My Dad wants a compact system and also wants to play records

JamesOK

May 24, 2008
Visit site
Does anyone have a compact system rather than seperates? Can anyone recommend a decent one for around £250. He wants to be able to play records too so I am going to suggest he buys a turntable and speakers from ebay. Was thinking about a Project turntable and maybe, if we can find them, some 2nd hand mission 780s.

John Duncan

Yamaha CRX170 (model number off top of head - google 'yamaha micro') and Onkyo CR515-DAB fit the bill at the price. I like the Yamaha, others here the Onkyo - you pays your money.......

For playing records, you'll need a separate phono stage as neither has one, but the Project Debut Phono has one built in, or you can buy any turntable you like and add something like the Cambridge 540p (20 or 30 quid on eBay) or Project Phono Box (don't know prices, probably similar).

Lastly, speakers - I personally would get something slightly more contemporary like the Tannoy Mercury F1 Customs (£100) or Wharfedale Diamond 9.1s (£150), both of which should work well and match or better the Missions, whilst taking the gamble out of s/h. Budget may preclude otherwise, of course.

cheers

jd

JamesOK

May 24, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="JohnDuncan"]Yamaha CRX170 (model number off top of head - google 'yamaha micro') and Onkyo CR515-DAB fit the bill at the price. I like the Yamaha, others here the Onkyo - you pays your money.......

For playing records, you'll need a separate phono stage as neither has one, but the Project Debut Phono has one built in, or you can buy any turntable you like and add something like the Cambridge 540p (20 or 30 quid on eBay) or Project Phono Box (don't know prices, probably similar).

Lastly, speakers - I personally would get something slightly more contemporary like the Tannoy Mercury F1 Customs (£100) or Wharfedale Diamond 9.1s (£150), both of which should work well and match or better the Missions, whilst taking the gamble out of s/h. Budget may preclude otherwise, of course.

cheers

jd[/quote]

Thanks John, I'll look into those.

gpi

Mar 29, 2008
Visit site
The Yamaha CRX-M170 is only £135 plus £9.99 delivery from digitaldirect.co.uk. I just bought the Sennheiser MX560 ear-phones from them and received an excellent service with prompt delivery by Citylink.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts