Musical fidelity M6i or Naim Nait xs to drive my B&W 683

Page 29 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
acalex said:

PS Audio are a respectable company.

What I look for in a Mains Block is:

- No circuitry to interfere with performance

- Star wiring / Star earthing....ie. not daisy-chained

- Complete isolation between sockets

- Effective surge protection that doesn't interfere with performance

- Effectively shielded against EMI and RFI

- Have a well designed RF filter that does more good than harm.

- High purity heavy gauge copper

- Decent quality plugs

The product you liked does seem to cover most of those bases.....it does have different zones for different current devices, rather than having all plugs with the same current, so not sure if this is important or not.

Clearer Audio have well made products (Copper-Line / Silver-Line) here as well (up to 6 way): http://www.cleareraudio.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=18

Russ Andrews do 8 way PowerBlock (need to budget for a P/C): http://www.russandrews.com/

Ultimately, it will come down to your ears and VFM.

Interesting, does the Atlas ticks all boxes? I think having a good power strip would always be benefical and it something I can use also one day when I change house and I have a dedicated loop for my system...right?

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
acalex said:
Interesting, does the Atlas ticks all boxes? I think having a good power strip would always be benefical and it something I can use also one day when I change house and I have a dedicated loop for my system...right?

The only box it doesn't tick, is that it only comes with 4 sockets....and for that, it's a little expensive.

There are those who think that there should be no surge protection, but I disagree, provided it's done effectively.

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
acalex said:

The only box it doesn't tick, is that it only comes with 4 sockets....and for that, it's a little expensive.

There are those who think that there should be no surge protection, but I disagree, provided it's done effectively.

Yes indeed. The PS Audio has 10 sockets. There is also a nice Kemp Electronics (brand from holland) which comes with 4, 6 and 8 plugs and tick most of the boxes I think. It also comes already with a 1.5mt cable which can be custom made to match the desired lenght.

Here the link: Click

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
acalex said:
Yes indeed. The PS Audio has 10 sockets. There is also a nice Kemp Electronics (brand from holland) which comes with 4, 6 and 8 plugs and tick most of the boxes I think. It also comes already with a 1.5mt cable which can be custom made to match the desired lenght.

Here the link: Click

Your link didn't work for me - is this what you are talking about: http://www.kempelektroniks.nl/FilesContent/menu/menu000201/pdf_ps_power_source_en_plus__eng__logo_scherpe_foto.pdf

If it is, it's more of a conditioner, but they say they paid a lot of attention to getting power amps to sound right - so the only way to know is give it a listen.

Edit. It's probably this you were referring to: http://www.kempelektroniks.nl/FilesContent/menu/menu000222/pdf_ps_power_strip__eng.pdf

The Power Strip Plus certainly looks as if it might do the job.....worth a try.

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Well...convinced by a friend who came over for a few days...I plugged today the graphite cables to a stone cold system. We played the some vinyl we played yesterday through the Siltech which was a Stockfish record, Sara K. - waterfalls. It was everything much bigger, wider and deeper. The dynamic range was increased and the bass more articulate. The acoustic gutiar was simply stunning but bever bright ot harsh.

This is for sure a great cable and the best I have tried so far. Comparing this with the Siltech 330L is not probably a fair comparison as 2x2mt of graphite cost more than twice 2x2mt of 330L...

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
acalex said:
Well...convinced by a friend who came over for a few days...I plugged today the graphite cables to a stone cold system. We played the some vinyl we played yesterday through the Siltech which was a Stockfish record, Sara K. - waterfalls. It was everything much bigger, wider and deeper. The dynamic range was increased and the bass more articulate. The acoustic gutiar was simply stunning but bever bright ot harsh.

This is for sure a great cable and the best I have tried so far. Comparing this with the Siltech 330L is not probably a fair comparison as 2x2mt of graphite cost more than twice 2x2mt of 330L...

I kept feeling that TQ should work really well in your system....it all comes down to what the improvement is worth. Sometimes it's very hard to go back. :shifty:

- What is your findings re the DS with a power cord?

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
The new personal league table is the following one

1. Tellurium Q Graphite = Impressive soundtage and focus, increased dynamics, plenty of details, very transparent = 100%

1. Siltech 330L = Transparent, detailed and very musical = 90%

2. TQ Ultra Black = Detailed, big dynamics, fast, not so musical as the Siltech = 85%

3. Vertere = Nice soundstage, not as trasparent as the others 2, nice imaging, less details. = 75%

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
acalex said:

1. Tellurium Q Graphite = Impressive soundtage and focus, increased dynamics, plenty of details, very transparent = 100%

2. TQ Ultra Black = Detailed, big dynamics, fast, not so musical as the Siltech = 85%

3. Vertere = Nice soundstage, not as trasparent as the others 2, nice imaging, less details. = 75%

Does this mean that the Graphite matches the "musicality" of the Siltech, but is better everywhere else?

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
acalex said:

Does this mean that the Graphite matches the "musicality" of the Siltech, but is better everywhere else?

So far yes, haven't add opportunity to have an extensive listening. It especially increased the dynamic range so I get more low frequencies now...but still very limited booming

But at 2.3 times the price I was kind of expecting that...for me the Siltech 330L is still the best VFM in terms of investement at this stage...

Roby

Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
acalex said:
CnoEvil said:
acalex said:

So far yes, haven't add opportunity to have an extensive listening. It especially increased the dynamic range so I get more low frequencies now...but still very limited booming

But at 2.3 times the price I was kind of expecting that...for me the Siltech 330L is still the best VFM in terms of investement at this stage...

not shure thats true

if you compare full price of 2x2m 330l its 1340€

2x2m graphite is 2200€

but than if we are a day able to compare it to 770l thats 2x2m = 3700€...... :O

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Roby said:
acalex said:
CnoEvil said:
acalex said:

not shure thats true

if you compare full price of 2x2m 330l its 1340€

2x2m graphite is 2200€

but than if we are a day able to compare it to 770l thats 2x2m = 3700€...... :O

Yes, you are right...I was comparing the prices WE have... :)

If the guy can just drop a 20% I think he has got himself a deal...

paradiziac

Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
Reading with interest having compared TQ graphite v Siltech 550L RCA interconnects...

The TQ graphite was as Alex described, huge dynamic sound with tons of detail—lots of "air around the instruments". I was blown away initially but got tired of it.

For me the Siltech had beautiful highs and the way notes decayed and the overall tone of instruments just seemed "right" in a way that the TQ didn't—for me the TQ was more "hifi", but since I seem to be the only one to think this, it's obviously subjective ;)

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
paradiziac said:
Reading with interest having compared TQ graphite v Siltech 550L RCA interconnects...

The TQ graphite was as Alex described, huge dynamic sound with tons of detail—lots of "air around the instruments". I was blown away initially but got tired of it.

For me the Siltech had beautiful highs and the way notes decayed and the overall tone of instruments just seemed "right" in a way that the TQ didn't—for me the TQ was more "hifi", but since I seem to be the only one to think this, it's obviously subjective ;)

I haven't listened to the 550L to be honest, and indeed is not fair to compare the graphite with the 330L. I need to run a "long session" with the graphite to make sure I also do not get tired of it... :)

For now I am still a bit more on Siltech than Graphite for a few reasons (dealer, budget, upgrade path, etc...)

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
I'm bringing our discussion back over here.

I have spoken to John Carrick (Atlas) this morning, and he said the press release that I linked to, is for an up-rated product that isn't released yet. This means that there is no MOV spike protection (it's done by a silver fuse), and no advanced low pass RF filter. I think he likes things as straightforward and simple as possible to maximize sound quality, which could be holding things up till they get it totally right.

I will shortly be assessing the effect it has, checking out their balanced mains transformer, as well as the Clearer Audio Block.

I am really glad you are trying everything you can get hold of.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
acalex said:
paradiziac said:

I haven't listened to the 550L to be honest, and indeed is not fair to compare the graphite with the 330L. I need to run a "long session" with the graphite to make sure I also do not get tired of it... :)

For now I am still a bit more on Siltech than Graphite for a few reasons (dealer, budget, upgrade path, etc...)

In your case, the Jadis + SF will benefit from a lively clean cable (imo), as it tends to the darker / warmer side.

Roby

Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
acalex said:
paradiziac said:

In your case, the Jadis + SF will benefit from a lively clean cable (imo), as it tends to the darker / warmer side.

I realiy think it depends of your set up

I mean in my case I has a wow effect really but a long listing session could be tiering so I was thinking might not be the best choice for me

But like said before y set is more attacking as alex's is more colorfull I think

An also have to say I suspected yhose cables where going to be a suberb match in alex's system here for

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Roby said:
I realiy think it depends of your set up

I certainly think it does, which is why different approaches to construction need to be tried.

The two best cables I heard on the 35i / Refs, was the Atlas and the Cardas...hence my unsubtle pressure to try them. :shifty:

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Golden ref PC arrived yesterday... again it had a negative affect on the amp... SQ increased base, which is the last thing I need! So tried it on CDP... no negative affect, but adversely no real positive affect either.

I should be receiving the SC's today, but I'm beginning to wonder if the SHL5's are just too big for my listening space.

Most of the time and at normal volume levels, 8 on the dial, SQ is sublime, but on certain recordings when turning it up to 9 then the boom starts.

Alternatively, I'll get this flooring ripped up, lay some cement down and tile over the top.

Getting a bit disheartened to be honest... really want these cable tweeks to work, but no point in just papering over cracks to only end up regretting it.

Mac

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Yesterday I had another good listening session with the Graphite...and they do sound huge. Rodrigo Y Gabriela CD sounded amazing with a timing and clarity which was impressive. It was just like standing there in front of them playing...

Rob, could you please come this weekend to my place to give me a second advice on this? :dance:

Is there any way to find second hand in UK?

Roby

Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
acalex said:
Yesterday I had another good listening session with the Graphite...and they do sound huge. Rodrigo Y Gabriela CD sounded amazing with a timing and clarity which was impressive. It was just like standing there in front of them playing...

Rob, could you please come this weekend to my place to give me a second advice on this? :dance:

Shure no prob

Also had no time yesterday but will send guido a mail tonight.

I let you know

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
acalex said:

I suspect your best hope would be ex-dem, as this is some of the best cable out there.......I can''t think too much of it is sold, and when it is, it will be held on to.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Macspur said:
Golden ref PC arrived yesterday... again it had a negative affect on the amp... SQ increased base, which is the last thing I need! So tried it on CDP... no negative affect, but adversely no real positive affect either.

I should be receiving the SC's today, but I'm beginning to wonder if the SHL5's are just too big for my listening space.

Most of the time and at normal volume levels, 8 on the dial, SQ is sublime, but on certain recordings when turning it up to 9 then the boom starts.

Alternatively, I'll get this flooring ripped up, lay some cement down and tile over the top.

Getting a bit disheartened to be honest... really want these cable tweeks to work, but no point in just papering over cracks to only end up regretting it.

Mac

Hi Mac

I would expect the G. Ref p/c to give extra bass, which could well exacerbate the boominess if there are acoustic issues. Aside from the bass, did the cord bring any benefits. I would have expected the sound to be cleaner, more detailed and dynamic, with less grit in the treble (ie. more natural).

As an experiment, I strongly suggest you try and borrow some Track Audio stands, which have very well engineered isolation built in.....they are very expensive, but might prove VFM if they sorted out your problem, and saved you ripping up the floor.... I know of one case where they were the only solution: http://www.trackaudio.co.uk/

Can you try temporarily bring your speakers forward from the back wall just to see what happens to the bass?

Edit. It is worth reading the review section of the TA site, but they also include this personal one (all be it on the Floorstander version): http://www.rdhworld.myzen.co.uk/smfcu/index.php?topic=19889

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts