Musical fidelity M6i or Naim Nait xs to drive my B&W 683

Page 26 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
acalex said:
I am also now using the PS Audio Power Plant 3...

How are you finding that?......better / worse / different.

It was a brand new out of the box unit. I stopped listening to Eva Cassdy - Fields of Gold before introducing the PS Audio. Re-played the same song and the background noise (which is btw on the record) was much more audible...

I have gained some trasparence and I also have the impression the bass department improved quite a bit. The unit is completely silent

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
acalex said:
It was a brand new out of the box unit. I stopped listening to Eva Cassdy - Fields of Gold before introducing the PS Audio. Re-played the same song and the background noise (which is btw on the record) was much more audible...

I have gained some trasparence and I also have the impression the bass department improved quite a bit. The unit is completely silent

You will have an interesting time with this.

The ideal is to have a cleaner sound, from a quieter background with less "grunge".....but without becoming analytical and losing musicality or the dynamics reduced.

It may also have a bearing how different cables sound, so worth re-testing all.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
acalex said:
Not much time to listen today as I had to do some works to make things nicer...almost done.

Enjoying tonight a lit bit of vinlys...and must say since the beginning I prefer the UltraBlack to the Vertere. More transparent and more detailed...at least for now :)

If you haven't done so, I suggest you make a "Lead Table" on Excel, as you are testing so many cables / models.

Like a HiFi mag, I would put Pros; Cons; % sound rating (ie. best possible cable would be 100%); VFM position (1st, 2nd etc).

Thinking about it last night......triggered by Ben's comment and the addition of the Power Plant....that it would be sensible to get any speaker isolation problems sorted, before the final decision. I'm thinking particularly about Rob here, who needs the spikes, Granite and Auralex under the speakers.

The other thing you could do to verify your results, is to conduct the test with all the cables at your excellent dealer.

Hopefully you will get round to testing Atlas Mavros and Cardas Clear Light as well.

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
acalex said:
Not much time to listen today as I had to do some works to make things nicer...almost done.

Enjoying tonight a lit bit of vinlys...and must say since the beginning I prefer the UltraBlack to the Vertere. More transparent and more detailed...at least for now :)

If you haven't done so, I suggest you make a "Lead Table" on Excel, as you are testing so many cables / models.

Like a HiFi mag, I would put Pros; Cons; % sound rating (ie. best possible cable would be 100%); VFM position (1st, 2nd etc).

Thinking about it last night......triggered by Ben's comment and the addition of the Power Plant....that it would be sensible to get any speaker isolation problems sorted, before the final decision. I'm thinking particularly about Rob here, who needs the spikes, Granite and Auralex under the speakers.

The other thing you could do to verify your results, is to conduct the test with all the cables at your excellent dealer.

Hopefully you will get round to testing Atlas Mavros and Cardas Clear Light as well.

I agree, the power plant was just a curiosity, I saw the toy there and I took it! :)

It is going back this weekend already...still want to try a good qualoty power strip first as I am not sure I need a power conditioner...

For me considering VFM that would be an easy ranking so far, if I have the time whis week I will make a ranking. As far as I am concerned I would but something like this

1. Siltech 330L = Transparent, detailed and very musical = 100%

2. TQ Ultra Black = Detailed, big dynamics, fast, not so musical as the Siltech = 95%

3. Vertere = Nice soundstage, not as trasparent as the others 2, nice imaging, less details. = 80%

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
acalex said:
I agree, the power plant was just a curiosity, I saw the toy there and I took it! :)

It is going back this weekend already...still want to try a good qualoty power strip first as I am not sure I need a power conditioner...

What effect did the Power Plant have?

If I was getting a quality strip (and I hope to, at some stage), I would be looking at this: http://www.atlascables.com/assets/files/pdfs-reviews/HFC_Eos_4way_power.pdf

I like the fact that the sockets are isolated from each other; and there is no filtering, but surge protection.

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
acalex said:

What effect did the Power Plant have?

If I was getting a quality strip (and I hope to, at some stage), I would be looking at this: http://www.atlascables.com/assets/files/pdfs-reviews/HFC_Eos_4way_power.pdf

I like the fact that the sockets are isolated from each other; and there is no filtering, but surge protection.

Usually in the most expensive there are never filters, also Kemp Electronics and Siltech produce some.

Still too early to say, a better transparency but very track dependant...on a few tracks I couldn't hear much difference. At least for now its price is not justified...but my listening has not been very critical has I have many things going on in this period.

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Macspur said:
acalex said:
:O
Macspur said:
Ordered the Siltech G7 Classic anniversary 330 XLR's today and have a dealer coming over next Wed to demo some Siltech power chords and SC's.

From the brief conversation I had today with him, in his opinion, in terms of improving SQ, i.c's and power chords take priority over SC's... interesting.

Mac

Nice move Mac! Can't wait to read your impressions.

What I found out is that in my system the pc made almost no difference behind the amp (probably for other problems with the main as all my equipment is plugged into a commercial power strip) but it made a stunning difference behind the phono stage.

Regarding sc and ic I think they should be heard together as they need to complement themselves. I tried first the sc and the difference was already very meaningful especially at low volume. Then i nstalled the ic and it was another system...

Keep us posted!

Certainly will Alex.

Just hope the I.c's arrive before the guy turns up on Wednesday with the other gear!

Mac

The Siltech XLR's arrived today... very very pleased with them.

Superbly made and most importantly SQ improved... more definition and body, vocals are, dare I say, lifelike!... I'm a believer!

Can't wait to hear what else the PC's and SC's can possibly bring to the party!

Back tomorrow.

Mac

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Macspur said:

Superbly made and most importantly SQ improved... more definition and body, vocals are, dare I say, lifelike!... I'm a believer!

Back tomorrow.

Mac

It's not a matter of "if "cables make a difference, but "which" cables do so! :twisted:

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Macspur said:
Macspur said:
acalex said:
Macspur said:
Ordered the Siltech G7 Classic anniversary 330 XLR's today and have a dealer coming over next Wed to demo some Siltech power chords and SC's.

From the brief conversation I had today with him, in his opinion, in terms of improving SQ, i.c's and power chords take priority over SC's... interesting.

Mac

What I found out is that in my system the pc made almost no difference behind the amp (probably for other problems with the main as all my equipment is plugged into a commercial power strip) but it made a stunning difference behind the phono stage.

Regarding sc and ic I think they should be heard together as they need to complement themselves. I tried first the sc and the difference was already very meaningful especially at low volume. Then i nstalled the ic and it was another system...

Keep us posted!

Certainly will Alex.

Just hope the I.c's arrive before the guy turns up on Wednesday with the other gear!

Mac

Back tomorrow.

Mac

Yes...now you see what we were talking about all the time!!! :)

Can't wait to read your impression after plugging the 330L as I think you get the best improvement when the whole lot is plugged and works as a set...

Roby

Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
Well

Those grafithe are still realy good

an exceptionaly transparant in my system, but this can be a bit tiering afther a longer listening session.

An depending of my mood some times I want more fun....if you understand what I mean.

So for me the the Siltech are slightly smother an musical but this is really not by much.

Difference witch is important to me is that with the 330L I came home an put my system on immidiatly couldn't really wait...no I wait wait for 15 at 30min that everything is cooling down afther work.

Becaus the level of transparency of the graphite make me analyse more, well my geess is that that's part of the reason.

will see what the UB will bring...

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Roby said:
Well

an exceptionaly transparant in my system, but this can be a bit tiering afther a longer listening session.

An depending of my mood some times I want more fun....if you understand what I mean.

So for me the the Siltech are slightly smother an musical but this is really not by much.

Difference witch is important to me is that with the 330L I came home an put my system on immidiatly couldn't really wait...no I wait wait for 15 at 30min that everything is cooling down afther work.

Becaus the level of transparency of the graphite make me analyse more, well my geess is that that's part of the reason.

It's nice to see we come to the same conclusions... ;)

paradiziac

Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
Seems to mirror my experience.

I've compared TQ graphite v Siltech 550L interconnects in my system.

The TQ graphite sounded initially impressive but were ultimately boring. It is as if the "whole" of the music was being separated into its parts. The Siltechs won hands down in terms of musicality and tone. With these in the system it was hard to stop listening!

One day....

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Roby said:
Well

This is exactly what I was expecting to happen, and why it "might" be a good match with Alex's system. I was expecting Vertere to have a similar level of detail....well, the Pulse R anyway. You would probably have to go up to the Pulse X Ref to match the Graphite....I'm still not sure what is going on there.

I would expect the Mavros to be a nice compromise between TQ and Siltech. The Cardas should have the musicality of the Siltech and the detail level of the UB......in theory anyway.....all will come out in the wash over time.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
paradiziac said:
Seems to mirror my experience.

I've compared TQ graphite v Siltech 550L interconnects in my system.

The TQ graphite sounded initially impressive but were ultimately boring. It is as if the "whole" of the music was being separated into its parts. The Siltechs won hands down in terms of musicality and tone. With these in the system it was hard to stop listening!

One day....

Sounds like Cardas and Siltech have a fair bit in common.....you haven't compared them by any chance?

paradiziac

Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
No, not heard Cardas. From the others mentioned I like Atlas.

For the guys who like the 330's, try the 550 or 770. I tried the 220 and the 550 is a big step up!

What was most interesting to me from my cable experiments was that first, you don't need such a high end system to hear the benefits of high end cabling, as long as you use the same quality cabling throughout. But then second, even when spending large amounts of money, it's easy to hear the flaws of one cable when you compare directly to another in the same price range, and vice versa. And to get the benefits of both you generally need to spend twice as much!

At that point I more or less gave up!

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
paradiziac said:
No, not heard Cardas. From the others mentioned I like Atlas.

For the guys who like the 330's, try the 550 or 770. I tried the 220 and the 550 is a big step up!

What was most interesting to me from my cable experiments was that first, you don't need such a high end system to hear the benefits of high end cabling, as long as you use the same quality cabling throughout. But then second, even when spending large amounts of money, it's easy to hear the flaws of one cable when you compare directly to another in the same price range, and vice versa. And to get the benefits of both you generally need to spend twice as much!

At that point I more or less gave up!

I pretty much agree with your findings, but am inclined to play it down a bit, as I already get enough stick. :shifty:

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Macspur said:
Macspur said:
acalex said:
Macspur said:

Mac

Keep us posted!

Certainly will Alex.

Mac

Back tomorrow.

Mac

Well, the dealer left about an hour ago.

He brought with him a Siltech SPX800 PC, didn''t have any 330 SC's so brought some 550's.

Started by listening to a track with my system as it is, then changed out the Sc's... more dynamic, but the most noticeable thing was the way they tamed the slight boom I occasionally get.

Next he connected the PC to the Sugden straight into the mains, leaving the 550's in... this was quite dreadful... seem to drain all warmth from the music, so swapped it over to the CDP and plugged a Vovox PC into the amp... this was definitely better, but, not sure it made enough of a difference to warrent spending that kind of money.

Apparrently, the 330's are a bit warmer than the 550's, not so neutral, which would suit me, so will probably, when funds allow, settle on those.

The dealer seem to think the system would benefit from having both the amp and CDP with Siltech PC's, but I'm not convinced. He also recommended an MIT to use with CDP at a very good price and would let me have it on a sale or return basis.

He is also going to Email me details on some damping plates he carrys, that can be placed on top of CDP's and amps for eliminating boomyness.

A really nice guy to deal with and I made it clear from the outset that I'm not in a position to purchase right now and he was cool with that on the understanding any consessions he is offering may expire... fair enough

Mac

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Macspur said:
Well, the dealer left about an hour ago.

He brought with him a Siltech SPX800 PC, didn''t have any 330 SC's so brought some 550's.

Started by listening to a track with my system as it is, then changed out the Sc's... more dynamic, but the most noticeable thing was the way they tamed the slight boom I occasionally get.

Next he connected the PC to the Sugden straight into the mains, leaving the 550's in... this was quite dreadful... seem to drain all warmth from the music, so swapped it over to the CDP and plugged a Vovox PC into the amp... this was definitely better, but, not sure it made enough of a difference to warrent spending that kind of money.

Apparrently, the 330's are a bit warmer than the 550's, not so neutral, which would suit me, so will probably, when funds allow, settle on those.

The dealer seem to think the system would benefit from having both the amp and CDP with Siltech PC's, but I'm not convinced. He also recommended an MIT to use with CDP at a very good price and would let me have it on a sale or return basis.

He is also going to Email me details on some damping plates he carrys, that can be placed on top of CDP's and amps for eliminating boomyness.

A really nice guy to deal with and I made it clear from the outset that I'm not in a position to purchase right now and he was cool with that on the understanding any consessions he is offering may expire... fair enough

Mac

Mac, FWIW my advice is to remain skeptical, but try everything out, as hitting on the right mix is trial and error (and luck).

Removing unwanted vibrations / resonances from amps and CDPs can have a positive effect, but hard to predict.

MIT is highly rated by Iceman, so worth a try. Also, I found the Cardas Golden Ref P/C did for me what I think you are looking for.

Keep us updated

Cno

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
BenLaw said:
Why would damping plates on solid state components stop bass boom? Surely you need to look at acoustic treatment?

How much do these plates cost?

As far as I know my CDP has moving parts and with regards to price relatively cheap.

This dealer could have try to sell me expensive acoustic room treatment, but honestly advised me, in my sized room with the speaker positioning, it would be quite difficult, so offered a cheaper alternative.

Fear not Ben, I won't be sucked into buying any snake oil!

Mac

iceman16

Macspur said:
BenLaw said:
Why would damping plates on solid state components stop bass boom? Surely you need to look at acoustic treatment?

How much do these plates cost?

As far as I know my CDP has moving parts and with regards to price relatively cheap.

This dealer could have try to sell me expensive acoustic room treatment, but honestly advised me, in my sized room with the speaker positioning, it would be quite difficult, so offered a cheaper alternative.

Fear not Ben, I won't be sucked into buying any snake oil!

Mac

Hi Mac,

I use SDS isofeet under the EMC 1UP cdp, IME they did work better than the black ravioli for my taste. The black ravioli under the cdp makes the sound more detailed and defined but with the expense of fluidity and overall musicality.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
iceman16 said:
I use SDS isofeet under the EMC 1UP cdp, IME they did work better than the black ravioli for my taste. The black ravioli under the cdp makes the sound more detailed and defined but with the expense of fluidity and overall musicality.

I found that happened to me with the Bigfeet, but the ordinary pads worked for the DS. I take it you are talking about the ordinary pads.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts