My Demo of AVI ADM 9s and 40s

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

WinterRacer

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site

oldric_naubhoff

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
ooh.. said:
John Duncan said:
ooh.. said:
oldric_naubhoff said:
atticus said:
Quite simply, I was getting more Bang for my Buck.

I was not really arguing that you're not getting more bang for your buck. I'm fully on your side. what I'm arguing is that Avi's getting more bang for their buck with launch of 40s.
Oldric, here's a little challenge for you :)

For a budget of £3k, what seperate componants would you put together that in your opinion, would sound great, floorstanding speakers, DAC, preamp and very powerful integrated amplifier?

Well all DACs sound the same so that's the easy bit...
Correct.. But all drivers don't and the Scanspeaks are amongst the best, so at least a cheap DAC will mean more money for high quality speakers. I'm really looking forward to Oldric's suggestions :)

sorry Max. can't do. too hard... decent active xover alone costs 3700 USD. :cry:

clicky

oldric_naubhoff

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
WinterRacer said:
I've posted this info before...

The woofer is the Scanspeak Illuminator 6.5" 8ohm, product code 18wu-8741t00 (http://www.scan-speak.dk/datasheet/pdf/18wu-8741t00.pdf) and the tweeter the Scanspeak D2905.

The ADM9s use new drivers from Sinar Bajar, co-developed with AVI.

If you want to compare to other speakers using the same midwoofer as the 40s, there are some here: http://hddaudio.net/viewtopic.php?id=4390

As an example, 4000EUR for a passive standmount 2 way.

sorry mate. no my religion. IMO even the best dynamic drivers are hugely flawed from the start off. like 16.4g moving mass? b***h please! (no offence please for my last sentence. just a line from "Fear of the black hat" :))

gregvet

Dec 24, 2008
Visit site
oldric_naubhoff said:
gregvet said:
ooh.. said:
atticus said:
floyd droid said:
Is there a photo somewhere in this triathalon of a thread so i can see what all the fuss is about regarding these AVI doo-dahs.

Here you go, floyd droid

533460_10151675988005227_902315226_24011613_623648357_n.jpg
Ooh, that rug looks nice :)

Is it just me, or are the speakers damn fugly?

Shame as I love the idea of them, and would have considered them as a second system if they looked better. Maybe I've been spoiled by my spender sa1's :oops:

Nice rug and cute kitty tho :)

de gustibus non disputandum est! ;)

hmmm, I could have sworn that the recent price hike of small AVIs was mainly due to upgraded drivers in them. some Scanspeaks IIRC... I'm sure people that frequent HDD forum could tell for sure, but isn't it true that small and big AVIs use the same tweeters now? and even if the drives in 40s are better (at least more expensive) the price difference should be somewhere around 100 GBP (as Chebby pointed out the high street price for the woofers oscillates around 200 GBP mark rather than 300 GBP, and I'm pretty much sure woofer on 9s wouldn't cost much less than 100 GBP, if only less). and don't get me started on differences in electronics parts costs. it's chips compared to drivers (and I'm serious about it. no hint of sarcasm what so ever). so, is the price difference really justifiable within reason? or maybe it's that AVI decided to launch a product on which they could finally earn some profit? well, all the better for current and future users of 9s.

:?

Very true, thank god :cheers:

A

Anonymous

oldric_naubhoff said:
ooh.. said:
John Duncan said:
ooh.. said:
oldric_naubhoff said:
atticus said:

I was not really arguing that you're not getting more bang for your buck. I'm fully on your side. what I'm arguing is that Avi's getting more bang for their buck with launch of 40s.

For a budget of £3k, what seperate componants would you put together that in your opinion, would sound great, floorstanding speakers, DAC, preamp and very powerful integrated amplifier?

Correct.. But all drivers don't and the Scanspeaks are amongst the best, so at least a cheap DAC will mean more money for high quality speakers. I'm really looking forward to Oldric's suggestions :)

sorry Max. can't do. too hard... decent active xover alone costs 3700 USD. :cry:

clicky
So we're agreed? ADM40s are incredible value for money..

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
oldric_naubhoff said:
Phileas said:
FrankHarveyHiFi said:
So does the single transformer supply everything?

No, it only supplies the electrical power.

:)

I guess that what David has in mind is if one transformer powers all; DAC pre and power amps. which looks like it does.

The reason I asked was that I'm used to active speakers using a dedicated transformer for each amplifier (of which there are two in a 2-way active speaker). These seem to have one, which would mean they're using regulated supplies for each amplifier, the DAC, remote system, and pre?

floyd droid

Sep 5, 2008
Visit site
I do hope they have used Nylocs holding all the gubbins onto that back plate, because it sure looks like they havnt from where im sitting. Buzz buzz buzz .

Exshopguy

May 17, 2012
Visit site
Knowing the margins on most speaker brands, and factoring in the 20% VAT, these look like pretty good value considering the component costs of the drive units alone.

A

Anonymous

floyd droid said:
I do hope they have used Nylocs holding all the gubbins onto that back plate, because it sure looks like they havnt from where im sitting. Buzz buzz buzz .
I don't know how my ADMs are put together, but they certainly don't buzz :)

If any of you guys are interested in finding out about the more technical aspects of AVI's speakers then pop over to their forum where you'll get answers to any questions you may have.

John Duncan

ooh.. said:

Ah so now it's the drivers that matter, not the crossover?

Anyway...

DACMagic+ (DAC and preamp) - £349

Pair of Fying Mole Monoblocs (300w per channel, since power is your thing) - £890

PMC GB1i - £1,599

Total £2,780.45

How's that?

A

Anonymous

John Duncan said:
ooh.. said:

Ah so now it's the drivers that matter, not the crossover?

Anyway...

DACMagic+ (DAC and preamp) - £349

Pair of Fying Mole Monoblocs (300w per channel, since power is your thing) - £890

PMC GB1i - £1,599

Total £2,780.45

How's that?
There are many things that matter, as we know :)

That system you came up with looks great on paper, JD, I'd say it would sound great too as those PMCs are highly regarded and would certainly have plenty of power behind them..

It'd be interesting putting it up against the ADM40's...

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
These threads help the forum enormously.

Here is a picture of a transformer -
images

He told me one should never buy active speakers because they cause smug exchanges between smart-expletive deleteds.

Remember Why Don't You?

Bye.

A

Anonymous

John Duncan said:
FrankHarveyHiFi said:
I'd put the Twenty.22's in that system instead of the GB1i's.

Haven't heard them but if it comes in under 3 grand, fine.

EDIT - ah, no; have to be floorstanders. The oracle demands it.
I knew you were going to say that..

EDIT, btw, watch that lamp :)

Exshopguy

May 17, 2012
Visit site
What I'm struggling to understand in looking through many of the threads here is why aren't people allowed to like the AVI product? They always made good amps and the Neutrons were very nice little speakers, with that in mind I'd be willing to accept these active models, if designed well could be very decent speakers.

It seems they are getting more and more fans from people who've heard them but those who haven't are jumping in and trying to find reasons not to like them. As far as I can see this doesn't seem to be the case with many other products on the forum.

There seems to be a real passionate divide, they're only speakers. If you've heard them, like them and give your opinion then that's great, if you've heard them and didn't like them then you can convey that as well. If you haven't heard them I don't see how you can criticize?

oldric_naubhoff

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
steve_1979 said:
There's a bit more to it than that.

These are (apparently) the best drivers available. They have 50% more linear travel than any other of its size because it has a short coil in a long gap. Normally this doesn't work satisfactorily because eddy currents are generated in the metalwork and if you do anything to reduce them, you lose flux and the damping factor is lowered. The Illuminators use neodymium in a unique way and ensure linear magnetic flux over considerable length of magnetic field.

I just love reading some of your posts Steve.

you seem to know what operating differences lie between drivers with long coils within short gap and then with short coils within long gap. you also seem to know what eddy current is and what threat it makes to proper operating of the driver? and it also seems that Scanspeak is some sort of miracle-maker. because you can't do anything to reduce eddy current but Scanspeak did! :O

FYI using of neodymium magnets so that they create uniform magnetic field in which the coil is moving is nothing unique. it's the basic prerequisite for a dynamic driver to work properly. for instance in order to minimise driver induced distortion. also neodymium grants higher efficiency which is desirable.

oldric_naubhoff

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
ooh.. said:
oldric_naubhoff said:
ooh.. said:
John Duncan said:
ooh.. said:
oldric_naubhoff said:
atticus said:

clicky
So we're agreed? ADM40s are incredible value for money..

DIY Max. DIY. that's where true VFM lies. as for AVIs, I'd like to hear and judge for myself.

Phileas

May 5, 2012
Visit site
FrankHarveyHiFi said:
The reason I asked was that I'm used to active speakers using a dedicated transformer for each amplifier (of which there are two in a 2-way active speaker). These seem to have one, which would mean they're using regulated supplies for each amplifier, the DAC, remote system, and pre?

Oh I see. I didn't realise you were an expert!

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Phileas said:
FrankHarveyHiFi said:

Oh I see. I didn't realise you were an expert!

I've never claimed to be.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts