My Demo of AVI ADM 9s and 40s

Page 8 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
A

Anonymous

FrankHarveyHiFi said:
Do you know all of these 'many thousands' of owners? Have you seen the sales figures?
No and no..

Anyhow, I'd like to ask you a few questions, David. Why are you so curious about the ADM40s? Are you planning on stocking them? Have you heard them? If not, are you planning on getting a demo? I'm genuinely interested in knowing as you seem very very interested in them.. Thanks.

A

Anonymous

John Duncan said:
I didn't realise you'd taken a job as Ashley's PR, Max. Careful with that hyperbole though; how many is 'many thousands'?

Hint: about three
I haven't, JD, I'm just a very happy owner that wants people to know just how good the speakers are, just like i did when i bought my Dynaudio DM 2/7s, I even started a thread called "The Dynaudio Club", nobody seemed to mind though.

A

Anonymous

Clare Newsome said:
So are you, ooh, and you haven't heard them either ;-)

I've loved the AVIs I've heard - not more than the B&O Actives I own, mind you :)
I haven't, Clare, but am very interested in them because I'd love a pair :), I wouldn't say no to your B&O's either though 8)

John Duncan

ooh.. said:
John Duncan said:
I didn't realise you'd taken a job as Ashley's PR, Max. Careful with that hyperbole though; how many is 'many thousands'?

Hint: about three
I haven't, JD, I'm just a very happy owner that wants people to know just how good the speakers are, just like i did when i bought my Dynaudio DM 2/7s, I even started a thread called "The Dynaudio Club", nobody seemed to mind though.

That's very public-spirited of you, Max, thanks. Hopefully you didn't indulge in made-up facts in that one. Helpfully, I've found the post which has sales, returns, and patronising of me. So a full house.

Http://hddaudio.net/viewtopic.php?pid=55366#p55366

bigblue235

Aug 22, 2007
Visit site
That may be due to the fact that you weren't regurgitating a lot of Dynaudio hype, you were just giving your opinion. That was interesting to read, as is people's thoughts and opinions on AVIs.

Re-reading Ashley's spiel, over and over, re-posted by multiple people... not so enjoyable.

matthewpiano

bigblue235 said:
That may be due to the fact that you weren't regurgitating a lot of Dynaudio hype, you were just giving your opinion. That was interesting to read, as is people's thoughts and opinions on AVIs.

Re-reading Ashley's spiel, over and over, re-posted by multiple people... not so enjoyable.

Sums it up perfectly.

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
bigblue235 said:

I totally understand the resentment. I agree with people on both sides. But the one big difference is that AVI are a company who do most sales direct and the face of AVI is always online and available. And while I also dislike much of the bluster and oversell, there is no doubt that they are superb speakers.

Is it worth cutting off your nose to spite your face?

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
oldric_naubhoff said:
steve_1979 said:
There's a bit more to it than that.

These are (apparently) the best drivers available. They have 50% more linear travel than any other of its size because it has a short coil in a long gap. Normally this doesn't work satisfactorily because eddy currents are generated in the metalwork and if you do anything to reduce them, you lose flux and the damping factor is lowered. The Illuminators use neodymium in a unique way and ensure linear magnetic flux over considerable length of magnetic field.

I just love reading some of your posts Steve.

you seem to know what operating differences lie between drivers with long coils within short gap and then with short coils within long gap. you also seem to know what eddy current is and what threat it makes to proper operating of the driver? and it also seems that Scanspeak is some sort of miracle-maker. because you can't do anything to reduce eddy current but Scanspeak did! :O

FYI using of neodymium magnets so that they create uniform magnetic field in which the coil is moving is nothing unique. it's the basic prerequisite for a dynamic driver to work properly. for instance in order to minimise driver induced distortion. also neodymium grants higher efficiency which is desirable.

I have to admit that I barely understand this and I had to ask Ash to explain it in laymans terms before I could get my head around why the Scanspeak Illuminator drivers are special. See post 344 and 345 for an explanation: http://hddaudio.net/viewtopic.php?pid=93307#p93307

A

Anonymous

bigblue235 said:

What hype? I own them, I'm listening to them now and they sound incredible, I love them, why don't you believe me? :)

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
ooh.. said:
bigblue235 said:

What hype? I own them, I'm listening to them now and they sound incredible, I love them, why don't you believe me? :)

Who said they don't believe you're enjoying your speakers?

bigblue235

Aug 22, 2007
Visit site
fr0g said:
I totally understand the resentment. I agree with people on both sides. But the one big difference is that AVI are a company who do most sales direct and the face of AVI is always online and available. And while I also dislike much of the bluster and oversell, there is no doubt that they are superb speakers.

Fair points, but I was the online face of a company I worked for and I was always available. I'd lik to think I have a superior knowledge of my product compared to most people in my field, but I've never acted that way on relevant forums. I've never spoken to my prospective customers, or about my competitors, the way Ashley does. That's what bothers me.

I don't know if I'm cutting off my nose to spite my face as I don't know which would bother me more: Missing out on a good pair of speakers, or spending £2k with a company I'm not a big fan of.

Max, as Ben said, where did I say I don't believe you? I said I don't like reading the hype, but do like reading opinions. If you can give your opinion without using Ash's lines, so much the better.

Messiah

chebby said:
matthewpiano said:
The thread began with the OP saying this:

richardw42 said:
First off please don't let this descend into an active vs passive fight. I'm not hear to preach or convert but just reports the facts as I see them.

Unfortunately I fear this thread is in danger of going the same way as these threads always do and it is a shame.

That ship left port on post #6 of page 4.

It was very pleasant until then.

You are right Chebby but the thread was always going to follow a very predictable path whether I posted that or not.

I try to refrain from all the arguments really and should probably have stayed out of it but I have made the post now so I cannot really change that. If it has caused any offence then I apologise.

But how do we prevent every AVI thread following this path? I do not think we can. The same faces will chip in with their support and others with their objections.

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
John Duncan said:
That's very public-spirited of you, Max, thanks. Hopefully you didn't indulge in made-up facts in that one. Helpfully, I've found the post which has sales, returns, and patronising of me. So a full house. Http://hddaudio.net/viewtopic.php?pid=55366#p55366

Usual stuff then really! :roll:

John,

In that thread you mentioned that you had some PMC DB1s-aii, are these powered active speakers and are they the ones you currently own? I am just interested, as some PMC TB2S-aii speakers caught my eye, which I believe are active. Have you heard them at all?

A

Anonymous

bigblue235 said:
fr0g said:

Fair points, but I was the online face of a company I worked for and I was always available. I'd lik to think I have a superior knowledge of my product compared to most people in my field, but I've never acted that way on relevant forums. I've never spoken to my prospective customers, or about my competitors, the way Ashley does. That's what bothers me.

I don't know if I'm cutting off my nose to spite my face as I don't know which would bother me more: Missing out on a good pair of speakers, or spending £2k with a company I'm not a big fan of.

Max, as Ben said, where did I say I don't believe you? I said I don't like reading the hype, but do like reading opinions. If you can give your opinion without using Ash's lines, so much the better.
To be fair, I was responding to David, who had "kindly" pointed out that one cannot return the 40s, he's so thoughtful and seems really really interested in all things AVI :)

Marketing spiel is all over this forum in one form or another (not a dig at the forum, just saying), but it's only AVI owners that are accused of "regurgitating it", when the way I see it is they're generally just giving their honest opinions and sometimes trying to explain the technology (often clumsily in my case) behind them.

WinterRacer

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
John Duncan said:
steve_1979 said:
John Duncan said:
Ah so now it's the drivers that matter, not the crossover?

Surely both are important?

Of course. But according to one manufacturer, "The weakest link in any speaker is its drivers".

JD, if you're I referring to AVI, the whole quote is along the lines of "Once you've got ride of the various distortions caused by a passive crossover by going active, the weakest link in any speaker is its drivers".

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
ooh.. said:
Oldric, here's a little challenge for you :)

For a budget of £3k, what seperate componants would you put together that in your opinion, would sound great, floorstanding speakers, DAC, preamp and very powerful integrated amplifier?

I'll take you up on your challenge:

Denon C640 CD player £500

Pioneer SF 700 active crossover £175

Coincident Frankenstein 300b prototype monoblocks for the midrange and treble £1650

Urei 6290 amp for the bass £150

Bozak Symphony speakers £500

Total price £2975

For a system with better midrange and treble but worse bass:

Denon C640 CD player £500

Either Urei or Coincident amp for £150 or £1650

EV Sentry III speakers £500

Total price £1150 or £2650

That's just using kit that I have in my home at the moment. I'm sure that there are thousands of other possible combinations that would sound just as good as my systems, if not better, for the £3000 budget.

John Duncan

Max, can you see any similarity between your statement about sales figures and returns and Ashley's statement on same? And can you see any subsequent irony in your statement about saying things as you see them?

bigblue235

Aug 22, 2007
Visit site
ooh.. said:
To be fair, I was responding to David, who had "kindly" pointed out that one cannot return the 40s, he's so thoughtful and seems really really interested in all things AVI :)

But you quoted me?

Marketing spiel is all over this forum in one form or another (not a dig at the forum, just saying), but it's only AVI owners that are accused of "regurgitating it", when the way I see it is they're generally just giving their honest opinions and sometimes trying to explain the technology (often clumsily in my case) behind them.

I've genuinely never seen anyone else (other than AVI fans) present a post as their own opinion when it's a rehash of comments used by the manufacturer. Maybe I've missed them, or maybe it's just because AVI stuff is so prevalent, distinctive or easy to spot? If anyone else did it it'd be just as annoying to me, I assure you. I just like genuine opinions.

People frequently do it on the golf forums, and they pass off equipment as incredible, the next big thing, and I know it's not. Some of the manufacturers use their own proprietary technology which is theoretically superior, but which makes no difference to the end result. Loads of people get sucked into the over-enthusiastic reviews, and end up buying stuff which is not *demonstrably* better than what they currently own.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts