My amp keeps turning itself off!

A

Anonymous

Mine has done this in the past, realised sunlight was shining on it.

A

Anonymous

Del Smith:Mine has done this in the past, realised sunlight was shining on it.

That wouldnt appear to be the cause at the moment would it......if only.....
emotion-5.gif

TheHomeCinemaCentre

Oct 1, 2008
Visit site
The most likely cause is a stray speaker cable touching the case and shorting the unit. Does it just go off or is it when you are turning up the volume, changing input? Have you move the amp lately? Is it new or has it been working fine for a long time?

Dan Turner

Jul 9, 2007
Visit site
I had an A32 and it did turn itself off every now and again. Mostly it happened when I lived in a particular place, and the only place for my hi-fi was in front if a radiator. I think that when the radiator was on, the temperature raised to a point where the amp's protection circuit cut in - I expect Del Smith's problem was the same when the sun shone on his amp.

It would also switch off if there was an interruption to the mains supply, even if it was so brief that no other appliance would be noticably affected - I've come home a few times to find that it was entirely off when I had left it on standby.

A more 'out-there' theory along the same vein as the stray speaker wire could be the magnetic fields of speaker or mains cables in close proximity interacting to make the amp think there's a short and invoking it's protection mechanism - unlikely, but could be worth make sure everything is reletively tidy and not twisted/coiled together.

Dougal1331

Dec 30, 2007
Visit site
It could be the power supply capacitors. If they've blown, they could cause erratic voltages which in turn cause the amp to shut down by tripping its protection circuits, or too high a voltage causing the amp to overheat.

Either that or you have a fridge or freezer which kicks a spike into the mains- my friends old Akai mini system (c.1994) used to switch itself on when their central heating turned off...

A

Anonymous

it could the the power supply at your new home - my old denon did the exact opposite as in it would turn its self on from standby (always interesting in the night!) I then brought a surge protector and it never happened again.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts