Monitor SIlver 8 and Silver RX8 ... Very confused

xlider

May 3, 2013
Visit site
Hi,

I tested a monitor Sliver system, which I touhgt to be RX8... When leaving, the dealer gave me the RX line brochure, telling me this was an old brochure, but that the speaker I heard was new from this year...

Coming back home, I surfed a bit on the net and found on some sites that Silver 8 has been redesigned, and that RX8 will disapear... Silver 8 is also priced higher and has only reviews from 2013.

Can anyone confirm that Silver 8 is indeed newer and higher quality than RX8 and that the RX series will disapear?

Thanks

macdiddy

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
Hi xlider

Both ranges are still listed as current on the official Monitor Audio website so who knows, maybe the Silver RX range will be phased out in time.

The Silver range is the newest and is different to the RX in that they have added a third floorstanding speaker to the range.

hope this helps end your confusion.

:bounce:

xlider

May 3, 2013
Visit site
Thanks a lot!

I will call my dealer tomorrow to check if I heard the Silver 8 or RX8... (compared to 6 or RX6)

When comparing the 6 and 8, I could not hear a big difference on the Marantz PM6005, but the bass difference was very big on a TEAC AI 501...

xlider said:
Thanks a lot!

I will call my dealer tomorrow to check if I heard the Silver 8 or RX8... (compared to 6 or RX6)

When comparing the 6 and 8, I could not hear a big difference on the Marantz PM6005, but the bass difference was very big on a TEAC AI 501...

You probably wouldn't of heard a huge difference on a budget amp. I've said many times the Silver range (RS, RX...) need darn good amplification to hear them at their best - in the region of £1000 integrated upwards.

Personally I've always rated the 6 over the 8 - a better all-rounder IMHO, although if you're a bass head you'll probably gravitate more towards the 8.

Hope that helps.

xlider

May 3, 2013
Visit site
I guess I will go for another listening session. I checked pictures and offered prices and am 95pc convinced that I did listen to the Silver 6 and 8, and not the RX. (the lat 5pc account for a temporary blindness combined with the dealer trying to rip me off, which I would have troubles to believe...).i will relisten to 6 and 8 and see the difference with a higher range amplifier. All other floorstanders I listened to (Mission, BW and others) did not convince me... I really like the TEAC based on the number of digital inputs and the very clear sound. It sounded a big step up from the PM6005 (even if I had never heard of TEAC before).

If I go with that amplifier and the silver 8, I will be maxing out my budget...

xlider said:
I guess I will go for another listening session. I checked pictures and offered prices and am 95pc convinced that I did listen to the Silver 6 and 8, and not the RX. (the lat 5pc account for a temporary blindness combined with the dealer trying to rip me off, which I would have troubles to believe...).i will relisten to 6 and 8 and see the difference with a higher range amplifier. All other floorstanders I listened to (Mission, BW and others) did not convince me... I really like the TEAC based on the number of digital inputs and the very clear sound. It sounded a big step up from the PM6005 (even if I had never heard of TEAC before).

If I go with that amplifier and the silver 8, I will be maxing out my budget...

What is your max budget?

xlider

May 3, 2013
Visit site
Hi,

unfortunately, 2000£ was all included. I decided to follow my feeling and to go for the TEAC AI501-DA and with the silver 8. It sounded pretty good together, was in the budget and was the best I heard there. Will see over time if my ears and gut deceive or not...

thanks a lot for your precious help!

pantonius

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site
I heard last week the new Silver 6 and Silver 8 from Monitor Audio. Wooow, what a difference . New Silver 8 is really really great speaker for the money. The sistem was from Audiolab 8200 CD + A.

Esra

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
They also have great synergy with tube and hybrid amps like Unison simply Italy , Pathos Inpol Remix and Peachtee for e.x..I liked Kandy2 and Arcam A38 too (imo the A19 is not sufficient though it sounds nice on low levels).Don´t need too much power (doesn´t hurt anyway) but good and stable current,they are quite sensitive and like to be paired with amps on the darker,warmer side, the RX line more than the new Silver line.

pantonius

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site
Esra said:
They also have great synergy with tube and hybrid amps like Unison simply Italy , Pathos Inpol Remix and Peachtee for e.x..I liked Kandy2 and Arcam A38 too (imo the A19 is not sufficient though it sounds nice on low levels).Don´t need too much power (doesn´t hurt anyway) but good and stable current,they are quite sensitive and like to be paired with amps on the darker,warmer side, the RX line more than the new Silver line.

Hi Esra,

did you heard the new Silver 8 speaker with Kandy 2 amp ?

Is it matching well with new Silver or you mean ex Rx series ?

Thanx.

Esra

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
did you demo it?You should do before buying anything and also compare with other systems in budget.Anyway it is a big step up from your BX2 although these are also very good at their price,I have a pair of these too :) .The Kandy with the Silvers will def. sound very different to your actual system not only in regards of sound quality.

pantonius

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site
Esra said:
did you demo it?You should do before buying anything and also compare with other systems in budget.Anyway it is a big step up from your BX2 although these are also very good at their price,I have a pair of these too :) .The Kandy with the Silvers will def. sound very different to your actual system not only in regards of sound quality.

No, I did not demo it. Just Silver 8 with Audiolab 8200 combo and it sounds really fantastic. Comparing the sound to my actual system it was 3 class above. I am not so sure about K2 BT as I read here on the forum that K2 BT sounds not so clear ? At the moment it's complicated for me to demo K2 with Silver 8

Esra

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
Hmm I didn´t liked the 8200CD+ 8200A with the RX6 at all and sold the 8200A which was the right decision for me because I compared a lot of other amps after that with the RX6 which all had a better synergy than the 8200A ,even a lot cheapier NAD 316Bee.But well thats me.

20140524_182649.jpg

pantonius

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site
Esra said:
Hmm I didn´t liked the 8200CD+ 8200A with the RX6 at all and sold the 8200A which was the right decision for me because I compared a lot of other amps after that with the RX6 which all had a better synergy than the 8200A ,even a lot cheapier NAD 316Bee.But well thats me.

Really beautiful system, I think I am going in that way also
regular_smile.gif
(my taste for the furniture and color of the floor is quite the same ; I am sorry but I don't know how to post the photo here from my flat
sad_smile.gif
).

Just another advice : I see that you have 8200cd ; I don't know if I'll take some CDP like transport + M-Dac or just 8200cd. What is your experience ?

Esra

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
Well that depends mainly on how much you would need a CDP and if you need a preamp.BTW I have the 8200CDQ as M-Dac wasn´t available at that time which had been my choice.If you are streaming only I would go for the Mdac instead of the CDP,as you get also a Pre with the M-DAC and with M-DAC you can do updates yourself but on the other hand with the CDQ you have CD,PRE and better power supplie but have to bring in to service if you want/need latest updates just like the 8200CD.To sum up I would prefer M-Dac or the CDQ depending if you like to play CD´s .Soundwise there is no real life difference imo.

cannibal_ox77

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
Also worth considering the Marantz PM8005 or Pearl Lite (good one on ebay currently) with the Silver speakers. I found the Pearl Lite to have excellent synergy with the older RS6's. My source is Audiolab 8200CDQ with the Marantz used in power amp mode

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts