Music for studying

Chokobolt

Mar 6, 2010
Visit site
This September I began studying (philosophy) at a university. I will therefore be spending a lot of time reading/studying.

What is some good music to study to (preferably without vocals)? I love classical music, but I welcome any genre and suggestions you may have.

iJoe

Mar 14, 2008
Visit site
Last Samurai - Hans Zimmer

The fountain - Clint Mansell.

Any soundtracks.

Chillout music - I have a few combination albums.

I find it funny that I have also to listen to music to aid focus. I think it must be about distracting part of my brain that interferes. A friend of mine wears ear muffs to block all noise..

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
John Cage 4' 33".

On endless loop.

Anything or everything by Miley Cyrus. you are only allowed to turn it off when your study session is successfully completed

cannibal_ox77

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
skippy said:
Trentemoller - Last resort

Howie B - Music for babies

BT - This binary universe

Good shout, I'd add;

Boards of Canada (music has the right / in a beautiful place)

Susuma Yokota (Sakura, grinning cat nicely ambient but rich and interesting)

Ulrich Schnauss

Cafe Del Mar vol 1 (you can practically trace the lineage of all mainstream "chill out" comps back to this classic

The Cinematic Orchestra

Four Tet (especially Rounds & There is love in you, two different sounds but both nice in the background)

T

the record spot

Everyone is different; I listen to speech radio mainly. The US networks in the morning, then BBC Radio 4 from noon till about 1.30, various till around 4pm then Drive on 5 Live and back to Radio Four for PM from 5.00 - it's probably already been mentioned but the Tune-in app is well worth seeking out. Free, or very cheap for the full version and an easy to use interface.

Covenanter

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
I'm in the last year of an Open University History degree and do most of my studying at home. I have found that what you need is music that doesn't grab your attention but provides a steady background to thought. The things I would recommend are:
1) Baroque music in general, so everything from Bach to Haydn.
2) Early polyphony, Palestrina, Victoria etc
3) Haydn and Mozart strong quartets
4) Haydn symphonies and early Mozart symphonies
If you want to listen to the radio Classic FM is quite good for this purpose but the adverts can be distracting.
"Pop" music I find distracting as I find myself singing along.
Chris

John_S

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
I find that anything really familiar works for me when I'm writing. If I try to listen to something new, my brain tunes in and I can't concentrate on my work. Unless it's classical – pretty much anything orchestral works for me.

Hard bop, on the other hand, does not. :O

bluedroog

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
Have you tired Spotify? If you go to browse they have very long playlists of mood music including ‘music to study to’ which I find very good.

TRENDING THREADS