Musical fidelity M6i or Naim Nait xs to drive my B&W 683

Page 12 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Neuphonix

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
Hi Alex,

glad to hear things are settling in well for you.

Sorry if I just dropped in with such a brief "bad news bulletin" but I hadn't been feeling all that happy about the situation. Didn't mean to detract from the enjoyment you have been experiencing.

The torment I went through justifying such a large outlay on luxury items was really haunting me! Not to mention the hours & hours of research. But anyway a few weeks have allowed me a little distance from the "incident" & I'm thinking a bit straighter.

Thanks for your best wishes as well Cno.

So I heard back from the dealer last Friday & some good news. The distributor will be repairing both the amp & the speaker free of charge. Apparently (& forgive my lack of exact technical detail here) a couple of the transistors had malfunctioned which had caused the output stage to go which in turn had ruined the speaker.

I still can't offer any obvious external reason as to why this might have occured. The amp was the only device turn on at the time & all other parts of my set-up are still functioning perfectly (touch wood). It was mentioned that a power spike may have contributed, but my system runs on its own dedicated power circuit, so given that the other devices remain unaffected I have my doubts on this.

I have been turning the unit on & off each time I use it, the power consumption really put me off leaving it on permanently. The guy I dealt with at the ship says he leaves his A-class on all the time. If I did notice one thing was that as it cooled down after being turned off it did make quite a lot of metallic cracking/cooling sounds. I know that you had mentioned this was normal Cno, but I've got to think that it must put the unit under stress, all that metal expanding & contracting.

Will be looking at a good power filter/surge suppressor soon though. Cno, any thoughts on this? The dealer has two options, the Monster HTS1650 & the Thor PS10.

I have to say that whist I am pleased that the distributor has acknowledged the fault with the amp and are willing to bear the cost I really would have prefered them to completely replace both the speaker & them amp completely rather than repair it. I could be accused of focusing on the negative here but to me for a product in this price range to malfunction in such a way so early in its life....... I want a new one, not a repaired one! I'm still feeling somewhat uncertain about the repair to the speaker. The main driver was the only outwardly visible sign of damage, but given that somke was coming out of the front you would have to think that in internal wiring/cross over has been significantly damaged, not to mention the tweeter. I will be paying extra close attention to the sound, but I am praying I don't get into some drawn out affair.

I couldn't scream too loud because they have decided to repair a speaker which I didn't buy off them & this has been one of the real learning experience in this whole thing. I opted to import the speakers due to the nearly 35% price difference & I still stand by this decision. After all what could possibly go wrong with a speaker!? :wall: doh!

Fortunately however I bought the amp in Australia (imported price was only about 10% cheaper) as I felt that the price differential was not worth the risk. Much the same as my experience during the buying process the dealer has been nothing but supportive, so spending that bit extra was really like buying a form of insurance. They didn't get bitter about the fact that I had shopped them on the speakers they stood by me & sorted out the problem with minimal fuss.

The above paragraphs are all sounding reasonably positive so far & I have no real reason to think that this will change, but I haven't yet recieved either product back yet so dont want to count my chickens before they hatch. Will keep you posted.

Alex,

I would try getting your speakers up off the floor. I experimented with floor spikes on paving tiles before spending the extra on granite slabs. I found it really tighted things up & made a big difference to the overall clarity. Still I think you have already worked out that the speakers were going to be the next significant step! Keep saving!

Cno,

if it weren't for this misadventure I would have been trying to wrap my head around a Linn MajikDS by now! I've got a Qnap NAS set up & a new Ipad for the control point (had to buy one for the wife as well to justify this!). The thought of ripping my whole CD collection is pretty daunting. But this purchase has been pushed back for a bit until I come out on the other side. Still the reasearch I been doing so far seems to indicate that there will be a fair bit of time required to learn the ins & outs of the unit, llooking forward to it.

Talk soon,
Michael

Roby

Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Roby, glad things are getting gradually better.....is your wooden floor laid over concrete?....if not, have you isolated your speakers from it? (eg. with Granite).

My guess is that you are only getting around 40% of what the amp is capable of giving. If you are happy at the moment, things are only going to get substantially better.

I think you need to hear the way it can sound with the likes of Kef Refs, which should bring the excitement to the sound that you feel is sometimes is missing....the source also plays a big part in this.

Cables can be used at the end of the project to slightly change the presentation ie. Nordost are fast and lean; Cardas are organic and analogue sounding; Telurium Q are very neutral, detailed and musical.

I think the 35i reacts well to a decent mains cable......can you borrow one from your dealer friend to see what happens. That alone could help achieve some of what you're looking for.

I think Neuphonix has been incredibly unlucky, and we need to hear the full story before forming an opinion. This amp has been out for a few years, and a consistent problem as serious as this, is likely to have surfaced and be known about before now.

My friend, you are only scratching the surface of where you are going to end up!

CnoEvil said:
Roby, glad things are getting gradually better.....is your wooden floor laid over concrete?....if not, have you isolated your speakers from it? (eg. with Granite).

My guess is that you are only getting around 40% of what the amp is capable of giving. If you are happy at the moment, things are only going to get substantially better.

I think you need to hear the way it can sound with the likes of Kef Refs, which should bring the excitement to the sound that you feel is sometimes is missing....the source also plays a big part in this.

Cables can be used at the end of the project to slightly change the presentation ie. Nordost are fast and lean; Cardas are organic and analogue sounding; Telurium Q are very neutral, detailed and musical.

I think the 35i reacts well to a decent mains cable......can you borrow one from your dealer friend to see what happens. That alone could help achieve some of what you're looking for.

I think Neuphonix has been incredibly unlucky, and we need to hear the full story before forming an opinion. This amp has been out for a few years, and a consistent problem as serious as this, is likely to have surfaced and be known about before now.

My friend, you are only scratching the surface of where you are going to end up!

Well my guess is that they put the new floor directly on the existing floor because it not even everywhere. My feeling is that in very low frequency’s the floor is trilling this maybe one of the reasons I get this horn effect from time to time.

This will change after my modifications my plan is to put some acoustic wool under the floor that will help absorbing an will make my neighbor happy ;-)

In the mean time I will folow you advice an ask my father fore two granite stones (or is there maybe a better material?)

Concerning the speakers I heard the ams on Dynaudio C1, B&W 803 an Avalon Idea all 3 where good an I'm not shore witch one got my preference I might say Avalon but when I heard those it was a long time an I had less experience so that would still be my choice. C1 where also impressive certainly for such a small speaker, but I'm not shore it will be able to bring out the full potential of the AMS. An than well the 803's I still love B&W so not Shure I'm objective here but I was impressed because they sounded light an fast compared to when I heard theme on the Perreaux 250i witch is rated at 250 watt....on the other hand I admit they can get a little boomy some times. I also heard the AMS on 2 pair of Sonus Faber one floor stander but can't recall witch one (Maybe Alex can help me here) But that I didn't like it sounded flat....An the stand mounds well I tought they were getting to boomy it was like they were trying to catch there breathe.

An I still want to hear Pro arc D28 & D40 because I really liked there presentation with the Sugden IA-4 so I’m curious about the result on AMS.

Then I also want the focal Diablo’s

An of course the Kef ref 205

So at this point my shortlist isn’t really short an I guess the decision will be extremely hard.

The source Well I try not to think about it for now because I thing If I go to that pad with my budget at this moment I might settle for the next best thing witch would be a shame. For all I know, I want a excellent cd player I’m thinking about Electro compagniet, MF M6cd or who know the ams, …..an a TT table provably Clear audio Performance or VPI scout.

I know some of you say streaming is future. But for me having a Squeez box for 2 month’s now it’s just doen’t really fit me at least for now at least for now.

About the cables I thought this should be done on they end no? Well I guess I can borrow some cables from the dealer to try out, See what he have in stock actually he is advising “A-ha” cables you have any thoughts about those?

Roby

Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
Macspur said:
Hi Roby,

I have no doubt you have got some really enjoyable hours ahead of you with the AMs.

Not missing the Lavardin at all?

Cheers

Mac

Well For shure I don't miss the Lavardin. But I admid it was getting better an better certenly afthe I left it on 24/7 as the dealer adviced it wa getting warmer an warmer an very musical. So if I miss smthing about it is tha fact noticing it was getting extreemly good for an amp I didn't like at all at the beginning. Somtimes I was working on my pc an noticed "damn this sound sweet" But honestly it is IMO still far from the AMS or the Sugden, but than again I guess it more depends of the presentation your afther. Beside the fact there was no remote an you had to turn it of on the back was really bugging me. If I had dicided to buy the Lavardin I think I had never put my mind at rest about those 2 negative points. A third one is each time I turned it of (on the back) I heard a enoying cracling sound in my speakers. Thats also one of the reasons (biside the sound d that was getting better an better) that I didn't turn it if anymore.

Hey you experimented with your cd player on the AMS what was your feeling about that? is it a good match? When I look in you treat I recall you giving your thoughts about the AMS VS Sugden but not really about the synergie AMS & Electrocompagniet CDP. This really interest my If you don't mind ;-)

Roby

Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
Neuphonix

I'm glad to here it looks like it's going to work out.

My personal opinion

well I can understand your doubts an I would have expect theme to send you a new one, because like you said at this price range an you did nothing wrong so....

So if it would happen wild mine I would not leave it untill I'm completly happy with the result. For now if I where you I will give theme the benefit of the doubt. But be on my guard for the results...

keep us in the loop succes.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
@Neuphonix

Hi Michael, thank you for reporting in with such a comprehensive reply.

I think that on the whole, you've been treated fairly and are wise not to push for more. It's a dodgy area, but if they were ruthless, they would only have replaced the amp.....though (as already stated) you would be wise to give it a very close assessment when you get it back.

When looking at surge suppression, it's vital that anything you use doesn't "choke back" the available current, as this will badly effect the dynamics of the amp....which needs all the power it can get (my lights dip when I switch mine on)!

IMO The Linn Majik DS will turn your system from a good one, into a great one.....let me know when you get a listen. Linn use competent dealers that are there to "walk you through" the setup of the system, or in my case, do the whole thing for you. There is also a lot of good stuff on their website.

Re the amp:

- I never leave my amp on, and would never consider doing so.

- When I asked about the cracking, I was told this was perfectly normal, as there are 2 different metals used. There is a possible action that can somewhat mitigate this....when the amp's casework is being fitted, the screws holding it, can be a little over-tightened, as it's done mechanically.

The solution is to check them all and slightly loosen any that are over tightened (3 or 4 in my case). This improved the problem by maybe 60-70%.....I got the dealer to do it as I didn't want to take any chances on the warranty.

I hope the next episode of of this tragedy is as positive as the last.

Cno

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Roby said:
Macspur said:
Hi Roby,

I have no doubt you have got some really enjoyable hours ahead of you with the AMs.

Not missing the Lavardin at all?

Cheers

Mac

Well For shure I don't miss the Lavardin. But I admid it was getting better an better certenly afthe I left it on 24/7 as the dealer adviced it wa getting warmer an warmer an very musical. So if I miss smthing about it is tha fact noticing it was getting extreemly good for an amp I didn't like at all at the beginning. Somtimes I was working on my pc an noticed "damn this sound sweet" But honestly it is IMO still far from the AMS or the Sugden, but than again I guess it more depends of the presentation your afther. Beside the fact there was no remote an you had to turn it of on the back was really bugging me. If I had dicided to buy the Lavardin I think I had never put my mind at rest about those 2 negative points. A third one is each time I turned it of (on the back) I heard a enoying cracling sound in my speakers. Thats also one of the reasons (biside the sound d that was getting better an better) that I didn't turn it if anymore.

Hey you experimented with your cd player on the AMS what was your feeling about that? is it a good match? When I look in you treat I recall you giving your thoughts about the AMS VS Sugden but not really about the synergie AMS & Electrocompagniet CDP. This really interest my If you don't mind ;-)

Agree the Lavardin not in the same league as the AMS or Sugden and certainly I can see the lack of a remote would deter some people.

I cannot speak highly enough of the EMC1UP and in my search I demoed quite a lot of well respected players along the way,... Wadia, Audio Research, Crell, Esoteric and Sugden... the latter being the only rival to Electrocompaniet.

Combined with the AMS35I you will hear a very rich full bodied presentation and superb detail.

Cheers

Mac

Roby

Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
Hello,

So here I have the ams now for 3weeks played arround 150h now I think...an it's getting better an better...

it slightly getting this curvy drum kick an waemer vioce.

One thing is a litle bugging still I have the strong impression I have to go higher on the volume (easely 10 sometimes 11)than I had to on thr demo one I had at home if I went that high then in was almost not supotable.....

Maybe this will change with thz timz but still I think it's strange.....

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Roby said:
Hello,

So here I have the ams now for 3weeks played arround 150h now I think...an it's getting better an better...

it slightly getting this curvy drum kick an waemer vioce.

One thing is a litle bugging still I have the strong impression I have to go higher on the volume (easely 10 sometimes 11)than I had to on thr demo one I had at home if I went that high then in was almost not supotable.....

Maybe this will change with thz timz but still I think it's strange.....

By 10, do you mean 10 o'clock (around 35 on the dial?)

I listen at 25 (moderate) to 37 (pretty loud) or 9 o'clock to 10 o'clock....but my speakers are more sensitive (90 dB) compared to your 685s (88 dB).

Please bear in mind that CDs can be recorded at very different volume levels.

Both amps that I've had were similar, regarding the position of the volume knob.....are you sure about this, as one's memory can play tricks, especially if you start getting paranoid.

How much more do you think you have had to up the volume by, and has it been like this from new?...Nb. mine hasn't changed from new.

One way to test things is trying them on Acalex's speakers, and seeing if you get the same effect.

Other than this, how are you finding things?......if you go for floorstanders, they should be more sensitive. This amp likes speakers that are sensitive and have plummeting impedance.

Roby

Jan 17, 2012
Visit site

By 10, do you mean 10 o'clock (around 35 on the dial?)

[/quote]

Exactly

[/quote]

I listen at 25 (moderate) to 37 (pretty loud) or 9 o'clock to 10 o'clock....but my speakers are more sensitive (90 dB) compared to your 685s (88 dB).

[/quote]

Atualy I never used the 685's on the AMS only tha 683's wich also have a sensitivity of 90db

[/quote]

Please bear in mind that CDs can be recorded at very different volume levels.

Both amps that I've had were similar, regarding the position of the volume knob.....are you sure about this, as one's memory can play tricks, especially if you start getting paranoid.

[/quote]

Well that's wy I didn't want to answer yesterday. I spend my day listening to music an one thing I noticed is that I have to turn up the volume slightly up when I use the SB compared to cd (I didn't had the SB when I had the demo model at home). Provably that's playing tricks with my mind. That cd's or lp's have different recording levels can be tricky sometimes I admit.

Don't get my wrong it's going loud enough both way's....it was just the difference I had the feeling there was who was bothering me.

[/quote]

How much more do you think you have had to up the volume by, and has it been like this from new?...Nb. mine hasn't changed from new.

[/quote]

Wek to be honest now I don't really know anymore but is not much. It's just I usualy listen an listened at 9o' clock. An yesterday while I was working a bit I even noticed I droped it down under 9....

But actualy I'm also thinking correct me if I'm wrong, The playing in time improves the dynimics it's like they loosing up more n more. An the demo model I had was already played in...but I'm just gessing maybe it's just my mind playing tricks with me....

[/quote]

One way to test things is trying them on Acalex's speakers, and seeing if you get the same effect.

[/quote]

Maybe it will be fun :)

[/quote]

Other than this, how are you finding things?......if you go for floorstanders, they should be more sensitive. This amp likes speakers that are sensitive and have plummeting impedance.

[/quote]

Actualy it's great for the rest I still have a horn effect on some tracks but as this is less than in the beginning, I was thinking new amp maybe the speakers need some adapting time.... as the current delivered to the speakers is different (or is this stupid thinking). An I also ordred granit slabs 40/40/3 at a friends for me an for Alex I guess this will improve thinks to.

For my speakers I sligtly prefer floorstanders but I do'n rule out stand mount's.

Thing is I found a pair of

Avalon Acendents at 6900€ ex demo (usualy they go for 14000€) sesitivity of 89db

never listened to theme only the idea 88db witch where great so I will try to organise a demo.

Also found a pair of B&W 803 7month's old for 4000€.

I have other speakers on my shortlist, but this are good deals no?

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Roby said:
1. Atualy I never used the 685's on the AMS only tha 683's wich also have a sensitivity of 90db

2. Well that's wy I didn't want to answer yesterday. I spend my day listening to music an one thing I noticed is that I have to turn up the volume slightly up when I use the SB compared to cd (I didn't had the SB when I had the demo model at home). Provably that's playing tricks with my mind. That cd's or lp's have different recording levels can be tricky sometimes I admit.

Don't get my wrong it's going loud enough both way's....it was just the difference I had the feeling there was who was bothering me.

3. Wek to be honest now I don't really know anymore but is not much. It's just I usualy listen an listened at 9o' clock. An yesterday while I was working a bit I even noticed I droped it down under 9....

But actualy I'm also thinking correct me if I'm wrong, The playing in time improves the dynimics it's like they loosing up more n more. An the demo model I had was already played in...but I'm just gessing maybe it's just my mind playing tricks with me....

4. Actualy it's great for the rest I still have a horn effect on some tracks but as this is less than in the beginning, I was thinking new amp maybe the speakers need some adapting time.... as the current delivered to the speakers is different (or is this stupid thinking). An I also ordred granit slabs 40/40/3 at a friends for me an for Alex I guess this will improve thinks to.

For my speakers I sligtly prefer floorstanders but I do'n rule out stand mount's.

Thing is I found a pair of Avalon Acendents at 6900€ ex demo (usualy they go for 14000€) sesitivity of 89db never listened to theme only the idea 88db witch where great so I will try to organise a demo.

Also found a pair of B&W 803 7month's old for 4000€.

I have other speakers on my shortlist, but this are good deals no?

1. I think this is the key to why you need more volume. A 2dB drop in sensitivity is quite big, as I think it's a logarithmic scale....Oldric (or any knowledgeable other), if about will give you a better idea.

2. Anything that's changed since the original test needs to be looked at, so this along with the less sensitive speakers should be more than enough to explain the difference.

3. The amp should improve over the first month. Once panic sets in, it's very easy to get the wrong end of the stick....I would have been a little worried if nothing had changed....but it has.

4. If you can fill your stands with rice (or kiln dried sand) to help absorb vibrations, and this along with the granite slabs, should help with the boominess of the bass ("horn effect" has a possible meaning that's quite different)

With that amp, I would probably be looking at floorstanders to help with efficiency....unless you look at standmounts from brands like Living Voice, Harbeth, Audio Note or JM Renaud.

The Avalons are suberb, but may be a bit ruthlessly revealing on preceeding kit (ie. source) and poor recordings....you need to proceed with caution (and a very long demo, as what starts as exciting could become tiring after a while). A speaker may be good value, but if you can get a preferable sound for similar money, it isn't a wise move.

IMO The Kef Refs are better than the B&Ws, as well as a great match for the 35i.....so make sure you get a listen to some 205/2s before committing.

So to some up, I don't think you've anything to worry about, and if you get a speaker with a sensitivity of 90 dB, things will go back to where they were.

-

Roby

Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
Don't get me wrong, I always had my 683 floor standers so apart from my listening position an a slightly different speaker position nothing changed, sinds I had the demo kit.

But like you said I noticed once again yesterday a lot depend of the recording (cd & even vinyl). About the sb I can't really tell as I didn't had it when I had the demo kit at home. But in general I put the volume a litle higher when the radio is playing from the SB, I don't use it for streaming my music as I much prefer the sound direcly from my CDP or vinyl.

One thing I noticed yesterday (I had 1h listening session) well on the better recordings the dramatics (don't know it's the right word) are huge an full with plenty of detail an space. I was once again truly impressed :) . An on those recording I noticed I usualy stay under 10 an it's f..... loud above that it just to have fun see how everything is trilling ;-).

Also noticed the is a higher volume difference between 10 an 11 than between 9 an 10, but I easely admid here tis could be my imagination.

So botem line is once again we have to be really carfull about the statments we make. Because a lot depend of external factors.

An one of them is the state of mind I'm in during that particular momment. There are those days I have the feeling my ears abandoned me an nothing sounds the way I want it to......

An than it depend of the recordings an provably also the music style you're in to at that momment, as yesterday par example I was truly impressed by some but other made me want to trow it all true the window.

Roby

Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
IMO The Kef Refs are better than the B&Ws, as well as a great match for the 35i.....so make sure you get a listen to some 205/2s before committing.

So to some up, I don't think you've anything to worry about, and if you get a speaker with a sensitivity of 90 dB, things will go back to where they were.

-

I'm trying to have a demo of the Keff's

But the shop who have Keff have no AMS35i so I have to take mine with me. I guess you can imagine this is bugging me as you know it's not light an than it also mean it will need the time to warm up.

An also I don't realy like the idear of traveling arround with my gear.

But I will go for a demo anyway an I'm shure Alex will help my with the carying part. ;-)

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Roby said:

But the shop who have Keff have no AMS35i so I have to take mine with me. I guess you can imagine this is bugging me as you know it's not light an than it also mean it will need the time to warm up.

But I will go for a demo anyway an I'm shure Alex will help my with the carying part. ;-)

With regarding your demo with the Kefs, I would like to throw out some suggestions that may help get the most from your session (given the effort of dragging your amp down there).

- Contact the dealer, so that you agree in advance the source (suitable quality) and the cables (preferably good copper ones), they will be using.

- Try a decent mains cable on your amp, while there.

- Check where the volume knob is, while testing the 205s (10 o'clock should be very loud)

Nb. IMO. Most of the harshness you are getting with your current system, is down to your digital sources.

You are also left with no reasonable alternative, other than taking your amp to the dealer, in order to try out speakers.

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Roby said:
CnoEvil said:

-

Any possibility of a home demo Roby with the Kefs?

Mac

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Macspur said:

Mac

Hi Mac

I would have suggested that, but the 205s are big, heavy and hard to pack/unpack.....and the likelyhood of expensive damage would be quite high.

In order to rule them in/out, it would be much easier to bring the amp to them.

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Macspur said:

Mac

Hi Mac

I would have suggested that, but the 205s are big, heavy and hard to pack/unpack.....and the likelyhood of expensive damage would be quite high.

In order to rule them in/out, it would be much easier to bring the amp to them.

Ah, that's a pity, as I feel home demoing speakers, out of all components, is

probably the most important.

Cheers

Mac

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Macspur said:

Cheers

Mac

Mac, you are of course correct.

What I did was, (through demoing at dealers), narrow the choice down to the speakers that I was 90% sure were right for me. Getting them home was a rubber stamping excercise, with the ability to return, on the unlikely event that they sounded completely different (in a bad way).

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Macspur said:

Cheers

Mac

Mac, you are of course correct.

What I did was, (through demoing at dealers), narrow the choice down to the speakers that I was 90% sure were right for me. Getting them home was a rubber stamping excercise, with the ability to return, on the unlikely event that they sounded completely different (in a bad way).

A most sensible approach under the circumstances Cno... as long as one has a fair and decent dealer to agree to it.

Cheers

Mac

Roby

Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Roby said:

With regarding your demo with the Kefs, I would like to throw out some suggestions that may help get the most from your session (given the effort of dragging your amp down there).

- Contact the dealer, so that you agree in advance the source (suitable quality) and the cables (preferably good copper ones), they will be using.

- Try a decent mains cable on your amp, while there.

- Check where the volume knob is, while testing the 205s (10 o'clock should be very loud)

Nb. IMO. Most of the harshness you are getting with your current system, is down to your digital sources.

You are also left with no reasonable alternative, other than taking your amp to the dealer, in order to try out speakers.

I was going to give theme a call but they are on holiday for now. but I guess if I ask nicely it will be no problem....

Home demo speakers there seems unlikly first of all wel yes speakers are heavy but secountly I've never been in that shop before.

I agree with the cdp issue but are you saying I'm better of changing my cdp first?..... :quest: :?

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Roby said:
I agree with the cdp issue but are you saying I'm better of changing my cdp first?..... :quest: :?

No - I think you will get the biggest gain from the speakers......but don't then worry about some of your music sounding poor, as better speakers (especially very revealing ones) could highlight this even more.

Everything will finally slot into place, when an appropriate source is slotted into place.

Good luck with your demo, and I look forward to your thoughts afterwards

Cno

Roby

Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
Cno

I finaly will have that demo of keff 205

Demo booked for tomorow 2pm.

But as he is not stocking the AMS 35i an I don't really want to pack mine, I will at first have a listening on the gear he have an provably go back later

I'm getting curiuos 8)

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Roby said:
Cno

I finaly will have that demo of keff 205

Demo booked for tomorow 2pm.

But as he is not stocking the AMS 35i an I don't really want to pack mine, I will at first have a listening on the gear he have an provably go back later

I'm getting curiuos 8)

Roby will be trying the demo the same place where I tried the Plinius SA103 with Kef reference. It is a nice guy, very knowledgeable but a bit "older" school as it didn't know much about streaming.

Given the size and weight of speakers I doubt it will be willing to allow an home demo...but as Cno said maybe you can shortlist speakers, if the Kef 205/2 stays till the end you can have a good listening session bringing your amp...and then decide to buy them with opportunity to take them back in case they sound completely different.

I think you will be impressed by these speakers, especially if you use a good source. I strongly advise you to ask him which CDs player he has in stock and ask him if he can prepare a good turntable (as we were demoing the Plinius using a Rega Apollo CDP)...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts