Musical fidelity M6i or Naim Nait xs to drive my B&W 683

Page 15 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Jambalaya said:
You would probably be happier with the M6i, not just because I have one, but because of the power based on the type of music you indicate you prefer. Naim is very dynamic and sophisticated sound, no problem driving any loudspeaker, but for sheer power and control of bass frequency, the M6i is awesome plus it is very dynamic as well. What you feed it is what you'll get back so quality recordings really shine and poor quality recordings...well you can tell they are poor quality.

That was actually the initial question, he ended up buying the Musical Fidelity AMS instead.... :)

iceman16

Jambalaya said:
You would probably be happier with the M6i, not just because I have one, but because of the power based on the type of music you indicate you prefer. Naim is very dynamic and sophisticated sound, no problem driving any loudspeaker, but for sheer power and control of bass frequency, the M6i is awesome plus it is very dynamic as well. What you feed it is what you'll get back so quality recordings really shine and poor quality recordings...well you can tell they are poor quality.

Have you heard the AMS 35i?

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
iceman16 said:
Jambalaya said:

Have you heard the AMS 35i?

I suggest he never listens to one, unless he is prepared to upgrade! :twisted:

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
acalex said:
Here the videos, enjoy ;)

Video 1: http://youtu.be/RkM6Zm7RCYM

Video 2: http://youtu.be/Tt5_gNIeJeY

Video 3: http://youtu.be/l1up0uvnhsE

Thanks for these Alex... difficult to judge the SQ through my PC speakers, but can perhaps detect that aggression you refer to, then again may be just the tracks played.

Bet it was stunning in the flesh.

Cheers

Mac

Roby

Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
So....
Thanks to alex for the input an pic's.
Like I said intresting day I did a few things.
Listen to the
Avalon ascendent
Facal Diablos (unfortunatly alex had to leave on that last one :-( )
discover the electrocompagniet cdp
An experience the difference between RCA & XLR
First of all we droped of my amp arround 10:30 when we arrived I was not that happy cause the old guy who works there, witch I don't like at all told us. they where unable to give us the demo as they where only 2 in the shop an the rest was on holiday. I was about to get realy angry when the other one interveened to say he knew about it an it was no problem.
I love that shop an had good momment's but some time they are so unfrendly an unprofessional I don't get it. It really depend witch day you're comming....
Than they have also the advantage they have a lot of brands to demo witch is nice.
Oké we came back arround 14h secound desseption the amp was installed but not connected an warm Pffff that was the reason we droped it of in the morning...

First a few words about the demo room it was not there best room |( I think I'm a good client I expect more...
An it was full of speakers so listening area was not the best but on the other hand my listening possition at home might not be optimal iether so this was not nescecerly a compleet bad thing.
Also the speakers where not set up properly they didnd't put theme on the spikes witch is provably importand as the bass ports are under the soeaker.
So first track playing was Niels Lofgren but it was really not convincing so we dicided to put some cd boxes on the amp to axelerate the heating proces.
Afther 10min there it came' the smile on my face. Listened to the Idea the last time like 4monthes ago the souvenir was pretty far + that was connected to the M6 500i an that day I could agree with Alex the Avalons could be a bit agressive.

But here one's tha ams warmed up it was a completly other story it had all the quality's of the Idea in terms of transparency an accurasy but it take the edge of witch made it much warmer an rounder without getting muddy it had an incredable punch.
On the live acoustic of Niels lofgren you could here the riffs to perfectoin without getting earbreaking high like I heard on some other systems. The Bass was deep warm an room filling we had a few tracks with us tu test that like the start of "the man in the black coate"
Than the voice it was clear an amazinly deep it was like it was adding an octave with made it sweet.
So my first impression was that you lose no detail at all but thank to the incredable low it never get analitical.The mid showed deffenatly the accurasy of the speaker. There is a lot of space an the speaker is really roomfilling. An the bass was always in controle not once I had this trompet effect I complained about earlier in this treat.
So I think but I might be wrong here the speakers being rated at 4ohm it dubbles the the ams is rated 70/chanel can that be the reason for this?
Considering the far from perfect set up I was really impressed.
Than what about the cdp I think it was truly amazing I can't tell much about it cause I have no real comparesion. But it had the power making it self desapear it was like it was not there isn't that what we are looking for in a cdo? Honestly if I had the budget now I would buy it. But as I have to start saving again I will give the ams also a try. O nly negative point for my is the top loading that can be an issue but otherbthan that ....wow
We also tested the difference between RCA ( audioquest Diamondback) & XLR (Audioquest Colombia)
The first big difference was the volume level an the xlr connection being bit more punchy witch is good for electronic music as I find electronic music sounding a bit slow on high end systems So really telling you what I prefer at this point I can't rca being a bit more calm an laid back in opposite to xlr being more punchy an cristaline on detail I mean daitail is there on bothe but with xlr it comming more to the front, this might be a bit tiering in long listeng sessions I guess.
I think when I upgrade the cdp I will buy both an switch untill I find what suits me best t(altruegh I have already an idear but I tell you later.
Than Alex needed to go but as he was convinced to it was pretty good he told me I should listen to the diablo's before making my desission.
So we went down an I told the dealer that on what he replied "Le'ts connect them now"
So I went up again an start a secound session with the same cd's of course. An have to say I was immidiatly impressed an could fully understand why you would connect theme to an AMS. An that for such a small speaker, well oké it are stand mount's but they are not that small....
Than I was immidiatly missing an octove on the low department....bass was there but not in the same way. An here it was again not al the time but somtimes that trompet effect witch make me feel the amp is loosing controle. bur to be honest it was not distubing at all here. I was realy impressed by the mid range an the clarity of the high. There was this effect in space I like but it made it some times almost artificial. An than they where of course less roomfilling ass the Ascendent.
I also tried to switch rca an xlr an here no question ask to me connect witxlr was much better
Detail, punch, an controle wher way better. To be honnest it's a superb speaker an If I buy tose I'm shure I would be happy for year's.
Unfortunatly I think I should have started my demo with the Diablo's to have a more acurate meaning But the Ascendent are really a step up.
When I left the shop I asked if I could think about it a day or 2.
As I have no car this weekend I left the amp an was going to pick it up the next day with Alex (thanks again for the lift Alex)
Then when I came home I realised It was actualy the first time in a while I really enjoyed my music during an demo. Being not to analitical but yust enjoying. Witch provably say alot about the quality of the equipment. Last time I remember having this feeling in a demo was when we went to listen to the Sugden. An than also to the audio research mono blocks but that's out of my budget so it's not realy the same.

So as you can Imagine I made a desiscion........But it's provably obious ;-)

Roby

Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
Jambalaya said:

Heu Really :?

I you folowed a bit this treat You know I think the M6i one of the best amps in his price range an far behound.....

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Macspur said:
acalex said:
Here the videos, enjoy ;)

Video 1: http://youtu.be/RkM6Zm7RCYM

Video 2: http://youtu.be/Tt5_gNIeJeY

Video 3: http://youtu.be/l1up0uvnhsE

Thanks for these Alex... difficult to judge the SQ through my PC speakers, but can perhaps detect that aggression you refer to, then again may be just the tracks played.

Bet it was stunning in the flesh.

Cheers

Mac

Mac, that is a b..ch track to test systems and it became my reference to understand if it's just enough or a bit "too much" for my test. Keith don't go from Nils Lofgren (Acoustic Live) is extremely well recorded and it's basically only acoustic guitar and voice.

To be fair when the video was made the AMS was still cold and we removed the protections from speakers. We tried the same track an half an hour later with protections on (as dealer suggested) and it was much better, most of the edge was gone.

In my system the Jadis does a very good job in rounding things up...still on my Monitor Audio RX6 sometimes can sound aggressive...when connected to the Sonus Faber Guarneri it was just magic... :)

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Roby said:
Also the speakers where not set up properly they didnd't put theme on the spikes witch is provably importand as the bass ports are under the soeaker.

If this remained unchanged through the demo, it was far from ideal, and should never have happened.....I think these speakers have more to give when properly set up.

Roby said:
But here one's tha ams warmed up it was a completly other story it had all the quality's of the Idea in terms of transparency an accurasy but it take the edge of witch made it much warmer an rounder without getting muddy it had an incredable punch.
On the live acoustic of Niels lofgren you could here the riffs to perfectoin without getting earbreaking high like I heard on some other systems. The Bass was deep warm an room filling we had a few tracks with us tu test that like the start of "the man in the black coate"
Than the voice it was clear an amazinly deep it was like it was adding an octave with made it sweet.
So my first impression was that you lose no detail at all but thank to the incredable low it never get analitical.The mid showed deffenatly the accurasy of the speaker. There is a lot of space an the speaker is really roomfilling. An the bass was always in controle not once I had this trompet effect I complained about earlier in this treat.

It looks like the 35i and the Ascendants are a great match. The huge bass of the amp with the "potentially lean" bass of the Avalons (due to driver size) look to have worked out nicely.

Roby said:
So I think but I might be wrong here the speakers being rated at 4ohm it dubbles the the ams is rated 70/chanel can that be the reason for this?

This is more into Oldrics territory, but it could well have, as the amp thrives on lower impedance due its very stable current delivery.....as you rightly say, makes it sound more powerful, as the 35W double into 4 Ohms (and again into 2 Ohms)

Roby said:
Than what about the cdp I think it was truly amazing I can't tell much about it cause I have no real comparesion.

It is a truly good CDP with few peers at its price range....though you still need to hear a Linn DS, which I feel offers better value.

Roby said:
We also tested the difference between RCA ( audioquest Diamondback) & XLR (Audioquest Colombia)
The first big difference was the volume level an the xlr connection being bit more punchy witch is good for electronic music as I find electronic music sounding a bit slow on high end systems So really telling you what I prefer at this point I can't rca being a bit more calm an laid back in opposite to xlr being more punchy an cristaline on detail I mean daitail is there on bothe but with xlr it comming more to the front, this might be a bit tiering in long listeng sessions I guess.
I think when I upgrade the cdp I will buy both an switch untill I find what suits me best t(altruegh I have already an idear but I tell you later.

You have rightly found that XLRs can make the sound different/better/worse, depending on the system used and one's taste

Roby said:
An have to say I was immidiatly impressed an could fully understand why you would connect theme to an AMS. An that for such a small speaker, well oké it are stand mount's but they are not that small....

The Diablos are one of the biggest standmounts around, and a very difficult load for an amp. If you started ramping up the volume, the 35i could show signs of strain. In fact the bigger Utopias would be easier to drive.

Roby said:
Than I was immidiatly missing an octove on the low department....bass was there but not in the same way. An here it was again not al the time but somtimes that trompet effect witch make me feel the amp is loosing controle. bur to be honest it was not distubing at all here. I was realy impressed by the mid range an the clarity of the high. There was this effect in space I like but it made it some times almost artificial. An than they where of course less roomfilling ass the Ascendent.
I also tried to switch rca an xlr an here no question ask to me connect witxlr was much better
Detail, punch, an controle wher way better. To be honnest it's a superb speaker an If I buy tose I'm shure I would be happy for year's.

The Diablos are a speaker I admire, rather than love. They are ultra clean, controlled and articulate with great imaging, but (for me) don't engender an emotive reaction.

Roby said:
Then when I came home I realised It was actualy the first time in a while I really enjoyed my music during an demo. Being not to analitical but yust enjoying. Witch provably say alot about the quality of the equipment. Last time I remember having this feeling in a demo was when we went to listen to the Sugden. An than also to the audio research mono blocks but that's out of my budget so it's not realy the same.

This is the acid test, as what gives pleasure in a system, is totally individual.....If everyone realized this and investigated for themselves, half the problems on here would disappear.

Roby said:

Though I think that in all likelyhood you have found your perfect speaker, you should try, if possible, to listen to the 205/2s.....to be sure, to be sure (as they don't say in Ireland)

Cno

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
So glad to have this thread back, I was beginning to get a little disinterested in the forum for a while there.

Roby, the EMC1UP, certainly in my set up, sounds far better with XLR connection... top loading won't be a problem, as even if you have to have it on a lower shelf, the lid just slides back.

Mac

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Roby said:
Stangly I have the impression in this moment I have more effect on my speakers upgrading the source than when I upgraded the amp but than I'm thinking its provably my memmory playing tricks with me.

I'm actualy more thinking it's combination of the amp+source upgrade ho have this effect, it's a more logical explenation.

The source is absolutely vital, and what I think has happened, is that as your amp has got much better, it has highlighted this.

Once you stick a speaker, with the pedigree of the Avalons on the end of your system, the need for good components is ramped up several more notches.

The Ascendants like plenty of current from an amp that has great bass, and a mid-range without a brittle edge....so in theory, the 35i should sound brilliant.

It also needs a truly excellent source, as any weakness here will be ruthlessly revealed....and the organic sounding Electro CDP should be ideal.

:poke: Now all we need to know, is if theory plays out in practice.....I bet it does, big time! :grin:

Roby

Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Roby said:

CnoEvil said:
If this remained unchanged through the demo, it was far from ideal, and should never have happened.....I think these speakers have more to give when properly set up.

CnoEvil said:
exactly imagine what's in to it when it's properly set up

Roby said:
An have to say I was immidiatly impressed an could fully understand why you would connect theme to an AMS. An that for such a small speaker, well oké it are stand mount's but they are not that small....

CnoEvil said:
The Diablos are one of the biggest standmounts around, and a very difficult load for an amp. If you started ramping up the volume, the 35i could show signs of strain. In fact the bigger Utopias would be easier to drive.

CnoEvil said:
Yes amazing clear speaker but likz I said afther listening to the avalon's it almost sound artificail en less warm than the Ascenden'ts

Roby said:

CnoEvil said:
The Diablos are a speaker I admire, rather than love. They are ultra clean, controlled and articulate with great imaging, but (for me) don't engender an emotive reaction.

CnoEvil said:
Altrue like you say I think the diablos benefit from the xlr connection so yes the sound quality also depend of your interconnects an the system where in you use them. an in this case I think the diablos benefit's from thr xlr connection.

Roby said:

CnoEvil said:
Though I think that in all likelyhood you have found your perfect speaker, you should try, if possible, to listen to the 205/2s.....to be sure, to be sure (as they don't say in Ireland)

Cno

Hey what can I say look at the bright side for thr price I payed the Avalon's I can always change if I want in the future without loosing to much money ;-)

Roby

Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Roby said:

CnoEvil said:

CnoEvil said:

Roby said:

CnoEvil said:

CnoEvil said:
Yes amazing clear speaker but likz I said afther listening to the avalon's it almost sound artificail en less warm than the Ascenden'ts

Roby said:

CnoEvil said:

CnoEvil said:
Altrue like you say I think the diablos benefit from the xlr connection so yes the sound quality also depend of your interconnects an the system where in you use them. an in this case I think the diablos benefit's from thr xlr connection.

Roby said:

CnoEvil said:

Cno

Hey what can I say look at the bright side for thr price I payed the Avalon's I can always change if I want in the future without loosing to much money ;-)

Roby

Jan 17, 2012
Visit site

Cno

Roby

Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
iceman16 said:
Thanks Roby...that was very interesting read:) BTW did you found the Diablo's a bit lacking in low frequency? If so..you might as well try the Electra 1028be.

Don't get me wrong bass was there an was realy tune full.

But afther listzning to the Ascendent you have the feeling there is something missing (altrueth this was getting better onnected true xlr but still)

Roby

Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
Macspur said:
So glad to have this thread back, I was beginning to get a little disinterested in the forum for a while there.

Roby, the EMC1UP, certainly in my set up, sounds far better with XLR connection... top loading won't be a problem, as even if you have to have it on a lower shelf, the lid just slides back.

Mac

;-) don't worry I still have a fiew upgredes to go trough... Next one provably being the CDP But first I have to start saving again ;-)

Roby

Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
Macspur said:

Mac

;-) don't worry I still have a fiew upgredes to go trough... Next one provably being the CDP But first I have to start saving again ;-)

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Roby said:
Macspur said:

Mac

I fully understand Roby... expensive game this HiFi lark! but when you get it right, well worth it.

As a matter of interest, how much are the Avalons going for?

Mac

Roby

Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
No nt really I was thinking somewhere in the secound half of the week might be good. I let you know.

I provably call you tommorow telling you how my new job was.

Roby

Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
Macspur said:
Roby said:
Macspur said:

Mac

I fully understand Roby... expensive game this HiFi lark! but when you get it right, well worth it.

As a matter of interest, how much are the Avalons going for?

Mac

Well cotalogue price is 13900euro I'm paying 6900 for a paire of ex demo with full warrenty.

what would you have done in my place ;-)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts