Musical fidelity M6i or Naim Nait xs to drive my B&W 683

Page 24 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Neuphonix

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
Belgium's finest musical export!

Runs a label called Rework. You can listen to some of his stuff on Soundcloud & buy on Beatport.

Fav tracks that I can think of off the top of my head:

Indigo, Eastern Lagoon, Minor Theory, Love Chemical, Underwater, Motel, Variation 1

Few other tracks worth looking for IMO:

1) Gaia by Calypso Synth Ensemble, long builder with Cult like guitar riff running through it

2) Redemption Song by Wanklemut, strange wailing vocal with spanish guitar loop

3) Paradise Circus by Massive Attack. Look for the Gui Borato remix, absolutely sensational.

4) Radiance by Henry Saiz, get the King Uniqe mix, brilliant

5) Raincoats by Trentemoller, get the Trentemoller remix

6) Subtellite by Timo Mass. Long building tribal techno, turn it up

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Hi Roby and Alex,

Been watching and reading the cable part of this thread with interest, but will admit with a little skepticism and no little alarm at the sort of price tags flying about.

However, Siltech is a brand I have been pondering over for some time now myself and now having seen who their UK distributer is, I'm that bit more convinced;

http://www.siltechcables.com/distributors.php

Mac

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Macspur said:
Hi Roby and Alex,

Been watching and reading the cable part of this thread with interest, but will admit with a little skepticism and no little alarm at the sort of price tags flying about.

However, Siltech is a brand I have been pondering over for some time now myself and now having seen who their UK distributer is, I'm that bit more convinced;

http://www.siltechcables.com/distributors.php

Mac

:)

Mac, you know us for a while now...especially the fact that we ponder every choice carefully. I can assure you that the improvement I heard whenever I connected the 330L cables was astonishing. If you remember well when I brought home the speakers I wasn't at all convinced with the results. Swapping cables to the Lavardin was a bit better but still not very convining compared to when I heard the same combo in the shop.

Then Francis gave me the SIltech to try...and then everything was just perfect. I haven't stop listening since then...

I see the cables as any other equipment upgrade which needs to be carefully assessed. That's why we are trying to throw in the mix all the best cables producer...but we keep coming back to the Siltech. When we compared the Vertere Pulse X (which Cno assessed as a very good cable) to the Siltech 330L (which is cheaper than the Vertere) the difference was evident to everybody in the living room (me, Rob and my gf). If you have the opportunity, please demo a pair of 330L to see what we are talking about.

I am very curios to hear other point of views...

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Alex,

I respect and admire your thoroughness in your search for SQ Nevana and I am not one of those who totally poopoo the difference that cables can make, as I have heard it for myself, but for me, there must come a point when one has to put a price limit on how far to go to reach that goal.

I have found some well priced 330I XLR's, depending on length, which I will probably go for, but the particular dealer only has the 220L SC's on sale and at 3m would be too long for my needs anyway.

Mac

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Macspur said:
Alex,

I respect and admire your thoroughness in your search for SQ Nevana and I am not one of those who totally poopoo the difference that cables can make, as I have heard it for myself, but for me, there must come a point when one has to put a price limit on how far to go to reach that goal.

I have found some well priced 330I XLR's, depending on length, which I will probably go for, but the particular dealer only has the 220L SC's on sale and at 3m would be too long for my needs anyway.

Mac

I actually have the 220L now at home as the 330L are at Rob's place. I can tell you that 220L is a nice cable but less smoother than the 330L and IMO (and Rob's also) the price difference between the 220L and 330L is well justified. If you want the 330L (2mt) I can see with my dealer (or you can contact him directly) as he's the official importer of Siltech in Belgium.

He has also now a deal on 2.5mt of 330L Siltech at 1200 euro (if I don't take it :rofl:). If I can be of any help let me know....

I understand your point of view on the limit, but compared to the overall value of the system I think it is quite well balanced as expense...given the fact it really makes a difference.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
acalex said:
If you want the 330L (2mt) I can see with my dealer (or you can contact him directly) as he's the official importer of Siltech in Belgium.

He has also now a deal on 2.5mt of 330L Siltech at 1200 euro (if I don't take it :rofl:). If I can be of any help let me know....

You need to be a little careful here, as distributors / dealers are (strictly) not often allowed to trade outside their alloted areas....unless with permission. Sugden are listed as the distributors for the UK.

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
acalex said:
If you want the 330L (2mt) I can see with my dealer (or you can contact him directly) as he's the official importer of Siltech in Belgium.

You need to be a little careful here, as distributors / dealers are (strictly) not often allowed to trade outside their alloted areas....unless with permission. Sugden are listed as the distributors for the UK.

True, you are right...I have been a bit naive here :)

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
acalex said:
True, you are right...I have been a bit naive here :)

More like helpful and enthusiastic, which is an admirable trait.

I also admire the effort you are putting in the other thread in order to convince people to open their mind and go out and try different brand of cables/interconnects instead of taking for granted the fact that they won't make any difference hence useless to spend money on them.

Plus I do not understand why blind tests which do not show difference are always taken into account and always brought as examples whilst the ones that did show a different are quickly forgotten.

Plus I am not sure a blind test will be accurate enough as it is often living with the cable for a while that you will be able to assess it carefully (for example 220L and 330L after a first quick listen might seem very close while after a while you understand that the 330l is much smoother and less fatiguing to listen than the 220L).

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
acalex said:
Macspur said:
Alex,

Mac

I actually have the 220L now at home as the 330L are at Rob's place. I can tell you that 220L is a nice cable but less smoother than the 330L and IMO (and Rob's also) the price difference between the 220L and 330L is well justified. If you want the 330L (2mt) I can see with my dealer (or you can contact him directly) as he's the official importer of Siltech in Belgium.

I understand your point of view on the limit, but compared to the overall value of the system I think it is quite well balanced as expense...given the fact it really makes a difference.

Fully agree Alex.

Thank you for the kind offer, but understand where Cno is coming from.

Just as a matter of interest, how much would the 2m set of 330's be in GBP?

Mac

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Macspur said:
acalex said:
Macspur said:
Alex,

Mac

Fully agree Alex.

Thank you for the kind offer, but understand where Cno is coming from.

Just as a matter of interest, how much would the 2m set of 330's be in GBP?

Mac

A bit less than 1k GBP, probably around 950GBP

Roby

Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
Hi Mac long time I hadn't heart from you.

First of all I completly agree when you say it's a lot of money an it need carful testing an consideration.

But if you like the 220l (witch I understand personaly I loved theme very much) But connecting 330L it is a completly other world an in my system it was immidiatly noticable. So yes I was immidiatly thinking "damn that's more cash again...."

This is also why I want to connect 550L & 770L in my system but it actualy scares me a lot becaus like you say we have to draw a line somwhere, Altruugh I actualy don't expect the difference between 330L& 550L or even 330L & 770L being as big as between 220L & 330L (or is this just wish full thinking :twisted: )

But discision stand it is the reference at this point an the difference is worthe the money to me at least.

There is also an upportunit on 2X3M 220L at a little les than 1000€ an an than the one I have now at 1250€ for 2.5m so to me the difference in SQ is worthe every penny (even if I would have prefered 3M)

So if alex don't take those I would otherwis at this point I would provably Buy 3M of 330L...because it stil acheavable an it's totaly worth it....

I mean the 220L connected I was listening alot praticly all day....the 330L connected I can't turn my system of any more I keep listenin when I should go to sleep....that says a lot no?

An like Alex said we aready heard more expensive ones so this doens't make the 330L cheap but even more worth it.

I'm realy curious of TQ will it change my mind? We will see saturday.

The Ultra Black being in the price level of the 330L an the graphite being more extravagant....:) my curiousity actualy killing me now that I tested a few cables

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Roby said:
Hi Mac long time I hadn't heart from you.

First of all I completly agree when you say it's a lot of money an it need carful testing an consideration.

But if you like the 220l (witch I understand personaly I loved theme very much) But connecting 330L it is a completly other world an in my system it was immidiatly noticable. So yes I was immidiatly thinking "damn that's more cash again...."

This is also why I want to connect 550L & 770L in my system but it actualy scares me a lot becaus like you say we have to draw a line somwhere, Altruugh I actualy don't expect the difference between 330L& 550L or even 330L & 770L being as big as between 220L & 330L (or is this just wish full thinking :twisted: )

But discision stand it is the reference at this point an the difference is worthe the money to me at least.

There is also an upportunit on 2X3M 220L at a little les than 1000€ an an than the one I have now at 1250€ for 2.5m so to me the difference in SQ is worthe every penny (even if I would have prefered 3M)

So if alex don't take those I would otherwis at this point I would provably Buy 3M of 330L...because it stil acheavable an it's totaly worth it....

I mean the 220L connected I was listening alot praticly all day....the 330L connected I can't turn my system of any more I keep listenin when I should go to sleep....that says a lot no?

An like Alex said we aready heard more expensive ones so this doens't make the 330L cheap but even more worth it.

I'm realy curious of TQ will it change my mind? We will see saturday.

The Ultra Black being in the price level of the 330L an the graphite being more extravagant....:) my curiousity actualy killing me now that I tested a few cables

Hi Roby,

I've been observing from distance, but as ever enjoying and living the dream with you.

Here's a review of the Siltech SC range (apologies if you've read it already)

http://hifi-unlimited.blogspot.co.uk/2009/08/tale-of-three-heavenly-fairy-sisters.html

I did try the TQ black range with jumper cables too, but could not hear any noticeable difference, but I dare say you should with the Ultra and Graphite.

Mac

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
I am giving Pulse X another shot as the founder of Vertere wrote me back an email saying it is impossible the Siltech sounds more transparent with better separation of instruments as in his opinion a system with Siltech cabling has almost not existing timing :shifty:

He's stressing the fact that speakers need to be carefully positioned to hear the full potential of the cable as it will open a big "window". Unfortunately i am a bit limited in space...I have tried to bring the speakers a bit closer giving them more space around. It is indeed a better result as I feel the booming is strongly reduced. I still feel a slightly reduced dynamic compared to the Siltech...and it seems a thin veil has been placed on speakers.

He said he will help me to improve the set-up once is back from a show in Las Vegas...let's see. In the meantime I have emailed Sonus Faber in order to get advice on how is best to position the speakers

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
acalex said:
I am giving Pulse X another shot as the founder of Vertere wrote me back an email saying it is impossible the Siltech sounds more transparent with better separation of instruments as in his opinion a system with Siltech cabling has almost not existing timing :shifty:

He's stressing the fact that speakers need to be carefully positioned to hear the full potential of the cable as it will open a big "window". Unfortunately i am a bit limited in space...I have tried to bring the speakers a bit closer giving them more space around. It is indeed a better result as I feel the booming is strongly reduced. I still feel a slightly reduced dynamic compared to the Siltech...and it seems a thin veil has been placed on speakers.

He said he will help me to improve the set-up once is back from a show in Las Vegas...let's see. In the meantime I have emailed Sonus Faber in order to get advice on how is best to position the speakers

Was this Touraj Moghaddam?..........and I take it that you informed them of how the test was going.

I think it is good they care enough to follow up.......and if you can get speaking to him, I would take advantage of it, as like John Carrick, he is very knowledgeable (but quite different). I spent an hour with him, and found it worthwhile.

I have to say.I was also very surprised at your findings, as it didn't match up with what I heard; but felt it wasn't appropriate for me to interfere with your verdict. It's one thing recommending cables, it's another telling you what to think.

If he thinks things aren't right, let him organize the dealer to come and oversee the test (and bring some Cardas with him :shifty:)

Roby

Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
Im also open to do the test again....but I'm a bit septic on his responds not saying he is completly wromg...But I'm thinking 2 systems 2 people same findings....

We can't be completly wrong can we?

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
acalex said:

Was this Touraj Moghaddam?..........and I take it that you informed them of how the test was going.

I think it is good they care enough to follow up.......and if you can get speaking to him, I would take advantage of it, as like John Carrick, he is very knowledgeable (but quite different). I spent an hour with him, and found it worthwhile.

I have to say.I was also very surprised at your findings, as it didn't match up with what I heard; but felt it wasn't appropriate for me to interfere with your verdict. It's one thing recommending cables, it's another telling you what to think.

If he thinks things aren't right, let him organize the dealer to come and oversee the test (and bring some Cardas with him :shifty:)

Yes, was him! He wrote this to his manager who was in contact with me. He then forwarded the answer to me.

The Siltech Classic Anniversary 330L speaker cable is in no way has more clarity or separation.In fact the performance of the system with that is almost non existent of timing...This is partly due to incorrect harmonic structure and that in turn will impair ‘clarity’ & spatial definition.I have had quite a few encounters where we have done such experiments and the results have been ALWAYS the same.Their system cannot possibly be revealing enough the way it is setup as they have had to leave the system to get even a reasonably good result!Almost everyone at show here who has been to listen has commented it is by far the best... The cables were almost all new!Even the other manufacturer/designers of the other components (TT, Amp & Speakers) couldn’t believe what was happening with their products.You know, better than probably anyone, how critical it is to set the system up with such a big ‘window’ when you use the Pulse... I can talk with them and probably shine some light on where to focus on their system set-up if they give us more detail- Components in the system- Music used for listening- Description of their findings

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
acalex said:
Yes, was him! He wrote this to his manager who was in contact with me. He then forwarded the answer to me.

The Siltech Classic Anniversary 330L speaker cable is in no way has more clarity or separation.In fact the performance of the system with that is almost non existent of timing...This is partly due to incorrect harmonic structure and that in turn will impair ‘clarity’ & spatial definition.I have had quite a few encounters where we have done such experiments and the results have been ALWAYS the same.Their system cannot possibly be revealing enough the way it is setup as they have had to leave the system to get even a reasonably good result!Almost everyone at show here who has been to listen has commented it is by far the best... The cables were almost all new!Even the other manufacturer/designers of the other components (TT, Amp & Speakers) couldn’t believe what was happening with their products.You know, better than probably anyone, how critical it is to set the system up with such a big ‘window’ when you use the Pulse... I can talk with them and probably shine some light on where to focus on their system set-up if they give us more detail- Components in the system- Music used for listening- Description of their findings

As I say, I haven't heard Siltech, or your systems, so can't make meaningful comment; especially as when I heard Vertere, I had nothing to compare it with.

If things are wrong, he needs to work with you and the dealer to put it right....but at the end of the day, you need a cable that works for you, in your situation, provided there is nothing relatively simple you can do to improve matters. Whatever happens, you will be on an interesting learning curve.

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
acalex said:

As I say, I haven't heard Siltech, or your systems, so can't make meaningful comment; especially as when I heard Vertere, I had nothing to compare it with.

If things are wrong, he needs to work with you and the dealer to put it right....but at the end of the day, you need a cable that works for you, in your situation, provided there is nothing relatively simple you can do to improve matters. Whatever happens, you will be on an interesting learning curve.

Would be nice if you could come and advise us! :)

Any chance to try the Siltech yourself and report back? :)

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Ordered the Siltech G7 Classic anniversary 330 XLR's today and have a dealer coming over next Wed to demo some Siltech power chords and SC's.

From the brief conversation I had today with him, in his opinion, in terms of improving SQ, i.c's and power chords take priority over SC's... interesting.

Mac

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Macspur said:
Ordered the Siltech G7 Classic anniversary 330 XLR's today and have a dealer coming over next Wed to demo some Siltech power chords and SC's.

From the brief conversation I had today with him, in his opinion, in terms of improving SQ, i.c's and power chords take priority over SC's... interesting.

Mac

Good stuff Mac.

What makes more difference, is an interesting question. IMO Power cords (the right ones) are up there. I/Cs preserve the signal, but S/Cs are longer so (imo) there's more that can go wrong.....I think S/Cs (just), but would not argue with anyone who said I/Cs.

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
:O
Macspur said:

Mac

Nice move Mac! Can't wait to read your impressions.

What I found out is that in my system the pc made almost no difference behind the amp (probably for other problems with the main as all my equipment is plugged into a commercial power strip) but it made a stunning difference behind the phono stage.

Regarding sc and ic I think they should be heard together as they need to complement themselves. I tried first the sc and the difference was already very meaningful especially at low volume. Then i nstalled the ic and it was another system...

Keep us posted!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts