Musical fidelity M6i or Naim Nait xs to drive my B&W 683

Page 27 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

iceman16

CnoEvil said:
iceman16 said:
I use SDS isofeet under the EMC 1UP cdp, IME they did work better than the black ravioli for my taste. The black ravioli under the cdp makes the sound more detailed and defined but with the expense of fluidity and overall musicality.

I found that happened to me with the Bigfeet, but the ordinary pads worked for the DS. I take it you are talking about the ordinary pads.

Yes the ordinary BR with spacers.

iceman16

CnoEvil said:
iceman16 said:

I don't use the (Corian) spacers.......don't know if that makes the difference.

I think most isolation pads and feet are system dependant. I also tried the isofeet under the AMS but did'nt like the outcome. It took the warmth and silkyness of the AMS. The soundstage also drops a bit.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
iceman16 said:
CnoEvil said:
iceman16 said:

I think most isolation pads and feet are system dependant. I also tried the isofeet under the AMS but did'nt like the outcome. It took the warmth and silkyness of the AMS. The soundstage also drops a bit.

Did you happen to try the BR under the AMS?

iceman16

CnoEvil said:
iceman16 said:
CnoEvil said:
iceman16 said:

I don't want my wifey to smell burned ravioli

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
iceman16 said:
CnoEvil said:
iceman16 said:
CnoEvil said:
iceman16 said:

I don't want my wifey to smell burned ravioli

LOL! will check out the SDS Iceman.

Got the quotes through from the dealer... still pretty expensive. To be fair, he's knocking 10% off, but only got until March to make a decision... Need to book a holiday and I'm afraid that will probably take priority... Never say never though.

Mac

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Macspur said:
Well, the dealer left about an hour ago.

He brought with him a Siltech SPX800 PC, didn''t have any 330 SC's so brought some 550's.

Started by listening to a track with my system as it is, then changed out the Sc's... more dynamic, but the most noticeable thing was the way they tamed the slight boom I occasionally get.

Next he connected the PC to the Sugden straight into the mains, leaving the 550's in... this was quite dreadful... seem to drain all warmth from the music, so swapped it over to the CDP and plugged a Vovox PC into the amp... this was definitely better, but, not sure it made enough of a difference to warrent spending that kind of money.

Apparrently, the 330's are a bit warmer than the 550's, not so neutral, which would suit me, so will probably, when funds allow, settle on those.

The dealer seem to think the system would benefit from having both the amp and CDP with Siltech PC's, but I'm not convinced. He also recommended an MIT to use with CDP at a very good price and would let me have it on a sale or return basis.

He is also going to Email me details on some damping plates he carrys, that can be placed on top of CDP's and amps for eliminating boomyness.

A really nice guy to deal with and I made it clear from the outset that I'm not in a position to purchase right now and he was cool with that on the understanding any consessions he is offering may expire... fair enough

Mac

Mac, FWIW my advice is to remain skeptical, but try everything out, as hitting on the right mix is trial and error (and luck).

Removing unwanted vibrations / resonances from amps and CDPs can have a positive effect, but hard to predict.

MIT is highly rated by Iceman, so worth a try. Also, I found the Cardas Golden Ref P/C did for me what I think you are looking for.

Keep us updated

Cno

Cno,

Priority is speaker cable and PC's, but I won't be rushed into anything.

Would you use the Cardas PC with the amp or CDP?

Mac

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Mac, thanks for your review. I have read sowewhere the 330L are more musical than 550L. In order to get the same quality of 550L and the musicality of 330L you would need to get to the 770L :)

As far as I am concerned, the TQ Ultra Back are back in the box. Great cables, they would probably be my choice so far if I hadn't come across the Siltech 330L

Power conditionef from PS Audio (Perfect Wave 3) is also back in the box, not worth...at least not in my system.

Next step would be trying a "simple" power strip. I think Francis has in stock something...let you know

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Macspur said:
Cno,

Priority is speaker cable and PC's, but I won't be rushed into anything.

Would you use the Cardas PC with the amp or CDP?

Mac

Myself and Rob got more gain from putting it on the amp (but we have the same one); Alex got more gains on his source (don't know if he has tried one on the DS). My dealer would advise putting it on the source; a big cable review I read, found that the biggest gains were on amps.

My own hunch is that if you have a Class A amp, it may well be the best place to put it.....but it's not hard to test.

Here is the test, in case it's of interest (the VFM charts for source / amp are at the end): http://www.audiodrom.cz/en-version/262.html

Their assessment of the Cardas GR is near enough what I found: http://www.audiodrom.cz/en-version/258.html

csq2

Mar 28, 2010
Visit site
Listened to both Musical Fidelity M6i and Naim XS this weekend. The Musical Fidelity does sound slightly better than the Naim, but only by a small margin particularly in the bass region. The XS and the M6i cost almost the same, so get the M6i for bit more $$$.

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
csq2 said:
Listened to both Musical Fidelity M6i and Naim XS this weekend. The Musical Fidelity does sound slightly better than the Naim, but only by a small margin particularly in the bass region. The XS and the M6i cost almost the same, so get the M6i for bit more $$$.

Hi,

Good to read your findings, but you need to read back a bit and you will see the journey quickly evolves quite differently from the subject matter.

Mac

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Cno,

I've been looking for deals on Cardas power chords and I would be grateful if you could clarify something for me.

On one site I've seen a Cardas Golden reference PC and on another it's described just as a Golden PC... are these two different cables? or just an omission by the dealer?

Can't see anything on the Cardas website to clear this one up.

Mac

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Macspur said:
Cno,

I've been looking for deals on Cardas power chords and I would be grateful if you could clarify something for me.

On one site I've seen a Cardas Golden reference PC and on another it's described just as a Golden PC... are these two different cables? or just an omission by the dealer?

Mac

Yes i can help.

The Golden PC is really attached to the Golden Cross range. It was slightly cheaper than the Golden Ref P/C, and doesn't have the broad band power line filtration of the Ref. It's supposed to sound slightly more "golden" and suits high power amps: http://www.dedicatedaudio.com/inc/sdetail/125/168 and http://www.dedicatedaudio.com/inc/sdetail/125/167

It is not quite as flexible as the GR, in case this is an issue.

Audiofreaks probably have the best value, and Cardas seem to have upgraded the wall plug to an expensive Furutech one: http://www.audiofreaks.co.uk/boutique/cables/power-cords

Cardas have upgraded their website and have dropped some of their products with the introduction of their Clear range.

FWIW. If both are a similar price, I would go for the Golden Ref, if not, the Golden is still a good P/C......do you have the option of returning it if things don't work out?

If you deal with Audiofreaks, please check the "terms and conditions", as in order to return goods in the "cooling off" period, the package has to be unopened and a 15% re-stocking fee. Branco may take a more lenient attitude on ex-dem stuff, or he may not.

Let me know how you go.

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Macspur said:
Cno,

Mac

Yes i can help.

The Golden PC is really attached to the Golden Cross range. It was slightly cheaper than the Golden Ref P/C, and doesn't have the broad band power line filtration of the Ref. It's supposed to sound slightly more "golden" and suits high power amps: http://www.dedicatedaudio.com/inc/sdetail/125/168 and http://www.dedicatedaudio.com/inc/sdetail/125/167

It is not quite as flexible as the GR, in case this is an issue.

Audiofreaks probably have the best value, and Cardas seem to have upgraded the wall plug to an expensive Furutech one: http://www.audiofreaks.co.uk/boutique/cables/power-cords

Cardas have upgraded their website and have dropped some of their products with the introduction of their Clear range.

FWIW. If both are a similar price, I would go for the Golden Ref, if not, the Golden is still a good P/C......do you have the option of returning it if things don't work out?

If you deal with Audiofreaks, please check the "terms and conditions", as in order to return goods in the "cooling off" period, the package has to be unopened and a 15% re-stocking fee. Branco may take a more lenient attitude on ex-dem stuff, or he may not.

Let me know how you go.

Thanks for that Cno.

The Golden power is going for £250 and the Golden ref for £325.

I have also seen some Golden Cross SC's going for £1,000 Where does the Golden Cross range come in the Cardas scale of things?

Mac

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Macspur said:
Thanks for that Cno.

The Golden power is going for £250 and the Golden ref for £325.

I have also seen some Golden Cross SC's going for £1,000 Where does the Golden Cross range come in the Cardas scale of things?

Mac

The Golden Cross were originally the top cable from Cardas. They then introduced the Golden Reference, which is more expensive and more neutral and revealing (though still with the Cardas sound). So for many years, it was the second best cable they produced. It was only with the introduction of the very expensive Clear, and super expensive Clear Beyond, that they dropped down the pecking order a little.

George Cardas's advice was to go for the GC in a normal domestic situation, where the room hadn't been properly treated.....it is slightly rolled off, less revealing and warmer compared to the GR......I love them, but some people find them too "honeyed" and go for the likes of Nordost, which are faster and leaner.

Cardas have now moved on with their Clear range (and dropped the GR and some of the GC).....these are very natural, but a little more neutral than the Golden range.......I haven't heard this personally, but have read a lot about it. There are now two very happy owners of Cardas Clear Light on here, and I hope to persuade Rob and Alex to add them to their demo list.

The GC would fit into the range like this (cost-wise):

Clear Beyond -> Clear -> G.Ref -> G.Cross -> Clear Light

So it is pretty highend.

EDIT. Make sure they are from a reputable source, and preferably with the cert of authenticity.....as there are fakes about.

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Mac, I think you should really try the 330l as apparently the 550l is a different cable and less musical than the 330. Used in combination with siltech interconnect should give you a more open sound, transparent, detailed and very very enjoyable.

paradiziac

Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
FWIW, I've found power cords to have the biggest effect on digital sources (in my case USB converter and to a lesser extent, DAC and PC). IME it's important to isolate the digital kit from the amp.

So far, power cords on my amp have either made little difference or sounded worse than a standard unshielded lead.

My understanding of power is that it's not just about having a clean supply from the socket, it's also about minimizing the EMI/RFI that your digital gear injects back into the system.

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
paradiziac said:
FWIW, I've found power cords to have the biggest effect on digital sources (in my case USB converter and to a lesser extent, DAC and PC). IME it's important to isolate the digital kit from the amp.

So far, power cords on my amp have either made little difference or sounded worse than a standard unshielded lead.

My understanding of power is that it's not just about having a clean supply from the socket, it's also about minimizing the EMI/RFI that your digital gear injects back into the system.

Indeed, that was my finding. everything dropped with the Siltech plugged into the Sugden, SQ was flat and lifeless.

Didn't notice a big enough difference with it plugged into the Electro though, to warrent the expense.

Just waiting to hear back if I can home dem the Cardas Golden Reference PC before purchase.

Mac

TRENDING THREADS