ProAc D18 v Kef R700 v Monitor Audio Silver 8 v Tannoy XT8F

Prolle

Aug 8, 2015
Visit site
Hi all

I'm highly interested in the subject speakers. I had a demo of the the Tannoy XT8F and the Kef R500 ( no 700) and found the bass better on the Tannoy for most tracks until the more complex heavier rock tracks where the Kef won out. I haven't demo the ProAc D18 but recall hearing them in a showroom a couple years back and liking the sound at the time. I'd just like to get your impressions on there speakers. In listen to rock pop dance and acoustic. I will also get a new amp but want to nail the speakers first. I think the premium finishes on the ProAc look great, so they have the edge in that regard ( important for the wife) but I'd like to know what you think of their sound?

Edit: how would the Tannoy Precision 6.2 or 6.4 compare to the XT8F ?

Thanks all

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
IME. The speaker you end up with often depends on the amp you are going to pair it with. Eg. Proac imo works best with Valves/Class A and the Kefs like clean, neutral amplification that can exert decent control over them.

Prolle

Aug 8, 2015
Visit site
Thanks, so any views on these speakers, as I believe that the speakers have the biggest influence on the sound of the system, by far

Paulq

Dec 2, 2007
Visit site
Prolle said:
Thanks, so any views on these speakers, as I believe that the speakers have the biggest influence on the sound of the system, by far

CNo is right - the speakers can sound different with different sources. Some work well together, some don't. If you take a look at my recent topic on here: http://www.whathifi.com/forum/hi-fi/linn-majik-dsm-speakers you'll see that the pairing of components is very much dependent on what YOU hear - speakers are only one part of it.

Just to answer your question in part I have just bought a set of Monitor Audio Silver 8's and, in the demos at least, feel that they pair well with Linn equipment. Others may disagree and that's the point - there's no tuning manual for ears!

Good luck with your search.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Prolle said:
.....and the amp has the biggest influence on how well those speakers will sound.

Prolle

Aug 8, 2015
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Prolle said:
.....and the amp has the biggest influence on how well those speakers will sound.

I gotta start somewhere. So, as I like the appearance of the ProAcs the most, which amp paid well with them?

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Sugden is a good place to start (A21 or Masterclass)

You might also look at Pathos, Unison Research and Icon Audio, as well as Arcam A39 and Electrocompaniet ECI-3 or 5.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Prolle said:
Any views on the speakers? 
If you are talking about the D18s, then I would say that they will give an enjoyable musical experience, if matched with the right amp. Match them wrongly and the treble can be a bit hot for some tastes.

Prolle

Aug 8, 2015
Visit site
Thanks. The other speaker that is cropping up everywhere is the Sonus Faber Venere 2.5, how would this compare to the D18 and the R700?

CnoEvil said:
I haven't heard the Veneres, though I believe that they are a more modern take on the traditional SF sound, so not as "glorious" sounding and thus a little more neutral.

You have a great shortlist, so now iit's time to listen.

Where are you based?

Quite agree, you have to go and listen if spending this much on speakers. Forget, partially, amplifier matching as the speakers have to work well in your room. If they don't it doesn't really matter what amp is driving them. Sort out a speaker that can be used within the space you can give it and then worry about partnering amp.

The SF's are pretty easily matched and would also suggest Spendor A6R or PMC twenty 23's.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
I haven't heard the Veneres, though I believe that they are a more modern take on the traditional SF sound, so not as "glorious" sounding and thus a little more neutral.

You have a great shortlist, so now it's time to listen.

Where are you based?

Prolle

Aug 8, 2015
Visit site
Thanks guys. I'm in Dublin so my options are very limited. Seen as these speakers will be put in a family environment, they have 2 additional criteria

1. Need to look good ( the ProAc premium finishes have the edge here)

2. Need to be as childproof as possible. ( difficult I know, but if they are a heavy and difficult to topple, along with keeping the drivers protected, that's a big plus)

These two factors and my musical taste ( rock, dance, even some metal) I think would give the edge to the ProAcs

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
You have an excellent dealer there- Cloney Audio.

If you come up North, where I live, there is Lyric, Kronos, Moores and Ardowhen.....if I can assist, just ask, as I know the first two dealers very well.

MickyBlue

Oct 24, 2013
Visit site
Try the R500's and some PMC speakers aswell, personally i found the R500's to be the sweet spot in the line up, much better than the 700's imo

Prolle

Aug 8, 2015
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
You have an excellent dealer there- Cloney Audio.

If you come up North, where I live, there is Lyric, Kronos, Moores and Ardowhen.....if I can assist, just ask, as I know the first two dealers very well.

Thanks, appreciate that offer. I will need to book a day off of work if I can, wouldn't be telling the wife either.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts