Musical fidelity M6i or Naim Nait xs to drive my B&W 683

Page 17 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
Roby said:
Like I said I had the feeling this was a well studied system without costing a fortune.

next step is testing the akurate in the same conditions....

so I know what's its capable of. Don't worry I will take my time to do that befor taking any rushed desission. beside that would mean my quest would be rushed to the finish :-(

Don't want that....

Hi Roby,

Just to help you postpone your final decision (mustn't think of it this thread might end one day :cry:), you could also wait for the Oppo BDP-105. Spins CD, SACD, DVD-A (and video, for that matter) and BD. And it has digital inputs (coax, optical and async USB). And it streams music (wired or wireless). And it has balanced outputs. And a headphone amp.

Its predecessor (the BDP-95) got an A+ recommendation in Stereophile's 2012 Recommended Components.

The BDP-105 is due anytime now, and I guess Francis will stock them (as he has the BPD-93 and -95 now). And it shouldn't be that expensive at all either.

:cheers:

Neuphonix

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
Hey Roby,

I'm sure that you're already aware of this, but if you did want inputs on the Akurate you could of course go for the DSM (obviously more money). I sometimes wonder if this would have been a good option, but then I can't really think what I would use them for.

You've already got a phone stage for the TT so probably not that. Maybe CDP but I think once you have your CDs stored as files you'll find yourself using this less and less.

What was the interface like on the PS? Did it use a UPNP on some tablet device? Music pulled from a NAS drive?

The Oppo is an interesting suggestion. Not sure it is direct competiton but for the money it certainly gives value.

Roby

Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
Neuphonix said:
Hey Roby,

I'm sure that you're already aware of this, but if you did want inputs on the Akurate you could of course go for the DSM (obviously more money). I sometimes wonder if this would have been a good option, but then I can't really think what I would use them for.

You've already got a phone stage for the TT so probably not that. Maybe CDP but I think once you have your CDs stored as files you'll find yourself using this less and less.

What was the interface like on the PS? Did it use a UPNP on some tablet device? Music pulled from a NAS drive?

The Oppo is an interesting suggestion. Not sure it is direct competiton but for the money it certainly gives value.

we used ipeng & teh logitec remote app.

Personaly I think the logitech was easier to us because of a more staight forward lay out, but there was a problem with the ghaps, you can't olay a mixed album without the gaps inbetwwen the tracs. an this is possibel using Ipeng.

Actualy it's really good so long you're libary is well organised an other adtvantag of Ipeng is that when you ad an album you don't need to rescan it's added automaticly. it cost like 6€. used the app on a Ipad an on a android phone.

the disavantage of the psa is that you can not instal the sw directly on the NAS so he left his Imac running 24/7 to run thz mediaserver..

The music was storred on the nas.

So I don't know about the sw of the akurat? can you instal it directl on the nas or do you need a pc running all the time?

This is actualy the only thing bothering me. You can use the psa wit the logitach madia sever than you can turn the pc of but than you have the ghap problem on mixed cd's...... :wall:

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Roby said:
Neuphonix said:
Hey Roby,

we used ipeng & teh logitec remote app.

Personaly I think the logitech was easier to us because of a more staight forward lay out, but there was a problem with the ghaps, you can't olay a mixed album without the gaps inbetwwen the tracs. an this is possibel using Ipeng.

Actualy it's really good so long you're libary is well organised an other adtvantag of Ipeng is that when you ad an album you don't need to rescan it's added automaticly. it cost like 6€. used the app on a Ipad an on a android phone.

the disavantage of the psa is that you can not instal the sw directly on the NAS so he left his Imac running 24/7 to run thz mediaserver..

The music was storred on the nas.

So I don't know about the sw of the akurat? can you instal it directl on the nas or do you need a pc running all the time?

This is actualy the only thing bothering me. You can use the psa wit the logitach madia sever than you can turn the pc of but than you have the ghap problem on mixed cd's...... :wall:

I have all your answers my friend! :)

Ipeng is a fine piece of software and I use it myself for the SBT instead of the Logitech one which I think is not as stable as iPeng. 5 euro well spent.

Regarding the PSA, this would be a HUGE drawback for me as I don't want to leavy any pc running while listening to the music. If PSA does not have a server which can run on a NAS, this is a deal breaker for me. LINN has Twonky Media which I have already Installed on my NAS without a single problem. Linn has also its proprietary software which you can download free of charge and it is quite cool (I saw it running on Ipad).

If you want even better you can buy the Chorus HD software for Ipad which is exclusively developed for Linn DS product...only drawback is the 37 euro cost...but once you spend 5k I don't think is that a big of a problem ;)

Singslinger

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Hi Roby, I just want to say that the PS Audio PWT and DAC II are IMO the best sounding pair for the price that I have heard. As for power conditioning, I would go for the P-10 instead of the P-5. It's a massive power amp that takes 10 inputs so you're future-proofed if ever you want to expand your system.

Neuphonix

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
Macspur said:
Hey Roby,

I fear you're getting drawn into the streaming mode!

Seems a lot of faf to me compared to popping a CD into the EMC1UP!

Mac

Unless it sounds "better" of course! ;)

I just use Tonky installed onto a Qnap NAS drive & the Linn UPNP call Kinsky on my iPad. All seems to work fine, except that sometimes twonky can be well a bit twonky with the way it store large libraries. There is a lot of support to be found on the Linn website, especially for someone like yourself who has IT know how.

There is another media server which has been developed call minimserver, it is supposed to have some advantages over twonky as it has been designed specifically for use with Linn. I haven't tried it yet though.

I recently bought a new iMac with a SSD, so tend to pretty much leave it on all the time anyway, it's even quieter than the NAS drive.

You can also air-play direct to the linn without turning on a NAS or your computer if you wanted to.

Do you really think that the extra inputs would be a valuble thing?

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Neuphonix said:
Macspur said:
Hey Roby,

Mac

Hmmm... so subjective that word better, isn't it.

When you get into the realms of high end HiFi as the ADS and the EMC1UP, unless the difference was night and day, personally, I couldn't be bothered with the streaming route.

Mac

Neuphonix

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
Macspur said:
Neuphonix said:
Macspur said:
Hey Roby,

Mac

When you get into the realms of high end HiFi as the ADS and the EMC1UP, unless the difference was night and day, personally, I couldn't be bothered with the streaming route.

Mac

You could always say less time walking to & from the CDP is more time spent listening to music! ;)

But yes, it's not for everyone.

I have a pretty big CD collection, about 2000 or so which I built up over the years, was a dedicated collector. I was surprised at how quickly I switched to buying soft copies instead, it wasn't really as gradual a process as I might have expected.

Few reasons, primarily the ease of purchase. Also I found I got a better hit rate buying singles rather than full albums where you might only like a few tracks. I guess as my taste in music leans more towards the electronic side of the spectrum this probably lends itself to online purchasing as well?

One other aspect of the streaming that I have been discovering more & more is the online component such as spotify & tunein. Beats listening to the wireless!

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Neuphonix said:
Macspur said:
Neuphonix said:
Macspur said:
Hey Roby,

Mac

Mac

You could always say less time walking to & from the CDP is more time spent listening to music! ;)

But yes, it's not for everyone.

I have a pretty big CD collection, about 2000 or so which I built up over the years, was a dedicated collector. I was surprised at how quickly I switched to buying soft copies instead, it wasn't really as gradual a process as I might have expected.

Few reasons, primarily the ease of purchase. Also I found I got a better hit rate buying singles rather than full albums where you might only like a few tracks. I guess as my taste in music leans more towards the electronic side of the spectrum this probably lends itself to online purchasing as well?

One other aspect of the streaming that I have been discovering more & more is the online component such as spotify & tunein. Beats listening to the wireless!

Fair comment... Don't get me wrong, I can definitely see the advantages, It's just not for me, but never say never!

Mac

Roby

Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
First of all at this point I'm still pretty shure I will keep using the cdp even if I use a top streamer like tthe ADS & PSA.I know some of you will ashure me that once I have the ease of use of a streamer I will forget my cdp (an you maybe true)

so the connection is valuable for me even if in they end it's maybe only psycological.

An yes love to have the option..... I try to look at it like atempting toknowing be able to have great sound of both worlds without hurting the bank to much so knowing it can be done give me peace of mind.

(anyway you can leave it on an switch of the screen so I don't really see a problem here)

But I go book a demo next week of the ADS so who knows I might change my mind. Like I said on this one I'm really not in a hurry meanly because I'm not yet 100% convinced by the streaming way I guess

Btw I riped arround 70cd youhou only 400+- to go

Roby

Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
here they are had an argue again with thz usless shop owner will explain it later but shuley the last item i buy there....thanks to Alex couldn't have done it alone... now I need to connect theme updat later this weekend ;-)

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
This shop is a joke really...hopefully it's last time you buy there Rob!

hurry up, connect the Avalon with the cables I gave you and tell me what you think :). And remember to come at 9.30 tomorrow morning!

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Roby said:
here they are had an argue again with thz usless shop owner will explain it later but shuley the last item i buy there....

This is hard to fathom! :wall:

you won't believe what it was about...myself I would have left the speakers there and asked for a remboursement...but I agree with rob the offer was just too good to pass it, at least we managed to bring them home ;)

Roby

Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
So time to exoplian Friday's evening madnes.

Like you know I hade a pretty good deal on a pair of Avalon Ascendent.

Went to the shop to pick them up asked theme to protect them separetly so we could carry theme, so I can come for the box later.

(I did wel because it was already haevy to drop them on my secound floor apartment ask Alex bak thanks btw ;-) )

Before leaving I ask for the spike's than they say they lost theme witch made me particulary mad as it was somthing I asked when I was there to demo the speakers an they ashured they wher complete an the spikes where in the box.

Than he said I should not complain as he made me a good price, witch I replied to that made me a speciel price as I'm paying the price anounced on his website like everybody else for a complete pair of speakers EX demo annotthing was mentioned about Dammage ore somthing missing.

True it's an exceptional offer but not an offer he made me. I gave ma apair of reail cable spikes. witch I took but told him this was not to my conviniace an I have the right to have th original one's.

Afther some discution He said He was going to call the import for a set of spikes an that he was prepared to pay theme as long it was not exceeding 100€. I can actualy live with tis propositoin. An as I feld my nerfs boiling so I knew I had to shortcut the discussion.

As I have my doubt's in the evening I also mailed the dealer that import the Avalons to see if he could help me...

So now I wait.

But I just want to ad if you live in Belgium or even Brussels an you looking for HIFI you will provably here the name "New music" as they are the biggest in Begium...

But I would sugest you look arround a little more True prices are usualy good there but that's all.

No service an they are endless arrogant...

Look arround around an you will find much more competend an nice shops

Like our favored in Antwerp Technology facyory an in my journey with Alex we came acrose others with this aproche.

So that is that I hope I get the spikes soon.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
That is very poor customer service, and you were right to stand your ground.

So........How are you getting on, now they are connected?

Roby

Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
An now more impotant....my first impressions..... :dance:

I only connected them this afthernoon as Icame home qiute late Friday afther dinner in my favored restaurant with Alex an got up early to go to Francis's wine taste whith him.

First impression was wow but...I had again this trompet effect that I dislike.... putting on a vinyl.

But I had to move the furniture so I might have unset it, now I ordered a new rack a wall platter for my TT so I think I wait 2weeks to set it up right again.

(even if I love my vinyls.....)

Now I tested cd an squeezbox an that already better. Nuw don't get me wrong Detail is exeptional an voices are warme Live vinyl of Nora Jones is superb it like she is her (I wish ;-) )

It jst the low sometimes now I don't really worry as it already good an when my furniture arrives the position of my speakers wil be better (in 6 a 8 month's afther the construction work way better).

+ now they are on granit slabs at the moment without the spikes as you need to be 2 to set them I guess once that is done I also get an improvement.

An at the momment I'm using the A ha S/C Alex tested theme to an had the same problem. I mean I had a quick listen to his system Friday an I had exactly the same feeling. To day I had a listen to his system with the Syltech 330l an this was a night an day Improvement.

I was planning to borrow the Syltech 220L & 110L so it's going to be a fun experiment ;-)

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Looks like it's all heading in the right direction.

Maybe look for some isolating material like cork, to put as another layer under the granite.

The spikes should help, by coupling the speaker to the granite (via spike shoes), and draining the unwanted vibrations into it.......the idea is to stop these vibrations from going on into the wooden floor.

As always, I look forward to your findings.

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Roby said:
An now more impotant....my first impressions..... :dance:

I only connected them this afthernoon as Icame home qiute late Friday afther dinner in my favored restaurant with Alex an got up early to go to Francis's wine taste whith him.

First impression was wow but...I had again this trompet effect that I dislike.... putting on a vinyl.

But I had to move the furniture so I might have unset it, now I ordered a new rack a wall platter for my TT so I think I wait 2weeks to set it up right again.

(even if I love my vinyls.....)

Now I tested cd an squeezbox an that already better. Nuw don't get me wrong Detail is exeptional an voices are warme Live vinyl of Nora Jones is superb it like she is her (I wish ;-) )

It jst the low sometimes now I don't really worry as it already good an when my furniture arrives the position of my speakers wil be better (in 6 a 8 month's afther the construction work way better).

+ now they are on granit slabs at the moment without the spikes as you need to be 2 to set them I guess once that is done I also get an improvement.

An at the momment I'm using the A ha S/C Alex tested theme to an had the same problem. I mean I had a quick listen to his system Friday an I had exactly the same feeling. To day I had a listen to his system with the Syltech 330l an this was a night an day Improvement.

I was planning to borrow the Syltech 220L & 110L so it's going to be a fun experiment ;-)

But you didn't have a proper ABX blind test so it doesn't count, for sure it was due only to expectations... :roll:

For the rest, don't panic as Cno said. There are still quite a lot of major things which need to be improved/set before hearing the full potential of the system. Your room, as mine, is quite a disaster in terms of acoustic. I am sure with the spikes and proper decoupling (I have the impression the boards you have now are not think enough and might need some acoustic foam in between, like the symposium boards) and better positioning things will be much better. Once you also find the right cables the smile on your face will come back quickly :D

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Roby said:
I will prvably ask my father if he can give me somthing similar tomorrow. Might not be as good as the symposium, but you nevver know :?

definitely ask him...curios to see if it has any positive effect on the system

Neuphonix

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
Hey Roby,

glad to hear things went sort of OK. I got the same thing from the guy with the Scalas the other day. As if somehow he's doing me a favour by letting me buy things at his shop!

You could try putting isolation spikes underneath the grante tiles & then spikes underneath the speakers as well. Just want to try and get some that have a levelling feature so that the granite tiles end up dead flat so when you put your speakers on top they are totally stable.

look forward to hearing how things settle down in the next few weeks for you :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts