Mounting speaker upside down?

Supermies

Aug 5, 2022
Visit site
Might be a stupid question for you gurus, but can I mount the KEF LS50 upside down? I have the B—Tech BT77 wall mounts and the problem is that my Qed cables are so rigid that it forces the speaker too forward on the mount, so if I turn it upside down, I get several cm of direly needed extra space. Or should I switch the banana plugs to something else?

Last edited:

Supermies

Aug 5, 2022
Visit site
When I saw the thread title I was thinking best not.
Then I saw the model and thought why not?
If you have to (Most of us OCD types would do something about the cables I'm sure).

Yes, even if I switch the plugs, it eats a little more space (but I think the point of balance will be safely on top of the wall mount) and then I would have different end plugs on my Qed xt40i cables. Of course I could switch all of them to forked ones, buuut, this 350€ project has ballooned to about 2000€, and I would really like to see the end of it already and switch to enjoying 😅

Thank you for your input Gray!

Reactions: Gray

Supermies

Aug 5, 2022
Visit site
I accidentally deleted my first thread where I discussed my idea for a 3.1 system. But here it is, with speakers mounted upside down 😅 It would be better if the side speakers would be a little bit wider, but the space and wall structure set some challenges.

Supermies

Aug 5, 2022
Visit site
Have you got a leftover one as a spare then?
I thought I accidentally deleted this thread!
But I ordered one, but they accidentally shipped two, so I do, but I don’t 😅 Why? I’m shipping it back, because they wanted me to pay more for 1+1 in the same box than they sell a pair, figure that one out.

Supermies

Aug 5, 2022
Visit site
Can't say I like that layout......
Well, for me my life isn’t yet settled down to a ”end location”, so I’ll go with this for now, but as I don’t know where I’m living next year, I don’t know how my setup will look like then 😊 All I know is, Star Wars theme sounded pretty great!

Supermies

Aug 5, 2022
Visit site
What are u talking about? It not only looks fine but probably sounds great!
Thanks! I’m not very knowledgeable about this hifi stuff yet, but the third ls50 and the SVS SB-1000 did wonders for watching movies. Watched new Star Wars movie last night, and oh my god, couldn’t have hoped for a better result! I’ve had the pair for about 6 years, only bought the third and the sub this time around.

Supermies

Aug 5, 2022
Visit site
not to me I am afraid, I don't think those speakers will be showing their full potential, however each to their own
I had the pair on their individual stands, but to make room for the sub I had to mount them on the wall and as this is not a load bearing wall it was quite picky where you can mount them, next step wider and they would’ve been on constant collision course. I made sure the speakers are low enough so I can align the speakers towards the listening spot.
But of course I’m curious to learn more, so if you feel like it, please tell me how would you have mounted them, if you could mount them any way you like?

I had the pair on their individual stands, but to make room for the sub I had to mount them on the wall and as this is not a load bearing wall it was quite picky where you can mount them, next step wider and they would’ve been on constant collision course. I made sure the speakers are low enough so I can align the speakers towards the listening spot.
But of course I’m curious to learn more, so if you feel like it, please tell me how would you have mounted them, if you could mount them any way you like?
If that's the way they have to be then that's it.
Not knowing exactly what issues you faced I would have said you should have left them on those stands and shoved the subwoofer somewhere else as, unlike those speakers, the position of the sub is not critical.
I would also have said they are too high, too close together, and I would have used a dedicated centre speaker to do that job.

Last edited:

Gray

I would have said you should have left them in those stands and shoved the subwoofer somewhere else.
Those would be my questions:
1) Could the sub go somewhere else?
2) If it could, would you be able to use the stands?
Presumably the side walls are only just out of your photo....so the stands would be (too) close to side walls?
...might still be better than where they are though.
I wouldn't settle for anything less than the main pair being either side of the TV, at ear level.

Reactions: Al ears

Supermies

Aug 5, 2022
Visit site
If that's the way they have to be then that's it.
Not knowing exactly what issues you faced I would have said you should have left them in those stands and shoved the subwoofer somewhere else.
I would also have said they are too high, too close together, and I would have used a dedicated centre speaker to do that job.
You’re the first one to say I should’ve used a dedicated center speaker! Everyone everywhere rails on you if you use everything else than the already existing model 😂 But, I actually almost did, but my local shop couldn’t deliver the KEF R2C so I went with this. And of course the price was an issue as well, 350€ isn’t much for a center speaker, so budget wise I think I did okay as I spent about 1200€ on the sub and the ls50.

Of course there’s always the optimal setup if there is no issues with space or money, plus the possible issues of personal preference, but for now, I’m happy with the results. Thanks for your input anyways! Maybe at some point I’ll find a better place for the sub and try with the stands, or that could be the next setup in my next apartment.

Supermies

Aug 5, 2022
Visit site
Those would be my questions:
1) Could the sub go somewhere else?
2) If it could, would you be able to use the stands?
Presumably the side walls are only just out of your photo....so the stands would be (too) close to side walls?
...might still be better than where they are though.
I wouldn't settle for anything less than the main pair being either side of the TV, at ear level.

1. I might find a place for it next to my sofa. I did buy a cable long enough to take it there. But would it affect music listening if the bass comes from a different direction entirely?
2. Then I could go back to the stands, yes. I can’t use any more floor space than in the picture, or even on the wall if it’s under 1,50meters. I’m a wheelchair user, so I need more space to move around than my two legged counterparts. I plan to move to a bigger apartment before next summer, so if nothing else, these are good ideas for the next space.

Supermies

Aug 5, 2022
Visit site
No, as Al pointed out, sound from the sub is not directional - so you get better positioning flexibility.
It would be great if you could use the stands.
Ah, I some how missed it from Al’s comment, but yeah, I wasn’t sure of that so it’s definitely something I will at least try then. And also I fear the single speaker on top of the tv looks weird, but maybe I’ll hang my ice hockey goalie masks to accompany it 😅

I’m luckily old enough so I don’t take this feedback as a personal attack, more as a learning experience from more knowledgeable hifi heads.

Reactions: WayneKerr and Gray

Supermies

Aug 5, 2022
Visit site
No attacks, don't worry about that 👍
You've got some great speakers - and we want you to hear them with minimal compromise.
Yeah, I know, but I also know some people are unable to take any advice as anything other than an insult 😅

I do love the speakers and couldn’t believe it when I saw that you can get them for 600€ a pair now! Especially since I got the sub added. I didn’t even notice it when I first started listening music with it, but I definitely noticed when I turned it off. Amazing how flawlessly it fit in with the ls50s!

And to add, I did try to listen from different heights yesterday, and from sitting position to maybe 50-100cm up I couldn’t notice any difference, but when I was laying down I fell out of the ”insert some fancy hifi word here” (outside of the listening position).

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts