Yamaha AS500 Tannoy DC6TSE - help needed

parimalkumar

Sep 26, 2010
Visit site
Hi all,

It's been a while since I have posted and I need some advice. I have a Marantz CD6005 hooked up to Yamaha AS 500 that drive a pair of Tannoy DC6T SEs. I have the speakers about 35 cm away from the bay window wall to give them room to breathe. However, I am getting a lot of bass and decent treble but the mid-range feels really muted. I have tried fiddling with the bass, treble and loudness knobs and none of the obvious combinations appear to help. Also in "source direct" mode, there's very little turning of the volume knob required before we are at volume levels that are too loud for every day listening. Is there a way to modulate the volume knob so that I get a bit more control?

I have a feeling that it's the Yamaha amplifier to blame here and it just doesn't suit my tastes. I have been eyeing up the Marantz PM6005 as it's decent value at the moment. However, I would like this opportunity to build up a decent hifi system and move up a rung or two.

Mrs K and I tend to listen to a lot fo classical music (Bach, Mozart, Beethoven onwards), I listen to fair amount of popular jazz followed up with rock, pop and occassional dance. Mid range is vitally important, but bass can't be thin.

Any thoughts or suggestions around amplifiers that would work well the Tannoy DC6TSEs around the £300-£700 mark would be greatfully appreciated. I don't have a massive ripped collection but we do listen to Spotify using spotify connect on a Fire TV box, hooked up to a cheap DAC connected to the amp.

My initial thoughts range from (in no particular order) Yamaha RN402D, Onkyo TX 8150, Arcam A19, Marantz PM6005, Marantz PM8005, Cyrus One.

Thanks in advance.

PK

parimalkumar said:
Hi all,

It's been a while since I have posted and I need some advice. I have a Marantz CD6005 hooked up to Yamaha AS 500 that drive a pair of Tannoy DC6T SEs. I have the speakers about 35 cm away from the bay window wall to give them room to breathe. However, I am getting a lot of bass and decent treble but the mid-range feels really muted. I have tried fiddling with the bass, treble and loudness knobs and none of the obvious combinations appear to help. Also in "source direct" mode, there's very little turning of the volume knob required before we are at volume levels that are too loud for every day listening. Is there a way to modulate the volume knob so that I get a bit more control?

I have a feeling that it's the Yamaha amplifier to blame here and it just doesn't suit my tastes. I have been eyeing up the Marantz PM6005 as it's decent value at the moment. However, I would like this opportunity to build up a decent hifi system and move up a rung or two.

Mrs K and I tend to listen to a lot fo classical music (Bach, Mozart, Beethoven onwards), I listen to fair amount of popular jazz followed up with rock, pop and occassional dance. Mid range is vitally important, but bass can't be thin.

Any thoughts or suggestions around amplifiers that would work well the Tannoy DC6TSEs around the £300-£700 mark would be greatfully appreciated. I don't have a massive ripped collection but we do listen to Spotify using spotify connect on a Fire TV box, hooked up to a cheap DAC connected to the amp.

My initial thoughts range from (in no particular order) Yamaha RN402D, Onkyo TX 8150, Arcam A19, Marantz PM6005, Marantz PM8005, Cyrus One.

Thanks in advance.

PK

Possibly available ex-demo or second-hand I would add Creek Evolution 50A to your list.

AntAxon

Jan 9, 2015
Visit site
Superfi have the Marantz PM 8005 for £559 which is a really good price for a great amplifier. It has a mid range, bass and treble adjustment too. I can highly recommend it.

radiorog

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
You can buy the Abrahamsen v2up now for £750. This amp is genuinely uo there with £2000 amps and as far as most people on this forum believe,you wont be able to get an amp anywhere near as good at this price point. They are not in the shops though,so you would have to buy without an audition,or travel to listen to one.

A roksan k2bt might be woth a listen.

is

matthewpiano

The Yamaha's big failing is it's volume control, with a big jump somewhere between the 8 and 9 o'clock positions that leaves no possibility for fine adjustment. Below the jump everything sounds as you describe. Above the jump it's considerably better, but can be too loud for some recordings and some occasions. Setting the volume above the jump and then using the variable loudness to trim the volume down gets round this problem, but you have to come out of direct mode for that.

Of the amplifiers you list, I'd suggest the Arcam A19. I've heard it with the Tannoys, and it works very well. Arcam's volume control is very well graduated as well, giving you much finer levels of adjustment.

parimalkumar

Sep 26, 2010
Visit site
Thank you all for your suggestions. I am glad it's not just me who has this issue with Yamaha amps and volume control being not very user friendly!

At the moment, it's looking like between Arcam A19 and Marantz PM8005. Decisions, decisions...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts