My Demo of AVI ADM 9s and 40s

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

oldric_naubhoff

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
Exshopguy said:
What I'm struggling to understand in looking through many of the threads here is why aren't people allowed to like the AVI product?

I'm personally not against AVI speakers. in fact I'm pretty much sure they are a decent product. it's marketing hyperbole and skewed perspective claims.

Exshopguy

May 17, 2012
Visit site
oldric_naubhoff said:
Exshopguy said:
What I'm struggling to understand in looking through many of the threads here is why aren't people allowed to like the AVI product?

I'm personally not against AVI speakers. in fact I'm pretty much sure they are a decent product. it's marketing hyperbole and skewed perspective claims.

Ahh, in that case I feel 95% of product out there should be put into focus!!

A

Anonymous

oldric_naubhoff said:
ooh.. said:
oldric_naubhoff said:
ooh.. said:
John Duncan said:
ooh.. said:
oldric_naubhoff said:
atticus said:
Quite simply, I was getting more Bang for my Buck.

I was not really arguing that you're not getting more bang for your buck. I'm fully on your side. what I'm arguing is that Avi's getting more bang for their buck with launch of 40s.
Oldric, here's a little challenge for you :)

For a budget of £3k, what seperate componants would you put together that in your opinion, would sound great, floorstanding speakers, DAC, preamp and very powerful integrated amplifier?

Well all DACs sound the same so that's the easy bit...
Correct.. But all drivers don't and the Scanspeaks are amongst the best, so at least a cheap DAC will mean more money for high quality speakers. I'm really looking forward to Oldric's suggestions :)

sorry Max. can't do. too hard... decent active xover alone costs 3700 USD. :cry:

clicky
So we're agreed? ADM40s are incredible value for money..

DIY Max. DIY. that's where true VFM lies. as for AVIs, I'd like to hear and judge for myself.
Few have the know how to build their own, Oldric, though i guess for those that do, DIY is a great idea.

I'd also like to hear the 40s, someday, hopefully :)

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
With regards to VFM.

I love my MAs. But I'm under no illusion that component and manufacturing costs come to anything like what I paid for them.

In my view I'm getting a much superior product for around what I paid for my current hi fi (Inc cables & stand)

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
ooh.. said:

Make sure you do get to hear them first, because I've just read that the 40's can't be returned once they've been purchased because they're exempt from DSR's because they're made to order - that's a ****** if you don't like them!

A

Anonymous

6993143006_40606eb04e_b.jpg

Why not put all that gubbins in a seperate box and attach it to the speakers with some wires. That way if you want to change the speakers or the amplifiers it's easier. Just an idea.....

floyd droid

Sep 5, 2008
Visit site
atticus said:
'Sacred cows' make for great tasting steak.

I used to be married to one of those, well she thought she was sacred, i just thought that she was a .......!. Couldnt cook steak to save her life. Hence 'used to be' lol.

atticus

Nov 18, 2011
Visit site
floyd droid said:
atticus said:

I used to be married to one of those, well she thought she was sacred, i just thought that she was a .......!. Couldnt cook steak to save her life. Hence 'used to be' lol.

Girls can't cook steak properly, floyd droid. And it's best not to let them try.

floyd droid

Sep 5, 2008
Visit site
RMutt said:
6993143006_40606eb04e_b.jpg

Why not put all that gubbins in a seperate box and attach it to the speakers with some wires. That way if you want to change the speakers or the amplifiers it's easier. Just an idea.....

Or even better. How about a separate power amp,preamp, dac, cdp and speakers. Not so sure that will ever catch on though .

floyd droid

Sep 5, 2008
Visit site
atticus said:
floyd droid said:
atticus said:

Girls can't cook steak properly, floyd droid. And it's best not to let them try.

Totaly agree. Sacrificed seems to spring to mind.

A

Anonymous

FrankHarveyHiFi said:
ooh.. said:

Make sure you do get to hear them first, because I've just read that the 40's can't be returned once they've been purchased because they're exempt from DSR's because they're made to order - that's a ****** if you don't like them!
Well i'll probably go to demo them at Ash's house, he's very accomodating that way once you ring a few days in advance, I've heard he sometimes buys a breakfast/lunch too :)

Plus there's a few dealers that'll be stocking them in the UK and across Europe too, and owners of AVI products are usually very friendly and helpful, and will often offer a demo to someone that lives nearby, just post a thread on AVI Forum, stating where you live, and I'm sure someone will help.

Of course at the moment there's very few 40s scattered about, but that'll change soon as they're selling like hotcakes :)

Phileas

May 5, 2012
Visit site
FrankHarveyHiFi said:

I'm buying a pair without listening first. I have complete confidence in AVI.

A

Anonymous

I should add that of the many thousands of pairs of ADM9s to be sold, only a handful of customers returned them, most were very happy as indeed i was, i bought without a demo and am i glad that i did as i love them.

WinterRacer

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
I bought my 9s without hearing them and very glad I bought them indeed. I did ask about active speakers in a few hi-fi shops when shopping for new amps and speakers a few years back, to be steered away from them. Something along the lines of "they're ok if they sound the way you want, but then you're stuck with them sounding that way". I guess no opportunities for cable sales, amp upgrades, bi-amping, interconnects, etc. mean trad hifi dealers aren't keen.

matthewpiano

The thread began with the OP saying this:

richardw42 said:
First off please don't let this descend into an active vs passive fight. I'm not hear to preach or convert but just reports the facts as I see them.

Unfortunately I fear this thread is in danger of going the same way as these threads always do and it is a shame.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
matthewpiano said:
The thread began with the OP saying this:

richardw42 said:
First off please don't let this descend into an active vs passive fight. I'm not hear to preach or convert but just reports the facts as I see them.

Unfortunately I fear this thread is in danger of going the same way as these threads always do and it is a shame.

That ship left port on post #6 of page 4.

It was very pleasant until then.

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
ooh.. said:
I should add that of the many thousands of pairs of ADM9s to be sold, only a handful of customers returned them, most were very happy as indeed i was, i bought without a demo and am i glad that i did as i love them.

I don't see what the relevance of this is. The only possible argument for relevance is 'a large proportion of people like them therefore someone else who buys them has a high chance of liking them.' But it's only meaningful if you have comparative data against other brands for what percentage of people return their goods. And I'm pretty sure no-one has sales figures, let alone return percentages.

OT, any word as to when the 40s are likely to be in real shops for demos?

John Duncan

BenLaw said:
ooh.. said:

I don't see what the relevance of this is. The only possible argument for relevance is 'a large proportion of people like them therefore someone else who buys them has a high chance of liking them.' But it's only meaningful if you have comparative data against other brands for what percentage of people return their goods. And I'm pretty sure no-one has sales figures, let alone return percentages.

My sales figures were quoted from the manufacturer himself. As are Max's returns figures. My only objection is to the word 'many' to describe 'three'.

I should also point out that that figure seems very good indeed to me for such a niche product (and by that I mean £1k+ hifi components, as opposed to active speakers).

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
John Duncan said:
BenLaw said:
ooh.. said:

My sales figures were quoted from the manufacturer himself. As are Max's returns figures. My only objection is to the word 'many' to describe 'three'.

I should also point out that that figure seems very good indeed to me for such a niche product (and by that I mean £1k+ hifi components, as opposed to active speakers).

It 'seems good' to me too, and I'm a fan of actives and I'm sure the 9s and 40s are both great. But how does this compare, say, to the return percentage for active ATCs? Or for those who keep wanting to make this active v passive, how do the figures compare to the return percentage for the components in the £3k system you put forward as an alternative?

In the absence of proper answers, what Max posted is just marketing, which is unnecessary from customers on an independent forum.

TRENDING THREADS