of the correct voltage, connect these to the DC side of the kit. I reckon this should provide the smoothest possible supply. (I'll start the stop watch as soon as I post this to see how long it is before somebody tears this appart.)

laserman16

Nov 23, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Andrew Everard"]
[quote user="al7478"]Is that a flat earth-er reference? Few people ever actually believed that[/quote]

It's generally thought that the first globes weren't made until late in the 15th Century, or at least that's the age of the earliest one still in existence, although there are some suggestions that a globe-shaped earth was a widely-held belief in Ancient Greece.

Good Lord, I must have been awake during that geography lesson.

And ox-bow lakes, now there's another thing

Have I unleashed a torrent of half-remembered, scrape-passed O-Level geography?

emotion-15.gif

[/quote]
Oxbow lakes ? Not a patch on lateral moraine and "U" shaped valleys.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="laserman16"]Oxbow lakes ? Not a patch on lateral moraine and "U" shaped valleys.[/quote]

Don't you come in 'ere with yer la-di-da lateral moraines...

John Duncan

[quote user="laserman16"]Oxbow lakes ? Not a patch on lateral moraine and "U" shaped valleys.[/quote]

[/quote]

Ah but are they clean moraines? Do they have a moraines filter?

A

Anonymous

[quote user="JohnDuncan"]I mean a constant 50hz sine wave unaffected by any other appliance connected to the mains in my house.[/quote]

Do you have any appliances that could affect the 50Hz sine wave of the mains?

laserman16

Nov 23, 2007
Visit site

[/quote]

Ah but are they clean moraines? Do they have a moraines filter?

[/quote]
No I'm getting awful interference on them

John Duncan

[quote user="Keith McAlpine"][quote user="JohnDuncan"]I mean a constant 50hz sine wave unaffected by any other appliance connected to the mains in my house.[/quote]

Do you have any appliances that could affect the 50Hz sine wave of the mains?[/quote]

Since my speakers go pop every time I turn the lights out, I'd say yes.

John Duncan

[quote user="Keith McAlpine"][quote user="JohnDuncan"]I mean a constant 50hz sine wave unaffected by any other appliance connected to the mains in my house.[/quote]

Do you have any appliances that could affect the 50Hz sine wave of the mains?[/quote]

Since my speakers go pop every time I turn the lights out, I'd say yes.

[/quote]

Correction - *used* to go pop (until I fitted a mains filter).

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="laserman16"]No I'm getting awful interference on them[/quote]

Nothing worse than being interfered with on a moraine.

emotion-10.gif

BTW is that the moraine in Spain seen mainly from the plane?

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Andrew Everard"]BTW is that the moraine in Spain seen mainly from the plane?[/quote] Theres moraine in Wales. Its debris left after glacial erosion. Which I am pretty sure you wouldn't want passing through your mains supply, so I suppose a moraine filter is a good idea.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts