Mordaunt Short Alumni v. Q Acoustics 1010i, Denon DVD 1940 v. Pana DMP-BD30 blu ray?

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
Anyone able to help with these decisions.

Mordaunt Short Alumni 5.1 or Q Acoustic 1010i 5.1 for sound quality for movie/concerts playback?

Denon DVD 1940 or Pana DMP-BD30 blu ray for DVD playback quality?

I'm a bit new to all this, but have recently purchased a Panasonic TH-42PX80 and how need to update my old Sherwood AV amp (RD-6103R- yes I know, but I was on tight budget at the time!!!) and budget Yamaha 5.1 (220 I think) speaker package. I will be purchasing the onkyo 606 amp (will upgrade to blu-ray one day, no doubt) and Denon DVD 1940 to accompany the speaker packages selected.

Reason for going for Denon rather than a blu ray (Pana 30), is that I have heard that the blu ray machine does not make a good upscaler. Is that correct? I have a large dvd collection, so what to get the best out of them.

Any help would be useful........

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Pistol Pete1"]
Anyone able to help with these decisions.

Mordaunt Short Alumni 5.1 or Q Acoustic 1010i 5.1 for sound quality for movie/concerts playback?

Denon DVD 1940 or Pana DMP-BD30 blu ray for DVD playback quality?

I'm a bit new to all this, but have recently purchased a Panasonic TH-42PX80 and how need to update my old Sherwood AV amp (RD-6103R- yes I know, but I was on tight budget at the time!!!) and budget Yamaha 5.1 (220 I think) speaker package. I will be purchasing the onkyo 606 amp (will upgrade to blu-ray one day, no doubt) and Denon DVD 1940 to accompany the speaker packages selected.

Reason for going for Denon rather than a blu ray (Pana 30), is that I have heard that the blu ray machine does not make a good upscaler. Is that correct? I have a large dvd collection, so what to get the best out of them.

Any help would be useful........
[/quote] I can only comment on how good the 1940 is. I don't know whether you have a mixture of region dvds but the Panasonic (I think) is not multi regional. I've seen some crazy prices for the 1940 recently (£150ish), definitely give it a go.

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
Well I went for it today and bought the Q Acoustics 1010i and Onkyo 606 amp. A bargain at £769 delivered!!!

As for the dvd player, well i did forget to mention I had a lot of dvd's from the USA (from university days) and that a multi regional one was a 'must'.

I have found one pana BD30 described as multi regional but have not called shop up to confirm this. Will probably go for denon 1940, as I borrowed my friends 1930 and was very impressed with the picture quality from it on my new tv.

Thanks for your advise.....

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts