Musical fidelity M6i or Naim Nait xs to drive my B&W 683

Page 22 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
bigboss said:
Definitely demo, & demo long. Be absolutely certain that it's worth the money.

This has to be (and almost certainly is, in this case) at the heart of all experimentation...........and certainty only comes from extensive trials, at a variety of price ranges. Some cables are like a component upgrade......and some definitely aren't.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Roby said:
Of course I did reverse the cables You want life in this tread an you don't read ;-)

Like usual in the begining no big change but than afther a fiew tracks you start to notice the diference an improvement.

It even made me play aiguitar on sultans of swing (but I admit it does that almost with every system :twisted: )

It's getting better but I stil have more problems in the low frequency's than with the other cables I tested

So I defenetly go to the center tomorow to a shop selling auralex (btw Cno the sub dudes are the same pricz as the gramma 58€ but maybe the gramma's comes in a set I don't know)

Sunday might work for me I call you tomorow (I actualy tried to call you because I think Logitech stoped making the sbt I think an I just sugested it to a friend I told him to buy Sonos instaed)

Does this mean there is more bass with the Vertere.

How is the treble compared to the Siltech eg. more detailed? less smooth? Is the sound more neutral or faster?

Over here the Gramma is £42 and the Sub Dude is £61.

The Gramma is the right size to put 2 x Granite Worktop savers under it, making it easier to make a platform with a wooden surround......I think it needs the stability of the wooden surround to stop it wobbling with the weight and height of the speaker on it.....it has only acoustic sponge underneath, altough it is very robust (The Gramma can take 300lbs).

The much more attractive solution is an isolation platform from Track Audio, but it is much more expensive.

Roby

Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
Hi

Let it play for 2 dayq now

An have to admit it's way better now...

It's in general al in place.

When I say I have a bigger problem in the low, It's not that there is more bass but it is that it is actualy less controlled witch makes it a bit less punchy an direct

But really colorful.

An feel some lack of controle on charged passages like on my NAD with the BW.....of corce not in the same level , so I provably shouldn't say it like that

Becaus weard thing is that I still discover details on my cd's I never noticed before....

On the other side instrumens like guitar comming out perfectly.

Also Voice is sweet but somethime I have the impression it's comming from farder away then with the other cables I tested...

Electronic music I was complaining about is also enyoyable again like it should.

Als it take the edge of of the High tones I was complaning about somtimes when I was using the Siltech so That's actualy great.

Ovaral it's a superb cable IMO...I enjoy my music

So for now I will keep it on my list

I mean I have a lot of pro an cons an more than with the other cables

But I give this 2 reasons

1st It's the 3rd cable I test so now I have a small basis to make a comparision.

2nd even withe the cons suddenly there is a track poping up that make me rilling wher I think "this is exceptional"

I'm really courious what Alex's thoughts an finding are going to be....

Next...... :grin:

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Great, I think you should start making a scale with 100 being the best so far in your system and compared to that one the others. For example

- Siltech 330L = 100

- Vertere pulse X = 95

- Ah cables = 90

etc...what do you think?

You shoul try to contact Telurium Q to have a sample of their ultra black or graphite cable as I am already in touch with Atlas to get some Mavros speaker cables and interconnects :)

I will see you today? So you can finally have a listen at the Akurate ;)

Roby

Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
Nice I have to think about that......(btw you have the 330L)

I will contact the shop tomorow if they are open see if we can get a demo pair;

You still on this afthernoon/evening see what you think

Should I also bring the 220L (so you can swap me the 330L see what I think)

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Roby said:
Nice I have to think about that......(btw you have the 330L)

I will contact the shop tomorow if they are open see if we can get a demo pair;

You still on this afthernoon/evening see what you think

Should I also bring the 220L (so you can swap me the 330L see what I think)

Rob

Which Vertere Interconnects are you using / have?:

- Pulse R (best)

- Pulse B (next best)

- Pulse C (cheapest)

Did you get any Auralex Pads?

Roby

Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
I have thz B & R

an I'm using the R (I made the mistake conecting the best SC & IC witch realy dont want me to try the others.....call me laisy) :oops:

I went to the shop an thay didn't have theme in stock |( witch I found enoying because when I call theme the said ther was no problem....

Now he was going to order both for me so I could see what fits me the best He said this would take a week so I'm waiting for his call

Just a question you put your Granit slate's under the Aurulex or on them? (sorry I'm shure you told me but I fergot)

My guess is I shoult try bothe as I think if you put them on top you still have the absorbtion of thz floor contact but maore difusion.

I was thinking those aurulex I read good stuff about it but it are absorbers not difusers witch in theory mean's you need more power to get the same level of musicality (or am I wrong......)

My guess is I will try both.

Roby

Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
Mini quick update I just swtched to AH again

as I shoul already have left for Alexe's place with the Vertere.

I directly noticed warmer directer sound an sweeter voice altruogh the voice go's higher but that's makeing it more life like.....

Loosing some dramatics but gain of controle in the low instead

Oké have to leave so will try to explain better later on

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Roby said:
Mini quick update I just swtched to AH again

as I shoul already have left for Alexe's place with the Vertere.

I directly noticed warmer directer sound an sweeter voice altruogh the voice go's higher but that's makeing it more life like.....

Loosing some dramatics but gain of controle in the low instead

Oké have to leave so will try to explain better later on

are you still there? :)

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Cno, have you ever tried yourself the atlas balanced power? They look impressive and claim to be completely silent. Any idea of price range?

thanks as usual :)

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
acalex said:
Cno, have you ever tried yourself the atlas balanced power? They look impressive and claim to be completely silent. Any idea of price range?

I have heard two demonstrations.......one of which was at a musical evening at Kronos, with John Carrick. There are three models and ranged from something like £2500 to about £3500, but please don't take that as gospel. It was completely silent.

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
acalex said:

I have heard two demonstrations.......one of which was at a musical evening at Kronos, with John Carrick. There are three models and ranged from something like £2500 to about £3500, but please don't take that as gospel. It was completely silent.

Were you impressed with any of the demo? Did it really make a meaningful difference?

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Roby said:
I have thz B & R

an I'm using the R (I made the mistake conecting the best SC & IC witch realy dont want me to try the others.....call me laisy) :oops:

Have you compared B & R, and if so what differences did you find?....there is quite price jump between them.

Roby said:
Just a question you put your Granit slate's under the Aurulex or on them? (sorry I'm shure you told me but I fergot)

My guess is I shoult try bothe as I think if you put them on top you still have the absorbtion of thz floor contact but maore difusion.

Here is where I discussed it (post 15 - with a link to photos): http://www.whathifi.com/forum/hi-fi/musical-fidelity-m6i-or-naim-nait-xs-to-drive-my-bw-683?page=30

The Granite goes underneath, and the wooden surround slots in, and keeps the whole thing stable....you will need spike shoes, if the spikes are attached, which are easily made from small coins)

Roby said:
I was thinking those aurulex I read good stuff about it but it are absorbers not difusers witch in theory mean's you need more power to get the same level of musicality (or am I wrong......)

My guess is I will try both.

The Auralex / Granite is purely to de-couple the speakers from the floor, and should mostly effect the quality of the bass. Remember, it will lift the Tweeter up an extra 83mm, which could effect the way you perceive the treble.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
acalex said:
Were you impressed with any of the demo? Did it really make a meaningful difference?

It is the best that I have heard this type of device sound....if the price hadn't gone up due the price of copper, I might have bought one. The problem was, they were very scarce, and I couldn't get my hands on one for an extended home demo, and wasn't prepared to take a punt given the vagaries that exist with mains products in individual circumstances.

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
acalex said:

It is the best that I have heard this type of device sound....if the price hadn't gone up due the price of copper, I might have bought one. The problem was, they were very scarce, and I couldn't get my hands on one for an extended home demo, and wasn't prepared to take a punt given the vagaries that exist with mains products in individual circumstances.

I understand, once my cable hunt is over I will extensively look for the electric nirvana... :)

I hope to get a nice fat end of the year bonus :cheers:

Roby

Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
First of all came back From Alex's place.... But I let him explain.....

I just conected the 330l..(I know Alex that I said I wouls wait afther dinner but......)

First of all you know the wow effect????? Well that's what I have....

It superb...Fast clean smoot....

Now I know it's first impression so I will cinfirm my finding afther a serious litening session....

But for now My question is....will I ever be able to discinnect this??????

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Roby said:

Now I know it's first impression so I will cinfirm my finding afther a serious litening session....

This is exactly why you have to go through the cable demo process......a list of best to worst will gradually sort itself out. I believe cable brands have a house sound, and just like with any other component, you will find yourslf drawn to one. If the Siltech becomes the one to beat, use it to compare the ones you haven't heard (Atlas Mavros / TQ Ultra Black / Cardas Clear Light).

Once you have finally chosen the brand that works for you, it's then a matter of deciding where the VFM sweetspot is in the range, for both the i/c and the s/c (which might be different).

With cables you can end up paying a lot of money for a moderate increase in performance, so this has to be very carefully evaluated.

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Roby said:

This is exactly why you have to go through the cable demo process......a list of best to worst will gradually sort itself out. I believe cable brands have a house sound, and just like with any other component, you will find yourslf drawn to one. If the Siltech becomes the one to beat, use it to compare the ones you haven't heard (Atlas Mavros / TQ Ultra Black / Cardas Clear Light).

Once you have finally chosen the brand that works for you, it's then a matter of deciding where the VFM sweetspot is in the range, for both the i/c and the s/c (which might be different).

With cables you can end up paying a lot of money for a moderate increase in performance, so this has to be very carefully evaluated.

I have just written a quick sum-up of our listening session at my place in the other thread...indeed the Siltech are still the ones to beat

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
acalex said:
I have just written a quick sum-up of our listening session at my place in the other thread...indeed the Siltech are still the ones to beat

You have gone through, what I would love to have done......which is to directly compare Vertere with something comparible. My memory of them matches what I read in the WHF reviews: http://www.whathifi.com/review/pulse-x

and: http://www.whathifi.com/review/pulse-b

Roby

Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
I actualy think they never heard the Siltech's :dance:

btw the price seems to be wrong here they cost more 1700€ for 2x3m I think

It's actually that good that it's hard to switch it of an go to bed :wall:

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Roby said:
First of all came back From Alex's place.... But I let him explain.....

Has your view of the Linn DS changed enough to consider getting one? :?

I think it has! It is also changing his point of view about streaming in general as he finds quite handy and nice to sit on sofa and using ipad to flip through CDs.

The still weak link is the fat DAC is not exportable which I keep saying is not a bad thing either. As in my opinion the Akurate is only for personal and good listening. Whenever I want to do any casual listening (iphone, Ipad etc) or partying then I won't bother to switch on the Akurate...he could keep using the SBT for that or a good AV amplifier! :read:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts