MOVING FROM SKY TO VIRGIN

3937edwards

Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
hi to eveyone after 12 years of being a sky customer i have decided to move to virgin media got a good deal itb tivo box extra v+ recordable in bedroom free instalation and top package including movies and sports and still working out nine pound a month cheaper then sky but i still keep having niggles and doubts if i am doing the right thing is there anyone on these forums who have changed from sky to virgin what in terms of picture quality sound quality etc is it any better worse then sky the free servicing of the boxes is a plus has anyone regretted it any comments would be appreciated to try to help me to finally make up my mind cheers :?

DandyCobalt

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
Virgin TiVo is excellent. Although Virgin service support ( the call centre side) can be frustrating, we've never regretted moving from Sky.

We got fed up with the sky boxes failing at 13 months, and then sky wanting to charge you a call-out, just so they could continue to take your money for the monthly subscription.

If the virgin box goes wrong, they'll fix or replace free of charge...as sky should.

3937edwards

Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
hi thanks for reply my sky bos in the bedroom packed up i rang sky and asked if they would give me a free box as i had been a loyal customer for 12 years and had paid them so much money over the years but they said no but we can get a service engineer oput which will cost £65 which i said is a joke but the irony is now i am leaving them they want to help so u would recommend virgin then after being a sky customer

sogophonio11

Jun 23, 2011
Visit site
Best thing i ever did! How you lasted twelve years though? Youre a saint :? Sound and picture quality vastly better than sky (Assuming the right supporting kit?) Well done you

DandyCobalt

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
We've got virgin phones and broadband too, plus my office is linked to my home throu their Centrex service. Their engineers have always been really good, when we've needed them.

Always next day service at the most. Sometimes same day.

sogophonio11

Jun 23, 2011
Visit site
There! :cheer: Have tivo in three rooms, broadband(50M) phones too. Simply brilliant. Had Sky from inception, late eighties. Three years ago, problems began! Stupid call centre told me i needed a new scart lead. Was using HDMI! :wall: Told them i Knew a bit about all of this, was sent an engineer.He replaced the box, lost all our recordings, gained someone elses! Process repeated over and over again :shame: Gave up and went to VM, never looked back. 8) Cant praise them enough. And as i have allready said, sound and picture quality is very very good. :star:

GSB

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
People have told me virgin is cheaper,just can't see how when it's mainly sky chanels i watch...films/sport/doc's/news?

sogophonio11

Jun 23, 2011
Visit site
Its not just about cost! I am more than happy to cough up a bit more each month, for this quality service and quality of sound/picture. Been with VM nearly two and a half years, more than acceptable cost base/ product supplied. All those years with Sky. Didnt give a toss when i experienced all those stupid problems! Yas get what yas pays for.

RobinKidderminster

May 27, 2009
Visit site
SQ&PQ? Which really is better?
My Sky support/experience has been fine. There will alwaus be some good & bad I guess with huge organisations.
Agreed u get what u pay for, to some extent, but how much extra does one pay for a service which usually just works?
I would love to see impartial reviews of these two main players. SQ, PQ, cost, support etc.
I would change from Sky if I got better sq & pq for the same money but I dont think I can.

sogophonio11

Jun 23, 2011
Visit site
WHF reviewed the Tivo. Long while ago now, look it up. The quantum leap in both PQ and SQ was quite significant, i know that because i have used both services! You will pay a bit more for VM. Individual choice at the end of the day. :wave:

RobinKidderminster

May 27, 2009
Visit site
Quantum leap? Your words I guess? The review says pq & sq excellent but not compared to Sky. Your experience and others is most significant but comparison must be with up to date Tivo and up to date Sky box. Compared with my first Sky box my current 1tb box is a quantum leap.
Come on WHF we want a new direct comparison

ukdavej

Oct 12, 2009
Visit site
I switched to Virgin years ago as my landline was (and still is) pants and couldn't support a decent broadband speed. However, I have read this thread with interest and am not sure where this Sky is cheaper is coming from. I'm not trying to be argumentative nor saying Virgin is better but I have just gone to Sky website and priced what I have with Virgin

1TB Tivo box

2nd V+ box in separate room

60mb broadband unlimited downloads but traffic managed once I go over 1.5gb between 10am and 10pm (I think). Even so, if throttled, it cuts to 15mb which is still OK for what I need

Phone with unlimited everyday calls

XL TV package (no films or sports)

Unlimited and free hardware support (makes a difference once you pass the magical 12 months period)

For this I pay £70.99 per month and I think I have done it right on the Sky site and it comes out at £76.25 (site says £66.25 but this includes 6 month half price on fibre broadband). Therefore, Sky seems to be more expensive.

One thing I would say though is that Sky Go could be the thing that makes the difference. Personally, I think it's brilliant and works really well. The Virgin Anywhere App works very well but if you're TV box is not connected to the same wireless network as your router (which mine isn't) it is quite restricted in what you can view

Customer Services is a separate argument I think. Fortunatly, mine has only ever gone wrong twice in 7 years so don't have to deal with them very much but when I have, they can be terrible or very good depending on which call centre picks up your call.

RobinKidderminster

May 27, 2009
Visit site
Hi ukdavej. I too have no desire for argument tho I appretiate that within a forum ones intention and 'tone' can be misunderstood. I changed to Sky years ago when Virgin were able only to offer a couple of hd channels and their rep had no idea about DD5.1
I am happy with Sky but when others suggest V may be better/cheaper then I show interest.
I guess the price differential is all down to package details. I am convinced my deal beats V although limited to 8mb BB. I only use one box which I think is a big price factor. My main interest was to confirm that V offered as many HD/DD5.1 channels at the same qualit inc., films & Sky1 HD.
I'll go do some more sums
Cheers

3937edwards

Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
thanks guys for all your replys i am definatly changing on the basis of your comments and a neighbour along my road who has just had virgin installed sky rang me today for some feedback why i was leaving and was surprized that they dident even try to rubbish virgin or try to offer me any deals although i have made my mind up to change maybe sky realize that virgin is a company just as good or maybe now better then sky i look forward to getting my tivo box etc installed i have read many reviews stating what a great bit of kit it is lets hope i wont be dissapointed :)

daveh75

I would wait till September to evaluate price comparisons between Sky and VM. Sky are supposedly putting TV package prices up By 10% this year (presumably to offset the price war with BT), which will of course have a knock on effect with VMs pricing.

As for claims of superior sound and picture quality between the two, that's pure bovine excrement. Likewise with b/band.

You need to look at more than just speed, like VMs aggressive throttling that's had them in trouble with the ASA again, or Sky's contention issues (at certain exchanges) due to them being over subscribed and their laxity in adding more 'pipes' for example...

3937edwards

Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
i was told by the virgin media guy that sky atlantic would be coming to virgin evidently when sky launced this channel the would have exclusive rights to it for 2 years after that it could go to other providers i.e virgin whether this is so i dont know but this is what i was told i will miss it as there was a couple of programmes i watch but staying with sky on the basis of losing one channel NO!NO!NO!

DandyCobalt

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
daveh75 said:
As for claims of superior sound and picture quality between the two, that's pure bovine excrement. Likewise with b/band.

Maximum I could get with Sky was 4MB max. through the phone line

Now I have 50MB consistently via Virgin.and they are increasing to 100MB in our area at no extra cost.

Not sure what you're comparing.

The TiVos also come with their own dedicated 10MB broadband supply, so does not have any impact on the domestic bb into the computer.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts