Musical home cinema solutions - advice please...

jacobmorrison

Feb 6, 2009
Visit site
With Naim and Cyrus quietly discontinuing their home cinema solutions, the choices available to punters looking for something a little bit different are dwindling. Multi-channel behemoths dominate the market, loaded with bells and whistles, powered by flux capacitors, weighing a ton even before the manual is included, and these are often downgrades in terms of stereo performance for most hifi fans compared to their existing integrated amps. Everything is designed to replace kit rather than to add to existing kit. Sure you can plug the pre-outs into your existing amp, if the AV amp has them, but with most 5.1 set-ups that still leaves two channels on the AV amp unused (unless the AV amp offers bridging). Auto set-ups, multi-room, networking options, all things that I'd bet many users would never need. Internet/DAB radio? I'd bet anyone who wants this already has an ipod with an internet radio ap, add an ipod dock and you're there already. So that's half the budget spent on features I don't need. I know this means I should be looking at the audiolab 8000AP/8000X7 combo but it's still two boxes and is that the only option left? My gear is not high-end but it would be nice to be able to upgrade the old Yamaha DSP-E800 without throwing the baby out with the bathwater. Suggestions gratefully received.

Chewy

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
If you're a purist hi-fi fan, I don't think a multi-channel reciever is a real consideration; you need a dedicated stereo amp.

If you want a one box, do-it-all solution, then there are always going to be compromises.

I agree that I will never use a lot of the features included on my reciever, and I whole heartedly agree - I wish the manufacturer had put all those costs into upgrading the features I will use for the same purchase price. However in all reality another owner of it might use or need those features I don't. Ultimately in a one box solution, the manufacture, by definition, has to make it a one box solution for everyone.

As far as I am aware it is frequently commented on these forums and others that Arcam amps represent a greater focus on stereo music play back at the expense of features, so that might be exactly what you are looking for.

kinda

May 21, 2008
Visit site
I've recently wondered about the possibility of having 3 or 4 stereo amps and a BluRay player with analogue outputs. I suppose the setup might be a bit more tricky, and the size is a bit offputting, but in terms of simplicity and sound quality for a price point probably a very good option.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts