Mordaunt-Short 902i vs. Monitor Audio BR2

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
We tested them both in a £150-£200 stereo speakers Group Test in our December 2006 issue.

Both gained five-stars, but the Monitor Audio BR2s won the test - and more than justified their £50 premium over the Mordaunt-Shorts - for offering more refinement and all-round ability than the MS speakers.

Having said that, if you're after a more 'party animal' pair of speakers, give the 902i speakers a whirl - they are a barnstorming listen, and you may prefer them to the BR2s' more polite tones.

matthewpiano

Hi there. I own both sets of speakers (although my MAs are the original B2s) and have done quite a bit of comparison between the two. Both are incredibly capable speakers for the money and the choice is very much down to your own personal preferences and the equipment you are using.

The 902is are very exciting speakers to listen to, with razor sharp rhythmic abilities and great drive. They can occasionally sound a bit shrill at the top end and are not necessarily always accurate tonally, but they are brilliant at what they do.

The MAs focus much more on tonal qualities, sounding much warmer but with perhaps not quite the same pace (though they are by no means slow sounding). I'd say that, overall, they are slightly better balanced than the MS 902is and worth the extra £50 but it is very much down to individual preference. Both products are very well built, with the MAs having a slight edge in terms of finish.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the quick replies. I personally own a set of MS speakers which I absolutely love. My cousin feels they're a tad forward in the upper range which is why I was thinking MA might do the trick. I personally prefer the instruments to be a tad forward as I've heard many speakers where the vocals drown out the instruments. How would the MA and MS compare in this regard?

matthewpiano

I'd say this is where the MAs really excel. The Mordaunt-Shorts are fine here, but singers do tend to drift a bit in the soundstage whereas they are more firmly fixed by the MAs. The MAs benefit from very excellent integration from top to bottom and this helps vocals to sound balanced with the instruments behind them. Obviously, there are limitations at this price point and they don't do it quite like the Quad 11Ls (which I didn't like in many other respects), but the MAs are very fine speakers for vocal music.

A

Anonymous

Thanks again for the reply. You do have to admit that the MS are the better-looking speaker with the grills off
emotion-1.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts