Mr. boggit -- update on your Sugden

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
Hi

The Leema has sadly gone Sold for £440 very close to what i paid 2 years ago.

As for the Sugden, still the same. Yes its slightly better. Put it this way i now run my ZP80 on fixed volume for better sound, less convenient but I'm sure i can hear more depth than i could when I tryed with the Leema in that configuration.

It is my intention to get some Harbeth's as soon as politically correct! But for now I'm looking at improved source, i.e. getting a modded Sonos Connect, Bluesound Node, or even a streamer like a CA Stream Magic V2.

If Matt49 wants to sell one of his onece Air Play works properly on the Devialet let me know!

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Thx for the update.

I agree that system balance (both in terms of SQ and voicing) is the key....without a quality Source, the system won't reach its potential. I think the Chord Hugo DAC (as well as the Sneaky DS) should be on your demo list.

Nice one. It does sound a bit of a faff, though. Yes, think source is important...

That doesn't tell the whole story. Cracking speakers will be critical IMO.

I know when I changed the from the Arcam CDP to Naim that gave a better balance, but the TB2is are the icing on the very juicy cake.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
plastic penguin said:

Yup, a good story has a great beginning, middle and end....Cracking speakers (check), need a great amp (check), to sound cracking....and the better they both are, the greater the need for a quality source.

Amen! *biggrin*

CnoEvil said:
plastic penguin said:

Yup, a good story has a great beginning, middle and end....Cracking speakers (check), need a great amp (check), to sound cracking....and the better they both are, the greater the need for a quality source.

Amen! *biggrin*

Tell me about it. I know you're not a huge fan of anything other than Class A and valve, but the Pulse is one hell of an amp anywhere near its RRP (£1250), as Mr B. is finding out.

Since I got the TB2is the sound is off the scale, hence why I have no intention to change, at least in the next 18-24 months.

Agree the Sugden is (or should be) better, but at a RRP of £2500 give or take it should be.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
I know you're not a huge fan of anything other than Class A and valve, but the Pulse is one hell of an amp anywhere near its RRP (£1250), as Mr B. is finding out.

Not strictly true as I have a lot of time for the likes of Electro, Ayre, Densen, Musical Fidelity, Arcam, Audio Analogue, Lavardin, Belles, Coda and even Linn (with certain speakers)....it's just that Class A / Valves is my preference.

CnoEvil said:
plastic penguin said:
I know you're not a huge fan of anything other than Class A and valve, but the Pulse is one hell of an amp anywhere near its RRP (£1250), as Mr B. is finding out.

Not strictly true as I have a lot of time for the likes of Electro, Ayre, Densen, Musical Fidelity, Arcam, Audio Analogue, Lavardin, Belles, Coda and even Linn (with certain speakers)....it's just that Class A / Valves is my preference.

I know. Perhaps that's where we differ -- I really don't have a preference. My take is any amp can sound great or sound absolutely pants without the right partners.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
CnoEvil said:
plastic penguin said:

I know. Perhaps that's where we differ -- I really don't have a preference. My take is any amp can sound great or sound absolutely pants without the right partners.

We don't differ on this....it's just some amps (or indeed speakers), (imo) take more careful matching than others.

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
As good as the Linn might sound it seems on first glance a little compromised. The issue I have with Streamers from traditional hifi companies are one of flexibility ie spotifiy conect etc, control apps on iOS, wifi. But a real issue may come in a few years when they are no longer supported with software upgrades. When the next best streaming service comes out will it be able to run it? Sonos has and will continue to do so, my 2006 ZP80 does everthing a Connect can do and still commands good prices on the used market.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
boggit said:
As good as the Linn might sound it seems on first glance a little compromised. The issue I have with Streamers from traditional hifi companies are one of flexibility ie spotifiy conect etc, control apps on iOS, wifi. But a real issue may come in a few years when they are no longer supported with software upgrades. When the next best streaming service comes out will it be able to run it? Sonos has and will continue to do so, my 2006 ZP80 does everthing a Connect can do and still commands good prices on the used market.

Linn is constantly improving and upgrading with firmware updates and works with most, if not all PDAs, iThingys and laptops....if you want to find out more, visit a Linn dealer or give Ripcaster a ring with your concerns.

Linn also commands good prices on the second hand market.

The proof of the pudding is in the tasting...it's the best source I've heard (in its price range), but I haven't listened to the new Chord Hugo, which is causing quite a stirr.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts