Monitor Audio Speakers

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Probably looking to purchase some Monitor Audios floorstanding speakers at some point soon and have been searching the net my question is which model should i go for?

I have about £750 and from what i can see my options are:-

1. Brand New RX6 £700 (Piano Black £800)

2. Brand New RX8 £850 (Piano Black £950)

3. Second Hand GR20 in Piano Black £700

Any comments would be most welcome

Andy

d4v3pum4

Nov 15, 2008
Visit site
What amp/receiver are you using? What is the size of the room? Is this for 2.0, 5.1, 7.1? Are you planning on using the setup for movies and music? I'm sure someone with experience of hearing them will be able to chime in but when I demo'd MA RS a while back, I was very impressed with the RS6. My room would not justify the RS8.

A

Anonymous

id go with the 8's or the gr20's. I am very sure you will get someone with monitor speakers to advise yo soon on here

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
The GR20's, as good as they were in their day, are going back a bit now. The RX series now incorporates technology that has filtered down from the GR and the GS ranges, so they should be in a very good position to challenge the GR's as far as quality is concerned. Also, they're quite tonally different. The RX are quite laid back and on the smoother side, whereas the GR are leaner, more mid/HF orientated. One of these mgith suit you better than the other, but do try and audition if you can.

masonica

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
While we're on this subject anyone know if the Rx8's will be good as rears as I have a pair of Gold 60's that I use as fronts. Also looking for an AV amp that'd compliment this type of set-up.

andytucker:

Probably looking to purchase some Monitor Audios floorstanding speakers at some point soon and have been searching the net my question is which model should i go for?

I have about £750 and from what i can see my options are:-

1. Brand New RX6 £700 (Piano Black £800)

2. Brand New RX8 £850 (Piano Black £950)

3. Second Hand GR20 in Piano Black £700

Any comments would be most welcome

Andy

Hi Andy

I would recommend the GR20's. At this price they are a no brainer.
emotion-1.gif

Btw, what other components do you use?

Thanks

Rick @ Musicraft

masonica

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
My older set-up had Acoustic Energy AE 120's as the rears suppose I'll have to audition the Rx8's the G20's are a bit too pricey as was going to upgrade older amp and use it for my game consoles (moving house and have a game room) so Main room was going to be a G60 and Rx8 combo and game room Rx8 and AE 120 affair. If you're not mad on that set-up any alternates?

A

Anonymous

Any particular reason you are set on the Monitor Audios? I saw recently that they now have the best buy award from the Tannoy Revolution Signature range in WHF, but that's due to the sub I think. I'd still recommend checking out the DC4T or DC6T - I've been very impressed with my DC6T's; they sound great and look much the better speaker visually in my opinion. Just avoid Tannoy's sub if it's going into a 5.1.

masonica

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
In my case having had the Gold 60's for a few years and loving the presence and detail not too mention the really good build. Those would be why I'd like to stick with the Monitor Audio's. Will check out the Tannoy's but don't seem to have the quality you feel you get with the MA's. Think WHF loved the the RX series too.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts