Musical Fidelity's LS3/5A and the enduring appeal of BBC-inspired small speakers

ultraminiature

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
In January 1981 What Hi-fi listed LS3/5A versions from Chartwell and Rogers (30x18x16 cm) at £189. They would have been expected to be matched (by price) to amplifier like the A&R A60 (£190) and Cambridge P80 (£215). Speakers like the Kef 101 (£185, 34x19x18) and JR149 (£160, 37x23 dia) are slightly larger but offer a lower bass and retained the features liked in the LS3/5A design. Linn Kans were £184 (31x19x11).

From the demonstrations I heard I picked the JR149. Later I also came across the problem of matching amplifier. The JR149 need a far more capable amplifier than I paired them with (Cambridge P80 and later the JR149 Mk II with a Meridian MCA). The Kef 101 paired better with both the A&R A60 and Cambridge P80.

The price asked today indicates as much about the high price asked by many companies; higher than the x3.67 inflation figure given by the Bank of England. Inflation would suggest £700, not the £2300-2750 (x12.2) new asked or the £750-1250 seen for second hand LS3/5A speakers on offer.

Gray

The price asked today indicates as much about the high price asked by many companies; higher than the x3.67 inflation figure given by the Bank of England. Inflation would suggest £700, not the £2300-2750 (x12.2) new asked or the £750-1250 seen for second hand LS3/5A speakers on offer.
I wonder why people bother using those inflation calculators to say what prices should be - especially when it comes to latest, 'classic' hi-fi.
As you show, they're completely irrelevant.

Their invented prices work because enough people are prepared to encourage them.

Rui

Mar 23, 2021
Visit site
I wonder why people bother using those inflation calculators to say what prices should be - especially when it comes to latest, 'classic' hi-fi.
As you show, they're completely irrelevant.

Their invented prices work because enough people are prepared to encourage them.
well i think inflation is real and the cost of speakers are increased for one reason the increase of inflation as taxes that in my country are just created like if we were the ones to suport all happenings in the world , but in England ,having at least more control on public expensies, the rise of prices in consumables type leisure the tax here is 25% against 17% some years ago, mabe already 23 years ago, and career in civil servants was freezed in 2005 meaning i don´t see a cent. more than i received at the time but prices are 5 times increased more 23% of tax ,so i think inflation ais important to see what companies are charging more for having made this speakers compared to 6 years ago or 23 if in Portugal, my turntable i paid 1.250 escudos but if €´s it would be 6.25€´s if inflation and tax wouldn´t be calculated today they couldn´t sell a SL-1000R or G for more than 5.000€ against the better built and using a old cartridge and stylus which means not comparable sound quality, the SL-1000MKII with the EPC-300MC and pre-amp. SU-300MC and as alternative cartridge and stylus just take the all head and changed it to a shure v15 that i had at home not being used and at least 5 boxes of stylus of each kind, if not making this calculation one wouldn´t know how much more one is paying for the same item with a bit less quality not improved as they say ,i tested both

I edited this coment because the values i refer to have paid in € a inferior value as i made the convertion with a not real value so the price i paid wasn´t so low at the time, but 120.500 escudos in €´s 602.5

Last edited:

Chris P

Mar 12, 2024
Visit site
"Up until this point, the concept of a small hi-fi speaker didn’t exist."

Really? I think Celestion might beg to differ. The Celestion 10 dates back to the 60s: 5" mid bass and HF1300 tweeter

Reactions: Rui

chris chaplin

Mar 14, 2024
Visit site
I have owned a pair of Audiomaster LS3/5A's from new. Audiomaster was the in-house company of KJ Leisuresound on Wigmore Street. The Audiomaster's were £179 which was £10 cheaper than the Rogers at the time ( 1977 if memory serves). I have paired them with lots of different amps over the years including the obvious (A&R A60 / Audiolab 8000 series). I am currently running them with a pair of Bel Canto Ref 600M's to very good effect. The 600M's bring out as much bass as you could reasonably expect and even though they are being used in a large kitchen which hardly makes for ideal listening conditions, the sound is full providing you don't stray off into Heavy Metal or Orchestral territory where the obvious shortcomings become apparent. In short, they are great at a reasonable volume for music with plenty of air. Vocal and light jazz are particularly good. I sometimes simply sit back and marvel at how such a small speaker can produce such a great sound. Over the years, they have spent equal amounts of time being used and sitting in the attic. Somehow, I keep finding a place for them. I fully intend to keep enjoying them for many years to come. I have never heard a pair of modern LS3/5A's so have nothing to compare them with in that regard.

Rui

Mar 23, 2021
Visit site
"Up until this point, the concept of a small hi-fi speaker didn’t exist."

Really? I think Celestion might beg to differ. The Celestion 10 dates back to the 60s: 5" mid bass and HF1300 tweeter
i have to agree with Mr.Chris P. Didn´t had ever heard such a ridiculous sentence " ...,small hi-fi speaker didn´t exist."
You should look to some early 70´s speakers catalogs that are available for free on-line, i have Celestion ,JBL, Tannoy, Technics , Philips ,Kenwwod and Pioneer speakers from the 70´s.

There are litle and very big speakers from that decade, also being bigger doesn´t reflect the quality but only the type of speaker, all are hi-fi ,none of the brands refered had low-fi speakers .
maybe if not restored it might sound not that good today as they sounded when new with some use,

Speakers when new and never used they don´t have their maximum quality but only after some hours of working they do release their best sound.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts