Musical fidelity M6i or Naim Nait xs to drive my B&W 683

Page 13 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Roby said:
Cno

I finaly will have that demo of keff 205

Demo booked for tomorow 2pm.

But as he is not stocking the AMS 35i an I don't really want to pack mine, I will at first have a listening on the gear he have an provably go back later

I'm getting curiuos 8)

Hi Roby

If you can't face bringing the 35i, I think you will probably need to use the Plinius SA-103, in order to get anyway close to its sound....so make sure it is well warmed up before you arrive.

Sometimes one stumbles across an amp/speaker synergy that just works, and that imo, is what you get with the 35i + 205/2s......so make sure that if the Kefs show potential, you do try them with your MF.

Also, as Alex has said, make sure you connect as good a source as they have in the shop.

BTW Did you ever write up your thoughts on the Pathos adventure, or did I miss it?.....you always have a different slant to Alex.

Cno

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Roby said:
Cno

I finaly will have that demo of keff 205

Demo booked for tomorow 2pm.

But as he is not stocking the AMS 35i an I don't really want to pack mine, I will at first have a listening on the gear he have an provably go back later

I'm getting curiuos 8)

Hi Roby

If you can't face bringing the 35i, I think you will probably need to use the Plinius SA-103, in order to get anyway close to its sound....so make sure it is well warmed up before you arrive.

Sometimes one stumbles across an amp/speaker synergy that just works, and that imo, is what you get with the 35i + 205/2s......so make sure that if the Kefs show potential, you do try them with your MF.

Also, as Alex has said, make sure you connect as good a source as they have in the shop.

BTW Did you ever write up your thoughts on the Pathos adventure, or did I miss it?.....you always have a different slant to Alex.

Cno

Indeed I haven't read anything yet.... :read:

Neuphonix

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
Hi Roby,

just wanted to let you & Cno know that I got my amp & speakers back last Friday. Both are happily restored into my system & are working flawlessly :)

They took a while but in the end the dealer did the right thing & carried out all repairs for free. It was an exercise in patience, but I have to say that they have been very supportive.

If I was to look for a positive out of this whole experience, it is that after spending 6 weeks listening to a tiny little set of speakers (a friend kindly lent me these while mine were off being repaired) the AMS/Diablo combo sounds soooooooo amazingly good!!! It was like getting them for the first time again. I spent the whole weekend listening to music with a goofy smile on my dial :)

Cno, if you are reading this I have started a new thread with a few questions about my upcoming Linn DS purchase.

http://www.whathifi.com/forum/hi-fi/new-linn-majikds-or-second-hand-akurate-ds

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Roby

Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
Hello,

I'm happy everything came cack in to place for you. I'm still in the ptrocess of finding the best speakers an the diablo's are shurly on my shotlist ;-).

About the speaker hunt as manny know I started my demo's. An the first one was amazing.....

Unfortunaly to my big surprise it's not the speaker I had in mind who won the game.... :twisted: at least for now...

At the momment it is really warm here an even if I hesitated in the morning to pack the ams I dicided to leave it.

Like Alex said I arrived to late (bought my self a Ducati M900 an got delayed at the garage :) ).

When I arrived Alex was listening to the Cabasse 'pasific 3 se' I asked him why? because personaly I have only heard there entrence models an that didn't convince me at all.....

So the dealler conected the keff's an as it was oké I good enoyed by messy low's this was really strange becaus it was the cd of Geoffrey Oreyame on world records, those are normaly really well recorded.....

We changed the record to P gabriel 'Scratch my back' an there it was way better. In the mean time I was missing something I mean I had they impression this record was more dynamic at home....

An I couldn't stop thinking 'am shore this would sound better with my AMS, why didn't I bring it....)

Than actualy the dealer insisted a bit on trying the Cabasse....

An actually I was amased It was cleaner, had more puch but without bgetting to attaching so it kept this laid back but powerfull sound. It had space an detail...

It had that touch more compared to the keff's but this is provably because of the semi active concept.... Than also you have to stretch an additional 4000€ :cry: ....

Honestly I guess this was not one of my best demo's because my mind was somewere else... So it was hard to spot acurate pro an contra's

I think the keff's where amazing detailed an smooth (maybe a litle to smooth), an I was missing something in the low's can't really say what because some moments it was good but than mostly it wass adding sothing enoying...

Like I said I don't think this was an acurate demo....because of the reasons I mentioned but also, I think I was maybe expecting to much...An to me the demo was to short...

Dealer said a long demo is not good because you get tired an you start mixing stuff up, but I disagree in a long session I can really stat listening because afther a period you get less analytical on that moment you listen more to the performance. The one who keep you the longest in you chair at that momment making you want to keep listening is provably the best speaker for you.

A yaer ago when all this started I would never had doubt or going against the meaning of a proffesional dealer... But now thing changed....I'm not saying I'm always right but I start to know more an more where I want to go...

So bothem line of this demois that I have to go back to have a better view on things, Bring my ams next time....

Altrough it wasn't completly usless as I now have a view on what Cno ment on the keff's it is a superb speaker, But the IMO the Plenius wasn't the best match with it...

An I dicovered a great new speaker ;-) Altrough this is friegthen me a little as when I upgreded my amp I stated listen to an MF m3 an ended up with an AMS35i

Where will this hunt bring me :? :wall:

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Roby said:
Hello,

I'm happy everything came cack in to place for you. I'm still in the ptrocess of finding the best speakers an the diablo's are shurly on my shotlist ;-).

About the speaker hunt as manny know I started my demo's. An the first one was amazing.....

For once we fully agree...Rob we had to invent something to make more money...otherwise no Cabasse :)

Or at lest not for now....

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Ha, the prodigal son returns!

I will be very interested to hear when you actually connect up the AMS with the Kefs, as this is the only way to know for sure if it's right.....and preferably with a source of a similar price bracket.

There is imo something a little strange going on, if the Refs sounded a little too smooth. Either the room was over damped, the brass caps at the back were in the wrong place, or the speaker cables were reducing the dynamic impact.....or they are just a poor match with the Plinius, which TBH is unlikely.

If all the above is as it should be, and the Kefs are still too smooth, even with the AMS (which I doubt), then you are a prime candidate for the Focal Diablo Utopias.

Regarding the bass, what I can tell you though, is that the 205/2s, when connected to the 35i, have subterranean bass...provided they are isolated from any suspended wooden floor. On some albums, the bass goes so low that I would often have to check that the sub isn't on. They probably won't quite match the Cabasses's dedicated powered bass, but should get close.

Now....what about the Pathos experience!!

Roby

Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
Just discovered something wich gave me a large smile :)

Playing with the remote of my cdp (CA azure 650) dicovered it also comand the AMS.

Only: the comands ar not exactly the same

mp3 on the remote becomes cd on the ams

cd-> tuner

aux ->aux

dab tuner -> tape

tape -> balanced

this is strange at first but doesn't really bother me as I will get used to it an the most important thing the volume woks great ;-)

didnt find the button for the tape loop but I never use it so....

just wanted to share

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Roby said:
Just discovered something wich gave me a large smile :)

Playing with the remote of my cdp (CA azure 650) dicovered it also comand the AMS.

Only: the comands ar not exactly the same

mp3 on the remote becomes cd on the ams

cd-> tuner

aux ->aux

dab tuner -> tape

tape -> balanced

this is strange at first but doesn't really bother me as I will get used to it an the most important thing the volume woks great ;-)

didnt find the button for the tape loop but I never use it so....

just wanted to share

I have something similar with my Linn remote and 35i.

I also had to change the code on my Arcam remote, as it fecked up my DS.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Macspur said:
CnoEvil said:
Macspur said:
P.S Roby, any thoughts on your Pathos experience yet?

PPS. :poke: +1 :read:

I can only assume the man wasn't that enamoured with the brand!

I suspect your assumption is somewhat near the mark.....I think Roby was not as enamoured as Alex, due to their diverging tastes in music.

We won't let the absence of Rob's version, get in the way of conjuring up our own version of events! :shifty:

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Macspur said:
CnoEvil said:
Macspur said:
P.S Roby, any thoughts on your Pathos experience yet?

PPS. :poke: +1 :read:

I can only assume the man wasn't that enamoured with the brand!

I suspect your assumption is somewhat near the mark.....I think Roby was not as enamoured as Alex, due to their diverging tastes in music.

We won't let the absence of Rob's version, get in the way of conjuring up our own version of events! :shifty:

If I can sum up Roby's thoughts, it was quite impressed by the design and he enjoyed a lot the demo, especially the one with Inpower monoblocks and Graaf preamp...but it wasn't REALLY impressed given also the price range we were talking (2 monoblocks and Incontrol preamp for a total of almost 20k eur).

Having said that, I really regret we spent more time listening to the monoblocks then the Inpol 2...which was short and intense for me ;)

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
acalex said:
If I can sum up Roby's thoughts, it was quite impressed by the design and he enjoyed a lot the demo, especially the one with Inpower monoblocks and Graaf preamp...but it wasn't REALLY impressed given also the price range we were talking (2 monoblocks and Incontrol preamp for a total of almost 20k eur).

Having said that, I really regret we spent more time listening to the monoblocks then the Inpol 2...which was short and intense for me ;)

....and what were your elusive companion's thoughts on the Inpol and how it compared to the 35i; as this is more in the realms of possible affordability. :?

:cheers:

Cno

Roby

Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
Hello every body :)

I know it have been a long time shame on me....

But I had a lot of stuff going arround in my life....I also bought a motorcycle who kept me bussy for a while... An most importand in the process of changing job... so like I said a lot of stuff to asimilate...

One of the reasons I didn't really give a review of my thoughts of the Phatos demo, I know :oops: ....(I think I was not fully in that demo with my mind)

But basicly I had not much toadd to Alex's review, except ecept the few remarques I add.....An what's still strong in my mind is that I was not that impressed I was expecting more.... It was sweet... but still compared to the gear we have Alex an me for me it was certenly not worth the strech. (But those who know me a bit by now could have guessed that I supose). So If I had no gear an that kind of money to spend I might consider it....of course I'm talking about the Inpole 2 here because the 2 monoblocks that's an other level an it would not be faire to compare it. For me it was sounding better (warmer) with the Graaf but even with the Phatos preamp it was powerfull an clean with a deep bass I would have liked a little more collor in the Phatos pré monoblock combination but that's personal.

But my feeling was that it are outstanding performers but unfortunatly they are playing in a price range where Ithink there are other performers witch I would consider...

I know it's not much to go on I'm sorry....

So Now I change job I will have slightly more money an getting my Bonus 2 month's earlier :)

Witch mean's Upgrade time comes earlier this year :dance:

So I know I would get most bennefit changing my speakers. But I have an opertunity upgrading my TT to an Clear Audio Campion limited edition worth 3500€ an it's going for 2500 (I might get it for 2300€ not shur)

So what do you think temting no? + it is a step higher than the Performance I was planning to buy ;-)

I wil go for a listen next week I think

Keep you posted

(an again sorry for my death silence this last 2 month's)

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Roby said:
(an again sorry for my death silence this last 2 month's)

Even though this forum should be the most important thing in your life......you are forgiven! :roll:

My view on your next step would be, first get the speakers to match the amp, and then get the source that works well with these.

Good to have you back

Cno

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Roby said:
I know An I agree with you..but it's a great opportunity...don't you think?

Annyway I booked a demo tomorrow I will see

;-)

My only advice would be that if you want to buy it after the demo, give it a day or two to think about it and make sure it's the right way to go.

Roby

Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
Hey

It was a great demo yesterday.... it at the start I was not that impressed but I think was because of the prima luna valve amp that was used it just needed to warme up becaus afther that the sound was huge. The speakers we used where the SF ceremona wich I know is not the best match for the AMS I own.

So I could spot verry few negative points here

except like on every high end gear I tested how better it is on good recording how more unpleasand it get on bad recordings.

But that we all know.

An that I don't think SF would be the speaker for me...(but you nevver know)

So I'm folowing your advice an let it sleep for a few days but to be honest I'm pratacly sold great peace of art, great sounding an admit it's a great oppertunity....

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Glad things went well.

IMO You can never fully rule out a speaker with your amp until it is heard in your system......what aspects of the SF sound are not right for you?

Roby

Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Glad things went well.

IMO You can never fully rule out a speaker with your amp until it is heard in your system......what aspects of the SF sound are not right for you?

Well I'm not shure I can give you a straight answer.....

It certenly are good speakers an extreemly good looking. But I paired an AMS 3 times with SF first time with the ceremona m an my feeling it was missing some relief an that day I much prefered the Avalon idea who where more dynamic an transparend

I also tried a pair of ceremona Auditor on a Lavardin IS who was not good for my taste except when the dealer changed the speakercable to lavardin's costing as much as the amplifier it self so you already know my opinion about that.

I also conected the ams to sf guarneri an that was just to boomy to me it was like they couldn't breathe.

What I really loved was the sound of the guarneri conected to the Jadis IMO perfect harmonic match

I lso loved the Amati futura conected t audio research gear but here where entering an other pricy world (not atainable for now....) but the sound was huge an dramaric an still warm oké I stop enough dreaming.

So to make a long story short I think SF paired to a right amp is great an it doesn't have to be an extreemly expensive....(there entrence model Toy tower conected to a NAD 356 was also quite good, but not for me I was missing something. didn't mentioned it before as I only just remembered that demo I helped a friend choosing speakers an personaly I prefered the Totem staff's that day).

I just think SF is not the best match for the AMS.

(So not paired to the right amp they are missing some life & relief)

Personaly

my preferences Itried with the ams athis point is:

1 Avalon Idea

2 BW 803

3 Dynaudio C1

Not shure 1&2 is the right position an 3 is just on 3 because I prefere floorstanders

point is if you find good match for your amp it's really hard to choose....

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Roby said:
I also conected the ams to sf guarneri an that was just to boomy to me it was like they couldn't breathe.

I just think SF is not the best match for the AMS.

(So not paired to the right amp they are missing some life & relief)

I believe this wouldn't be a problem if the speakers did have room to breath.....ie. big enough room which is acoustically dead, with enough space behind them and not placed on a suspended floor unless isolated from it.

Roby said:
Personaly

my preferences Itried with the ams athis point is:

1 Avalon Idea

2 BW 803

3 Dynaudio C1

Not shure 1&2 is the right position an 3 is just on 3 because I prefere floorstanders

point is if you find good match for your amp it's really hard to choose....

...... :poke: Kef Ref 205/2

Neuphonix

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
don't forget the Diablos! >) Their detailed sound is a good match for the AMS.

But if you're going for floorstanders then that is another matter.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts