Monitor Audio RX8 - B&W CM9 - KEF R700 - FOCAL836v - TANNOY DC6T SE

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
L00k_C said:
I am in the process of buying a pair of speakers from the above speaker list...

I would appreciate everyone's opinion..Do some of them stand above others??? Are they all considered mid-range speakers (price & quality wise)??

Room 3mWx4mLx3mH

Mainly rock, pop, modern, acoustic sounds and some classical ones.. I like a bit of extra bass

Thanks

Hi L00k_C

What source component/s, amplification and cabling will you be using please?

Room positioning of the new speakers (distance to walls & corners )?

Is the room lightly or heavily furnished?

In the meantime i feel that you should also consider ATC's SCM40 monitors.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

L00k_C

Dec 12, 2012
Visit site
MUSICRAFT said:
L00k_C said:

I would appreciate everyone's opinion..Do some of them stand above others??? Are they all considered mid-range speakers (price & quality wise)??

Room 3mWx4mLx3mH

Mainly rock, pop, modern, acoustic sounds and some classical ones.. I like a bit of extra bass

Thanks

Hi L00k_C

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

I am starting my hifi just now so anything goes.........

My room is not heavily furnitured a couple of bookshelves and two sofas and a study......has a window and glass twin door to patio 3.5meters by 4meters.

I like floorstanders cause I like to hear the beat, the bass to eliviate me most of the times.....However I like to listen to the highs as well..

L00k_C said:
MUSICRAFT said:
L00k_C said:

Room 3mWx4mLx3mH

Thanks

Hi L00k_C

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

I am starting my hifi just now so anything goes.........

My room is not heavily furnitured a couple of bookshelves and two sofas and a study......has a window and glass twin door to patio 3.5meters by 4meters.

I like floorstanders cause I like to hear the beat, the bass to eliviate me most of the times.....However I like to listen to the highs as well..

Hi L00k_C

Thanks for your reply.

As with the speakers have you seen or heard any source components and amplifiers that have interested you so far?

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

L00k_C

Dec 12, 2012
Visit site
Again I have not tested much... I have heard creek 5350 wil KEF ls50 and it was a very nice combination.....

From my point of view I would like to built a hifi (and later HT) system starting from the speakers... That is where I put my main target/importance... After I find the speakers I can again shop around listening/reading about the different 'possible' amp combinations....

I am really very impressed with KEF 700 from the above list cause I am tending to like the 'd'appolito' concept.... However I would have liked a bit more bass... ie R900 but then again the price goes much much higher and since I will need a GOOD amp (integrated most likely) then I must 'reorganise/compromise' my list and needs I guess..

I am leaning into buing KEF R700 and look into amps like ARCAM, Creek ..... and any other suggestions you might have.... :p

gingerburn

Feb 19, 2009
Visit site
A few months back I compared the Monitor Audios and the Focals, driven by an Exposure CD/Amp combination and the Focal was the hands-down winner. The Monitor Audios had a tiny bit more wallop in the bass, but this seemed to come at the price of a lifeless treble. On a good classical recording of Magdalena Kozena singing Mozart the MAs came across as dull and stilted, whereas the Focals brought her voice to life quite beautifully. I wouldn't characterise the treble as 'bright.' I ended up buying Focal 714Vs as the 836 would simply have been too large for my room, but they were lovely speakers.

L00k_C

Dec 12, 2012
Visit site
gingerburn said:
A few months back I compared the Monitor Audios and the Focals, driven by an Exposure CD/Amp combination and the Focal was the hands-down winner. The Monitor Audios had a tiny bit more wallop in the bass, but this seemed to come at the price of a lifeless treble. On a good classical recording of Magdalena Kozena singing Mozart the MAs came across as dull and stilted, whereas the Focals brought her voice to life quite beautifully. I wouldn't characterise the treble as 'bright.' I ended up buying Focal 714Vs as the 836 would simply have been too large for my room, but they were lovely speakers.

Thanks

L00k_C

Dec 12, 2012
Visit site
L00k_C said:
gingerburn said:

Thanks

megatombomb

Jan 20, 2013
Visit site
Re Rick @ Musicraft suggesting the ATC scm40's....

I myself have been very tempted by these speakers but am concerned by the speakers requirements for power/current and expect they need a dedicated 2 channel power amp/two mono's to make them sing. I am about to pull the trigger on a Cambridge Audio 851A integrated amp that manages 2x120wpc into 8ohms and the amp has two dedicated power supplies (one for each channel). The question is do you think this amp would work well enough to make the ATC's sing or if its even worthy of powering such speakers? I am of course considering a demo of the ATC's too!

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
L00k_C said:
I am really very impressed with KEF 700 from the above list cause I am tending to like the 'd'appolito' concept.... However I would have liked a bit more bass...

I too like the d'Appolito arrangement ever since hearing it on the Reference 104/2 back in about 1990. You could say this was a precursor to KEF's UniQ design as it was aimed at producing a similar sort of effect - a single point source from multiple drivers. The UniQ solved many of this issues of the d'Appolito array.

That aside, I haven't heard anyone yet say that they felt the R700's lack bass. There are various aspects that have been addressed with the R series to allow the speaker to produce much less distortion than normal and very little coloration, so maybe the bass you are hearing from them is much cleaner than you're used to? Or possibly that the amp you tried them with was a little lean sounding? Or maybe they were auditioned with the bungs in? This can reduce the bass by up to 6dB, which is a fairly drastic reduction.

L00k_C

Dec 12, 2012
Visit site
FrankHarveyHiFi said:
L00k_C said:
I am really very impressed with KEF 700 from the above list cause I am tending to like the 'd'appolito' concept.... However I would have liked a bit more bass...

I too like the d'Appolito arrangement ever since hearing it on the Reference 104/2 back in about 1990. You could say this was a precursor to KEF's UniQ design as it was aimed at producing a similar sort of effect - a single point source from multiple drivers. The UniQ solved many of this issues of the d'Appolito array.

That aside, I haven't heard anyone yet say that they felt the R700's lack bass. There are various aspects that have been addressed with the R series to allow the speaker to produce much less distortion than normal and very little coloration, so maybe the bass you are hearing from them is much cleaner than you're used to? Or possibly that the amp you tried them with was a little lean sounding? Or maybe they were auditioned with the bungs in? This can reduce the bass by up to 6dB, which is a fairly drastic reduction.

I should have said 'lack' bass rather that I wanted more.... is that better..... :grin: :grin:

Ofcourse you might be right in saying that I might be used with a worse kind of 'bass; and the comparison might be unfair to R700

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts