Musical fidelity M6i or Naim Nait xs to drive my B&W 683

Page 18 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Roby

Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
Stayed up yesterday listening...(no vinyl as I wait for my new rack to set it up corretly again :-( ). Listening an even with the problem I discribed it was amazing.

Never hear that amount of detail an clarety in my system it's truly an amazing speaker. an it never got harsh or analitical. Actualy My system never sounded more natural., an still warm.

Each time I was listening to a track it was like 'hey wat's that???'

I admit I tried a lot of stuff an some of theme I don't play that ofthen but still.

So now I couriuos what it will become when it will be proper set up an positioned.

Now I'm tired at work but just want to go home sit in the sofa litening to music

Did you actualy Listen to the Ascendent? An if so what did you think?

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Roby said:

They were in fact a pair of the original Ascents, which were ruled out as being too old (and perhaps to much trouble for the dealer to shift from upstairs).....so never got fired up.....pitty.

Your system is starting to look promising, especially given it's still only half finished (Sources / Racks / Cabling / isolation / Positioning etc).

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Roby said:

They were in fact a pair of the original Ascents, which were ruled out as being too old (and perhaps to much trouble for the dealer to shift from upstairs).....so never got fired up.....pitty.

Your system is starting to look promising, especially given it's still only half finished (Sources / Racks / Cabling / isolation / Positioning etc).

Exactly...still monwy to spend :cheers:

Neuphonix

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Roby said:

Hey Roby,

exactly as CNO said. But again it was sort of along the lines of what we have been complaining about in terms of service. It basically seemed like he couldn't really be bothered. I gave him about a weeks notice of when I was coming in & what I wanted to demo. You'd think he would be keen to try & move on an older set of speakers if he had an opportunity.

Having said that they are pretty big & heavy, & if what he said was true about their characteristics they probably wouldn't have suited me. He seemed to think that they were great for classical music but not so good for contemporary stuff.

But it would have been nice to have made up my own mind about that.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Neuphonix said:
Having said that they are pretty big & heavy, & if what he said was true about their characteristics they probably wouldn't have suited me. He seemed to think that they were great for classical music but not so good for contemporary stuff.

But it would have been nice to have made up my own mind about that.

I suspect he was right, as the originals were supposed to sound mellower......but you will never know now.

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Neuphonix said:
I could force him to set them for a demo up just to toy with his sanity before I commit to the Scalas! >)

How is it going with the Scalas? did the dealer give you any other discount? Don't give up :cheers:

Roby

Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
Avalons Mellow :O

I heard 3 pair of them I can promess you it was never mellow....

Each time I listened to Avalon's (idea, ascendent, compass) it brought me closer to my disision.

an I promess I nzvzr hzard clasical music on any of theme more the oposite an you know my tast of music mellow would not make me happy....

Neuphonix

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
I think that the guy had me pegged for someone who wasn't serious about buying and was just wasting his time. Not being a loaded ferrari driving playboy like many of his customers! 8)

I will say that one point he made was that the Scalas being so new still had 4years warranty, and the Avalons had no warranty. Also given the age of the Avalons if there was a problem with the drivers then getting replacement would be difficult if not impossible.

I also think that he was totally confident in the fact that when placed alongside the Scalas there would really be no comparison. & when looked at with his similar opinion on the B&Ws I have to say that he was probably right.

He wasn't critical of the Avalons at all, just said that for my musical tastes he felt the Focals were a much better option. I didn't take all that much convincing.

So anyway, he has dropped $2k Australian so far which is about half way to my price limit. The only reason that I can even consider doing this is beacuse they have a trade in set & I can trade in the Diablos. Without those two factors there can't be a deal.

I'm getting all my ducks in a line & hope to see him early next year & try & get $2k more off. If they sell before then, so be it.

Interestingly I got in contact with the guy in France who I bought my Diablos from. He offered to sell me his demo Scalas for $12500 Euros (with-out VAT). So it would seem that there are good deals to be had on them at the moment.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Roby said:
Avalons Mellow :O

I heard 3 pair of them I can promess you it was never mellow....

Each time I listened to Avalon's (idea, ascendent, compass) it brought me closer to my disision.

an I promess I nzvzr hzard clasical music on any of theme more the oposite an you know my tast of music mellow would not make me happy....

Sorry Rob, I didn't make myself clear.

This Mk. 1 version is (I think) over 20 years old, and the Mk 2 that replaced it was supposed to sound a little more forward.......so it was only mellower when compared to the updated version

Roby

Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
Update on the spike issue:

Got a angry call from the dealer yesterday....Provably frustrated that I went over his head and send an email to the compagny who import Avalon in the benelux. To ask if it was possible to get a set of spikes for my speakers

Afther a long discotion I manage to get get my speaks he was going to order them an said I will not have t.o pay enything.

So not done yet but guess it all end well on that part ;-)

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Roby said:

Got a angry call from the dealer yesterday....Provably frustrated that I went over his head and send an email to the compagny who import Avalon in the benelux. To ask if it was possible to get a set of spikes for my speakers

Afther a long discotion I manage to get get my speaks he was going to order them an said I will not have t.o pay enything.

Some people make life so much more difficult than it needs to be....and lose customers in the process.

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Roby said:

Some people make life so much more difficult than it needs to be....and lose customers in the process.

Yes exaclty...I think he never really earned the customer. Rob just bought because at that price you can't go wrong buying from a shop. He still had the courage to ask if they can restart from scratch now... :rofl:

Roby

Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
Hi all I'm living with the Avalon's for almost 2 weeks now. An love them more an more.

I maen most of my music is just a rediscover. Like I said before the detail is exceptional but not analitical or agressive. Compared to my 683 (if I can compare) The have a lot more punche. An the drumkicks are impresive.

Now I have to say I stil have this horn effect I dislike on some parts. But also noticed my floor was actualy trilling a lot in those momments.

Now I have some gear to test during the holidays like siltech 220i s/c (witch I guess will dry thos part's a bit up compared to the A HA I'm testing now, but this is only a guess for now).

An the rca 330i from Siltech now I don't know where this will have the most effect or sence to use to the phono stage, CDP, SB anyway I provably end up trying it all.

I will also try a power cable from kemp Alex say that in his set up it had the most effect connected to his phonostage, wich I can easaly beleave in his case. But in my set my guess an ligic tell me this would be on the ams as it is the most power hungry in my set an that my phonostage ussing less power than Alex's EAR.

Beside still no news from the dealer for the spikes :-(

An I allready digitilysed 180 Albums still arround 380 to go.... It's a hell of a work If I'm not mistaking those 180 took me arround 1Month.....

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Roby said:
Hi all I'm living with the Avalon's for almost 2 weeks now. An love them more an more.

I maen most of my music is just a rediscover. Like I said before the detail is exceptional but not analitical or agressive. Compared to my 683 (if I can compare) The have a lot more punche. An the drumkicks are impresive.

Now I have to say I stil have this horn effect I dislike on some parts. But also noticed my floor was actualy trilling a lot in those momments.

Now I have some gear to test during the holidays like siltech 220i s/c (witch I guess will dry thos part's a bit up compared to the A HA I'm testing now, but this is only a guess for now).

An the rca 330i from Siltech now I don't know where this will have the most effect or sence to use to the phono stage, CDP, SB anyway I provably end up trying it all.

I will also try a power cable from kemp Alex say that in his set up it had the most effect connected to his phonostage, wich I can easaly beleave in his case. But in my set my guess an ligic tell me this would be on the ams as it is the most power hungry in my set an that my phonostage ussing less power than Alex's EAR.

An I allready digitilysed 180 Albums still arround 380 to go.... It's a hell of a work If I'm not mistaking those 180 took me arround 1Month.....

So I will wait until you finished before borrowing your disk :rofl: :twisted:

Roby

Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
acalex said:
Roby said:

Witch disk do you mean??? Harmoniser or my HD with my M files?

Roby

Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
Roby said:
acalex said:
Roby said:

Witch disk do you mean??? Harmoniser or my HD with my M files?

you can always tell me what you want an I can do those first ;-)

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Roby said:

This is all good...the AMS showing what it can really do. Things will jump again (CD) with a great digital source....any news on the EAR CDP.

I am also looking forward to the effect different cables will have....and how it compares with what Alex found. Maybe some Vertere will eventually appear....

Roby

Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Roby said:

This is all good...the AMS showing what it can really do. Things will jump again (CD) with a great digital source....any news on the EAR CDP.

I am also looking forward to the effect different cables will have....and how it compares with what Alex found. Maybe some Vertere will eventually appear....

Well when I asked for it last week it was still in demo at an other client, but, soon it is back I can take it home to test it.

I'm looking forward to it for 2 reasons

It a great cdp in a range I rarly had the chance to demo one.

It's cheaper as example the AMScd (that I didn't had the chance to hear yet).

An even now I started to digitalise my cd's an I like playing with the SB I still prefer the sound of my cdp it has some more body IMO.

An what ever hapen (cdp, akurate or psa) I don't think I ever take peace with buying digital files. I like to have the cd in my hand...call me old school

Just buying an have nothing in my hand kind of frustrate me :twisted:

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Roby said:
I like to have the cd in my hand...call me old school

Same as me then, except I just don't use the physical disc to play music with. 8)

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Roby said:
I like to have the cd in my hand...call me old school

Same as me then, except I just don't use the physical disc to play music with. 8)

Rob you will change your mind when you will realise how easy is the process and what great sound quality you can get. Tomorrow I will pick up the new baby and I will try to setup straight away.

When I want the all music experience I play vinyl...simple like that. Most of the times we do not have time to do that as we are maybe doing something else which require us to be able to put a playlist for longer time...and here the digital comes very very handy. When you will realise how much body an Akurate has I am sure you will change your mind ;)

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
acalex said:
When I want the all music experience I play vinyl...simple like that. Most of the times we do not have time to do that as we are maybe doing something else which require us to be able to put a playlist for longer time...and here the digital comes very very handy. When you will realise how much body an Akurate has I am sure you will change your mind ;)

I'm looking forward to EAR Acute CDP vs Linn ADS/1

Roby

Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
Hello

The speakers still are superb.....I'm constanly sistening to music now (an thay are still positioned directky on a granite stone as I don't recieved the spikes yet) An I actualy excpect once I put theme on the spikes that horb effect I have on the low sometimes on some times will be completly gone.

I mean Compared to the beginning par ex. with the BW's it's gone. Also I supose this was getting better as everything is starting to getting runned in.

You remember that I told that electrinic music sometime sound wiered on HI end system's wel to my big surprise it all sound fantastic.

I mean I have a few dance cd's that I recieved a a gift that I don't particlary like but even that sound good an I keep listening.

This week I recieved the Syltech 220L S/c but when I connected them one of them was not working :-(

So I put them back in the box as I asked the dealer to put some spades on them the Ascendent's only accept spedes on the back so I'm using somthing the dealer from the speakers gave me.

I can best discribe it like spade sleeve's you put on tke bannana's. not the solution to get the best out of my set IMO but hey good side is that it is already great.

So got the 220L back An I will hook them up this evening I guess.

I also tested the 330I from the phono stage to the amp an to my surprise an I admid desapointment there was no much difference...It was a little better but cocidering it was replacing a Real cable of 30€ pfff.... Wiered thing is that tested on the cdp replacing a 90€ it made way more difference an it was more open. :?

Now I think I have to do the test an other time caus I didn't really give it the time an I was provably also a bit frustrated I couldn't test the S/C.

An Also Because Alex Said It made such a big difference in his set so I'm wondering.... :?

I also test the Kemp PLUS P/C Alex told me it made more difference connected to his phonostage than to his Jadis. But I dicided to connect it to the AMS as it's demanding way more power than the P/S. An wow in my case that actualy made a difference I had immidiatly a bigger sounstage with tighter bass an even more dynamic than I already had :shifty:

Now I have to admid afther choosing for the AMS

I was 110% shure about my choice when I bought the TT & speakers

But the cables is actualy a real strugle for me... (An I will provably come back here asking for your advice my friends).

Now I still have time as for the S/C I want to test I will take my time an Francis is prepared to let me try it all. He told me I should take my time as in my system I can justify spending 10 at 20% of the retail price of my system (that actualy scared me a bit as that is quit a bit of money)

I don't actualy know at this point witch direction I will go but I think it's wise that I first dicide about the S/C an based on that buy the I/C & P/C

an provably thz pwr conditioner but here I was actualy quite seduced by the PSA P5 but that's provably.

An than I have the source....there you got me....I started to rip cd's last month an did arround 250 now....what a work....But I started actualy to enjoy playing true my albums on the Ipad :oops:

Now don't get me wrong I still prefer the sound of my cdp so I still want a decent CDP an hope to test the Acute III soon. But in the end I will provably also concider the Akurate or PSA perfect wave. until then the SBT will do the trick.

as when I have time I prefer the Vinyl.

So for now correct me if I'm wrong I think actualy I would benefit more from upgrading my digital source.

But I'm going to look for S/C first, I actualy have to as I don't have decent cable to connect my AA, on the 683's I was using Jensen costing 6€/M one I think it would be a shame using that for the AA an secound I need them to connect the 683 in my HT.

Biside it will be slightly cheaper for now I guess beacuase I also bought a new Rack to get my gear in place I hope to recieve it next week.

Also no news yet about my spikes I will give theme a call next week because I also have to pick up the box of the Avalon's.

So that was it for now....

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Rob, it's good to get your update.

With regard to all this cabling lark, here is what I have found (sorry if I'm repeating myself).

- Never assume that it will make a difference....just try it and see on different components and see what happens.

- Using an expensive cable does not always justify its cost.

- The improvement you may get is situation and component dependent.

- Be careful that it is not a change in sound, rather than an improvement in sound.

- I found the 35i responded well to a good mains cables, so it will be worth comparing the Siltech and Shunyata on it.

- Sometimes the improvement is more apparent with the removal of the expensive cables

- It is possible to get an incremental improvement with a more cohesive sound when the cables are from the same company

- The best I/C should be on the Source

- Spend a lot of time finding the "sweetspot" of cost versus performance.....I think it will be worth seeing where the Clearer Audio M/Cs fit in, especially where components don't improve as you would expect with an expensive one.

- Be careful with conditioners / re-generators.....these should make quite a difference, but make sure that you like what they do. I found an Isol8 regenerator made the sound too clean and analytical. There is also the problem of the 35i drawing large amounts of current, which is often more than these devises can cope with (unless expensive and powerful).

- Do nothing until you get to hear Vertere.

I fully agree with your dealer when he says to take your time. The more you experiment, the clearer your path will become...you need to maximize the performance, by matching the right level of cabling to the right component in order not to waste money on an expensive cable to little effect.

I found the opposide of Alex, where I got more improvement from putting the more expensive cable on the power hungry stuff.....but my dealer does the opposite.

Tread carefully and post your findings

Cno

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts