Monitor Audio RS8 but which amplifier please

mattjax05

Oct 5, 2007
Visit site
Hi all.

It's likely I'll be upgrading my Monitor Audio BR5s which have served me well for over 4 years, with Monitor Audio RS8s.

I currently have a Cambridge Audion 540a(v2) driving the BR5s but to get the most out of the RS8s that'll need upgrading too.

Basically my source is FLAC files to Squeezebox Receiver to Beresford TC-7510 DAC.

I have done some research on here and the general consensus for my budget of under £400 is Creek Evo, Acram A85, Nad C352. As you can tell I'll be buying secondhand.

My preferred genre is hiphop/rnb but I do listen to a bit of dance/pop.

This is my first upgrade and I'm looking forward to experiencing the benefits but would like assistance in choosing the right amplifier for my budget.

Thanks.

A

Anonymous

IMO and with your taste in music you'll not go far wrong with either the NAD C352 or C355BEE integrated amps. The Arcam Alpha 10 would be a good amp to consider as well.

You could sell the C/A amp you've got and add that to your budget and then possible consider a 2nd hand Arcam FMJ A32 or a Leema Pulse also

Personally I'd be favouring the NAD amps; having a very similar taste in music and having owned the M/A RS & RX 6 speakers; NAD and M/A go VERY well together

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Personally, I'd recommend the RS6 over the RS8 - the 6's always seemed a little more balanced to me.

I'd agree with the Arcam recommendation. Tonally, they'll be the best match, but do bear in mind that Arcam has changed over the years. The old Alpha stuff is much smoother and warmer than the current FMJ stuff, and while it may tame the RS8's top end, you may find the Alpha products to be a little too 'loose' for the RS's. I would say either the Alpha 10 (much tighter than it's little brothers), as already stated, or the FMJ amplification would be the better bet.

I agree the RS6 are a better all-rounder. Also they do need taming at both ends of the frequency range, that's why I personally wouldn't recommend Nad amps - fraternise too readily with bass.

They really need an amp that champions control: Arcam A85, A32, A38 or Creek but best of all my set-up: RS6s and Leema Pulse MKII

mattjax05 said:
Hi all. It's likely I'll be upgrading my Monitor Audio BR5s which have served me well for over 4 years, with Monitor Audio RS8s. I currently have a Cambridge Audion 540a(v2) driving the BR5s but to get the most out of the RS8s that'll need upgrading too. Basically my source is FLAC files to Squeezebox Receiver to Beresford TC-7510 DAC. I have done some research on here and the general consensus for my budget of under £400 is Creek Evo, Acram A85, Nad C352. As you can tell I'll be buying secondhand. My preferred genre is hiphop/rnb but I do listen to a bit of dance/pop. This is my first upgrade and I'm looking forward to experiencing the benefits but would like assistance in choosing the right amplifier for my budget. Thanks.

Hi mattjax05

Rotel's RA-1062, NAD C370 or the more recent C352 are the amplifiers i'll recommend as these amplifiers will energize the Silver RS8's just nicely :) All three amplifiers will also work a treat with the genre of music you listen to.

I've dealt with the A85 for quite a number of years and i wouldn't recommend the A85 to be partnered the Silver RS8's as i don't feel it will be an appropiate tonal match.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

A

Anonymous

I do agree that the RS6's were better speakers but if the OP has his mind set on the RS8's then so be it...

I agree that the Arcam A85 wouldn't be a good amp to go for but I'd defrost stick with the Arcam Alpa 10 choice. Superb amp and really, IMO, what Arcam based their FMJ range on!

Arcam or NAD for me all the way. Plenty of prowess, power and punch; just what the RS speakers need to be controlled properly and also those amps will allow to drive the speakers hard

Crocodile

Jan 15, 2009
Visit site
Why the RS8, used bargain? You really need to hear them in your room before committing. They will need a fair bit of space from both back & side walls to avoid boom.

I have RS6 (bought blind) & have put a lot of time & money into "taming" them when the painful truth is that I probably shouldn't have bought them in the first place. Based on my experience, I'd be inclined to suggest that you look for a more neutral speaker unless you're a particular fan of the up front sound. It will be much easier to match an amp to something that doesn't lean to the extremes at either end of the spectrum.

I owned an A85 briefly with the RS6 in an attempt to calm the brightness of an RA-1062. While it did take some of the edge off the top I found the bottom all a bit woolly. The concensus seems to be that to get the best out of an A85 you have to bi-amp with a P85. Used prices are getting more ridiculous by the week so this is likely to set you back something in the region of £650 before you get to the extra cabling.

I now run a Leema Pulse III but I'm still contemplating a speaker change.

Crocodile said:
Why the RS8, used bargain? You really need to hear them in your room before committing. They will need a fair bit of space from both back & side walls to avoid boom.

I have RS6 (bought blind) & have put a lot of time & money into "taming" them when the painful truth is that I probably shouldn't have bought them in the first place. Based on my experience, I'd be inclined to suggest that you look for a more neutral speaker unless you're a particular fan of the up front sound. It will be much easier to match an amp to something that doesn't lean to the extremes at either end of the spectrum.

I owned an A85 briefly with the RS6 in an attempt to calm the brightness of an RA-1062. While it did take some of the edge off the top I found the bottom all a bit woolly. The concensus seems to be that to get the best out of an A85 you have to bi-amp with a P85. Used prices are getting more ridiculous by the week so this is likely to set you back something in the region of £650 before you get to the extra cabling.

I now run a Leema Pulse III but I'm still contemplating a speaker change.

What size is your room, Croc?

Crocodile

Jan 15, 2009
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
18' x 12' with the speakers firing across the short dimension & crammed into an alcove at one end. They certainly sounded a whole lot better firing down the long dimension, well away from the side walls. But short of a lottery win, there's nothing I can do about it :cry:

Just trying to make the OP aware that they can be difficult to accommodate & the RS8 potentially more so. Given that he's looking to change speakers & amp anyway, I'm just suggesting he maybe look at a speaker that isn't quite so demanding in positioning & amp. That could make his choices of partnering kit less restrictive.

Crocodile said:
plastic penguin said:
18' x 12' with the speakers firing across the short dimension & crammed into an alcove at one end. :cry:

Short of a lottery win there's nothing I can do about it

Roughly the same dimensions as our room. Like you the RS6s are firing across the narrow side. I'll try and post some pics later which'll demonstrate the problems we have. Have to say, unless I have very tolerant ears, there's no noticable harshness at either end of the frequency range.

The only thing that springs to mind is the MKII Pulse maybe slightly different to your MKIII. I've not heard the new version, but from reviews I've read, the MKII is slightly leaner perhaps. I don't know...

Crocodile

Jan 15, 2009
Visit site
We're derailing the OP's thread so probably best to leave this one but I wasn't saying they're still harsh. The Pulse III has cured that although they are still a little forward of neutral. But then all ears/tastes are different otherwise we'd all like the same genres of music!.

My problem now is purely one of occasional boom due to the poor positioning of both the speakers & the listening position (also too close to the wall).

Crocodile

Jan 15, 2009
Visit site
Those bare walls could be an issue. As I said, you really need to try the RS8s before you buy unless they're so cheap you can resell without loss.

A

Anonymous

mattjax05 said:
I'm more confused than ever now! I suppose it'll be whichever Amp in this thread turns up for sale at a good price first.

Dangerous game; dont jump at the first amp... You do need an amp that'll help to calm the top end of the speakers though so IMO Arcam and NAD are the safest bet. Both tese will manage the speakers very well indeed and let you play them at low volume for more background music but then also enable you to drive them hard when you want the music to be a bit louder!

These would be my choices:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Arcam-Diva-A85-Main-Integrated-Amplifier-Black-Immaculate-Condition-/280762136721?pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_Amplifiers&hash=item415eba3891

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NAD-C355BEE-Stereo-Integrated-Amplifier-C355-355-BEE-Titanium-MINT-/110761523041?pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_Amplifiers&hash=item19c9e6b761 - Price is a little high; not worth more than £250-£290 IMO so worth a punt

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NAD-C352-Stereo-Integrated-Amplifier-Excellent-condition-remote-/200666716724?pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_Amplifiers&hash=item2eb8ab1a34

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/arcam-fmj-32-boxed-mint-silver-power-lead-/180745472947?pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_Amplifiers&hash=item2a15450bb3

There are quite a few other Arcam A85's on eBay as well but my choices would be the NAD's or the Arcam FMJ A32

mattjax05

Oct 5, 2007
Visit site
hifilover1979 said:
mattjax05 said:
I'm more confused than ever now! I suppose it'll be whichever Amp in this thread turns up for sale at a good price first.

Dangerous game; dont jump at the first amp... You do need an amp that'll help to calm the top end of the speakers though so IMO Arcam and NAD are the safest bet. Both tese will manage the speakers very well indeed and let you play them at low volume for more background music but then also enable you to drive them hard when you want the music to be a bit louder!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Arcam-Diva-A85-Main-Integrated-Amplifier-Black-Immaculate-Condition-/280762136721?pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_Amplifiers&hash=item415eba3891

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NAD-C355BEE-Stereo-Integrated-Amplifier-C355-355-BEE-Titanium-MINT-/110761523041?pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_Amplifiers&hash=item19c9e6b761 - Price is a little high; not worth more than £250-£290 IMO so worth a punt

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NAD-C352-Stereo-Integrated-Amplifier-Excellent-condition-remote-/200666716724?pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_Amplifiers&hash=item2eb8ab1a34

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/arcam-fmj-32-boxed-mint-silver-power-lead-/180745472947?pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_Amplifiers&hash=item2a15450bb3

There are quite a few other Arcam A85's on eBay as well but my choices would be the NAD's or the Arcam FMJ A32

Thank you for examples, I do like the look of the Arcams too, much nicer than the NADs. I will keep an eye on the FMJ A32.

mattjax05

Oct 5, 2007
Visit site
hifilover1979 said:
mattjax05 said:

Thank you for examples, I do like the look of the Arcams too, much nicer than the NADs. I will keep an eye on the FMJ A32.

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
You have a great room :) and a real opportunity to get this right :) As crocodile has said, you don't want to make a bad decision and as hifilover has said, you shouldn't just jump at the first bargain you find. I would consider getting in touch with a local dealer to get an expert opinion and the chance to demo a range of kit, ideally at home for some items. Whilst you wouldn't make savings as big as buying second hand online, you might also find you can make some significant savings on RRP with a friendly dealer :)

A

Anonymous

mattjax05 said:

Looks aren't everything so don't discount the NAD amps. They're superb amps and will provide the count and poise needed to manage the RS8's!

If you can demo the NAD C356bee at a shop and also the Arcam FMJ A38 and then you'll get a good idea re the afire mentioned NAD amps and the Arcam A32 or Alpha 10.

matthewpiano

I've had a 740a so feel I can help you there. Its a very capable amp. Very detailed and very controlled, and it can drive a wide range of speakers with ease. Can tend towards being a bit dry and clinical sounding though, especially compared to the NAD and Arcam amps discussed earlier in this thread. For technical prowess its a great piece of kit but for sheer musical involvement I'd suggest trying the NAD C355BEE (used) or C356BEE instead.

mattjax05

Oct 5, 2007
Visit site
Can you please explain 'dry and clinical' for me. The 740a may be had for a tad over £200. Do you think it would not suit my genre of music (hip hop/rnb) this pairing? Cheers.

matthewpiano

It's a very detailed and controlled sound with no excess bloom or overstatement of any kind. It is a very accurate sounding amp, very exposing of poor recordings but not bright like some of the cheaper Cambridge amps of the past. The clearest way to describe it is perhaps as a scientific instrument for revealing the information sent to it by the source component.

I have a lot of time for it in many ways but at the time I found the cheaper 640A V2.0 to be a more persuasive performer for long listening sessions.

As for the pairing with the RS8s I'm not sure as the biggest MAs I've heard are the RS6s. It could work very well and at around £200 a 740a is a bit of a bargain. However, do be careful to check it out thoroughly as they are prone to problems with the volume control and not terribly cheap to fix.

Overall, a well built and good quality amp that does a lot of things very well and that is a great price, which you should be able to sell it on for again should it not suit you.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts