Musical fidelity M6i or Naim Nait xs to drive my B&W 683

Page 11 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Neuphonix

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
There is always going to be some level of comprimise

But just think how much better Uncharted of Mass Effect would be pumping out of your 685's!!! >)

I guess I was just thinking if you could manage to pick up a econd hand AV with pre-outs, sell your 1911, so that the change over was less than say $800? then maybe it was worth considering in the short term.

I know this goes against what I said about saving up for your speakers but I really think the benifit is worthwhile. Much more than say the difference between two CD players, but that's just my opinion & based on my usage.

How many days to go now before the AMP warming party? :cheers:

Roby

Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
Voila ;-)

The reason I didn't came on the forum this period Is because I was strugling with my tought's an started to have sereous doubts about my choices an the amount of money I was prepared to spend.

Sertenly afther I compared M1 Vynl with Alex's phono stage...Don't get me wrong The M1 is superb but when we compared both thz EAR was just that litle more musical....

But I thing you should have some perspective...

The M1 was less played in, cost like half the price an it will be much better hooked up to my AMS.

First I have to say the Lavardin was sounding better an better The dealer adviced me to keep it on wich I did an effectifly it was sounding warmer an nice detailed with a controlled tunfull bass.

So no the reason I'm back, The AMS arrived 2 weeks ago but I only picked it up Friday as I was stucked in bussines trips the last weeks.

I'went to the dealer afther work. I had to hurry as my client was like 120km away from the dealer. It took me a litle less than 2h to arrive I told the dealer he said don't worry I have someone her from france who spend 4h in the car for a demo :O

So when I arrived We went outside have some wine great new one "Barbera d'alba" If I remember well. when he have it in his assortiment for shure I will buy some botles.

I arrived at 18.45 an left arround 21.00 an didn't notice at all 2h where gone by.

So afther that So with my amp an much lighter bank acount went home. I had this strange feeling happy because it was done but.....asking my self what kind of person does this???? I love my music, so when I think about it's it more like I'm a bit ashamed I can affort to buy this kind of gear... Because let be honest most people can't an let be honest it is a litle extravagant. It took me a while to realise it was more that tought I was strugling with than spending the money on it self.

So no some heavy lifting... Damn it's heavy.... I didn't remeber it was thar heavy last time I carried on up stairs.

At first.

My best friend came to my apartment last week an told me I have a nice place an she can understand I want a good relaxing possition to listen to my music. But like this it just look like a storrage room.

It was kind of late an I needed to move some funiture arround.I left The amp in the box watched a movie an went to sleep.

In the morning I started to move stuff, but afther a while I had no imagination an didn't know it any more so went out. Stated to think about tha best set upp only in the morning

Slowly I found let see the best compromise an put everything in place. It's far from perfect an shutly not the way I want it but it's a compromise like I said. On the other hand I'm shure I wil move a few thinks arrond in the next day's.

Thing is the dealer said I shoul not move the amp arround as I will restard the playingin process over an over again. even if I think this is kind of strange I geuss I will maybe try 1 or 2 smaal set up chages but afther that avoid to move my gear arround.

At least untill my construction work begin. An than I will have a decent set up an normaly definate position for my gear at least I hope.

So it was not untill yesterday 21H I was able to open the magic heavy box an hook up the AMS. put some cd's on. an yes it sounded good. Let just say like with every amp I tested you need to get used to it. My impression was that it was less musical than what I was used to from the AMS I didn't have a long listening but some times I was tinking the bass was a bit overwelming an the dedail to metalic...

I'm not worrying about it as I have now a new listening position witch I need to get used to an tha amp imp is brand new an need to play in loosening up a bit.

Ho year it look's beatifull in my set an it is black....

Only bad thing about yesterday is that while I was moving my stuff arround I axedently pushed in one of the tweeters on my 683's. I managed to get it out again almost fully with duck tape but you can still see some scratches on the aluminium :-(

I hope I didn't damage it sonicly I mean. My first impression is no but my listening session was to short to tell.

Maybe one of you can tell me...

All things considerd I'm really happy with my new toy :rockout:

An I'm already thinking about my next upgrade >)

Altrough I'm not shure what that will be....

Speakers

cdp

TT

Grtz

Roby

Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
oh year

During my listening session it was getting f.king warm in my apartment....

an somthing I didn't mention but yesterday I had again this tought...that remote damn.... :wall:

But that is something I already knew, but still :twisted:

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Roby, it's good to hear back from you, especially with such a straightforward and honest assessment of what you're going through.....don't worry too much, as it often takes time, patience and experimentation, in order to get the sound right.

Let the amp settle in for a few days before making too much of an assessment. I'm as sure as I can be, that you will end up being very comfortable with your decision.

If your floor is suspended, isolating your speakers from it, should greatly improve the bass.

Playing around with the placement (much as you're doing), pays dividends.

The remote is a complete pain, so keep an eye out on Ebay for a cheap plastic MF one....or see if the dealer has one lying about.

In the winter you'll be glad of the extra heat!

It's not until you upgrade the speakers that you will finally get the whole balance right.

I look forward to hearing what you have to say, when things have settled down a little.

Cno

Roby

Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
D'ont get me wrong I'm shure in the long run I made the close to perfect choice, as there is no pefect IMO but only the best compomise an I made a damn good one :grin:

I'm not woried There is a reason I chose this amp...during the few demo's I had it blew me away almost every time. So during this demo's an the week I had one at home I had a small view on what it's capable of. So my guess is its capable of much more an now I have the time to discover it.

The 2 negative point's I mentioned whell I was aware of them before buying this beauty. Just one of theme was really pointed out to me when I opened the box an saw a small screw driver.... :?

It have been a fun expirience going to all this demo's with alex thanks to him BTW helping me going true the proces.

Also you Cno & others thanks for your help an advice.It certenly played a big role in my choice. An it will in the future to.

Has been a long road to my choice during witch I learned a lot an educated my ears.

I know the positioning of my gear could be better but for now I try to keep it that way untill next year when my expansion of my apartment is finished, maybe I try 1 or 2 small changes but that's it.

I kept the AMS running for +/- 20H now an the sound getting better an better. Detail is losen up an I have more space between Voice an instruments An I only expect it to get better, bass is tighter but still a bit overwelming But I was thinking before there where curtains behind my speakers an they where standing on a carpet. Now in the new configuration there is a naked wall behind the speakers an the carpet is laying in front of theme. Maybe thats playing also a role an I should test some stuff with those items.

I let you know how my sound improves along this proces

Every tip is of course welcome.

So now I'm looking forward to the demo's with Alex treu or next upgrades an to those just for fun of listening to superb sets, dreaming away....one day....who know's

An of corse the endless listening sessions comparing AMS & Jadis with a good glass of wine (botle)....fun fun fun :)

Ps: Doe't anybody know if I might have damaged my tweeter?

Because when I try to listen to it it's hard to tell.

grtz

toyota man

Apr 22, 2009
Visit site
Hi Roby I have been following your posts with intrest I cannot remember if you listened to the mf m6 pre power combination

if so how did it compare to the m6i I am glad that you are enjoying your new ams amp I think a few minor adjustments and a bit more of a burn in and before you know it the sound will be magic : ) :)

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
toyota man said:
Hi Roby I have been following your posts with intrest I cannot remember if you listened to the mf m6 pre power combination

if so how did it compare to the m6i I am glad that you are enjoying your new ams amp I think a few minor adjustments and a bit more of a burn in and before you know it the sound will be magic : ) :)

Hi TM, here is the relevant bit of the thread (post No.9):
http://www.whathifi.com/forum/hi-fi/musical-fidelity-m6i-or-naim-nait-xs-to-drive-my-bw-683?page=13

It is both the opinion of Roby (and El Hefe) that the sound upgrade is not good value for money.

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Hi Roby,

So glad the AMS is finally in place... give it time and just like the Lavardin, you will come to fully appreciate this fine purchase, especially as Cno said, once you upgrade your speakers.

Know what you mean about the heat though... even toastier than my Sugden!

Look forward to reading further impressions from you.

Cheers

Mac

paradiziac

Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
All the best Roby!

One thing I've learned is to buy good components (as you have done!) and then to trust them. None of my components sounded amazing when I first put them in the system, sometimes it needs some care with set up etc to get a sound you are happy with.

toyota man

Apr 22, 2009
Visit site
Thanks Cno I will have a quick read I thought I had read it but was feeling a bit to lazy to go through the complete post you are a gentleman :cheers: :cheers:

El Hefe

Jun 21, 2008
Visit site
Roby said:
An I'm already thinking about my next upgrade >)

Altrough I'm not shure what that will be....

Speakers

cdp

TT

Grtz

Hi Roby,

I have been away from the forum for awhile now. Its good to see that you are settling down with your amp choice....like any other new equipment....it takes time for you to get use to it.... But on the query of the next upgrade....just a hint....I heard this from a bird that was chirping outside my window this morning:

Come Nov...MF may be launching a new M6 high end DAC and a pair of in ear earphones....Not to sure whats the latter all about....but looking forward for the M6 DAC...

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Roby said:
El Hefe said:
Come Nov...MF may be launching a new M6 high end DAC and a pair of in ear earphones....Not to sure whats the latter all about....but looking forward for the M6 DAC...

MMMM might be tempting :?

Don't get tempted my friend! Wait for the works to be over and then restart looking. I think you can get so much more from your system once you will be completely settled...

So I can finally bring the champagne? :cheers:

Roby

Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
acalex said:
Roby said:
El Hefe said:

Don't get tempted my friend! Wait for the works to be over and then restart looking. I think you can get so much more from your system once you will be completely settled...

If you wait until the work is fully done we drink champagne somewhere in 2015.... :shame:

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Roby said:
acalex said:
Roby said:
El Hefe said:

If you wait until the work is fully done we drink champagne somewhere in 2015.... :shame:

No...wait to upgrade until works are completed. At least of the living room :)

Champagne we plan for next week (Friday morning I am off to Italy for some sun, back on Monday)

Neuphonix

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
Hi Roby,

glad to hear you finally picked your new baby up.

I just have to pass on my recent experience with my new AMS. As you know I've had it for about two months now, last week it set one of my new Diablos on fire! So not really all that happy |(

Came home, turned on the amp to let it warm up (no source or anything ealse was turnd on). Few minutes laters noticed a burning smell & found smoke pouring out the front of the right channel speaker.

Hopefully I just got a bad unit, but it has really soured my new hifi experience. I was really hoping that this amp & speaker set-up would be one that would last me for the next 10 - 20 years.

I'm hoping that the dealer is going to do the right thing by me & replace the amp & fix the speaker. They've taken away the amp & the speakers for testing & have given me a tentative "yes we think it is a problem with the amp" so far. It might all end up OK but I'm feeling pretty shattered by the whole experience.

Sorry to be a downer on you new toy, hopefully it works out better for you than it has for me.

Will keep you posted of any developments.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Neuphonix said:
Hi Roby,

I just have to pass on my recent experience with my new AMS. As you know I've had it for about two months now, last week it set one of my new Diablos on fire! So not really all that happy |(

Came home, turned on the amp to let it warm up (no source or anything ealse was turnd on). Few minutes laters noticed a burning smell & found smoke pouring out the front of the right channel speaker.

Hopefully I just got a bad unit, but it has really soured my new hifi experience. I was really hoping that this amp & speaker set-up would be one that would last me for the next 10 - 20 years.

I'm hoping that the dealer is going to do the right thing by me & replace the amp & fix the speaker. They've taken away the amp & the speakers for testing & have given me a tentative "yes we think it is a problem with the amp" so far. It might all end up OK but I'm feeling pretty shattered by the whole experience.

Sorry to be a downer on you new toy, hopefully it works out better for you than it has for me.

I'm truly sorry to hear this, and hope that you get the matter sorted to your satisfaction.

Roby

Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
Neuphonix said:
Hi Roby,

Roby

Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
Neuphonix said:
Hi Roby,

Roby

Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
Neuphonix said:
Hi Roby,

Damn bummer I'm sorry man I hope they do the right thing an fix this right for you.

Now it seem not that smart that I left my amp running while I'm at work to speed up the running in proces.... :?

But have to say the sound improves every day bass is getting tighter an the detail is pretty amazing, but I try to explain more in detail this wknd.

Have to be honest I'm kind of looking forward to this wknd when I have a little time for some small propper listening sessions :bounce:

Just, still thinking about my tweeter problem witch is still bugging me :twisted: but oké

Roby

Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
So almost listened whole the weekend to my music....

So for now I guess the play in time heve been a little more than 50h, I agree it's not much but at this point I can anly sar it's getting better an better. Actualy I moved the furniture again. So according to the dealer the running in proces restarted from 0, personaly I doubt that maybe you lose a bit but get it back quicker than befor I think. Or is it that my new positioning of my gear is that much better???? True I found a pretty good position for now.

One thing we all know the AMS is getting extreemly warm, but I didn't remember the demo amp was getting that warm.

An on top of that the demo kit was on the floor on a carepet now its on top of a wooden rack so it should get a little less warm no??? On the left 2cm from it there is my TT an on the right my cdp.... but the top is free so plenty of space to breathe.

Considering the misadventure our friend had this is worieing me a bit.

Now like I said the sound is slowly but shurly getting set to what I'm reaching for.

It's like how more it plays how space I get. the bass is getting tighter an fuller. I have less this horn feeling on the low department it still there on some albums but its getting better.

Eronicly I also noticed that his strongness can be a weaknes.... What I mean is I'm so amazed by the accuratie thz sound can get so real it's superb... really. But than it can also be a weaknes

EX I put up the Daftpunk album Alive 1997. It great it usualy want to make me shake I listened to the cd in the gym on a budget system an it was getting really punchy an you didn't really get the live feeling.

An on the ams I still like the mix but I felt really live an in the process lost a bit of agressivity don't get me wrong everything was there, more than I ever heard before it is like you are in front of the stage, an in they end it still make me shake...an actualy it was not wrong but it was a completly different presentation than what I heard in the week.

So normaly on most of my music I consider this a ++++

but here can't really tell my first impresion was that it was missing a bit agresivity...

Thats what I mean when I say sometimes it's to good :)

So to resume my experience of the wknd.

Detail is exeptional I discover subtilitys on almost every recording. (when it is a bad recording aswell :-( )

The mid is getting that space every instrument get his place even on more complicated music they don't stucked to ech other but you still have a nice, sweet harmonic separation between the instruments.

The voices are full bodied an warm already on modt of the albums some of theme still have this harsh peaks but as it's getting better I don't expect it to last to long.

On the bass department like I said it getting a nice roundy, curvy touch.

Tighter an pacier, like it have more room to express it self.

Altrue it it's still overwelming from time to time an than you get this horn effect, but here aswell as it's getting better I don't expect it to last.

But as you know I'm not the most patient kind of guy next wknd I will get a secound carpet four the woden part who is still naked in my livingroom in front of my speakers.

See if it improves.

Taking all in considseration I had a pretty good weekend an also start to put my mind at rest with my choice hearing the results. An this on my current gear.

So to be honest I have a good feeling about the future when I upgrade my component's to the capability's of the AMS.

Keep you posted.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Roby, glad things are getting gradually better.....is your wooden floor laid over concrete?....if not, have you isolated your speakers from it? (eg. with Granite).

My guess is that you are only getting around 40% of what the amp is capable of giving. If you are happy at the moment, things are only going to get substantially better.

I think you need to hear the way it can sound with the likes of Kef Refs, which should bring the excitement to the sound that you feel is sometimes is missing....the source also plays a big part in this.

Cables can be used at the end of the project to slightly change the presentation ie. Nordost are fast and lean; Cardas are organic and analogue sounding; Telurium Q are very neutral, detailed and musical.

I think the 35i reacts well to a decent mains cable......can you borrow one from your dealer friend to see what happens. That alone could help achieve some of what you're looking for.

I think Neuphonix has been incredibly unlucky, and we need to hear the full story before forming an opinion. This amp has been out for a few years, and a consistent problem as serious as this, is likely to have surfaced and be known about before now.

My friend, you are only scratching the surface of where you are going to end up!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts