Monitor Audio RS8 but which amplifier please

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
A

Anonymous

To add onto what MP has been saying re the C/A amps; with your musical tastes and the sRS8 speakers you're after/have got, the C/A just wont do it

The C/A amps go well with some speakers (i.e. MS, Acoustic Energy etc...) but they dont gel very well at all with the M/A speakers; more so the RS range. The C/A's slight forwardnes and clinical soundstage doesnt bode well with the RS ranges top end and can make music sound fairly harsh etc...

As I said before and will keep saying; you're best to stick with the likes of NAD and potentially an Arcam Alpha 10 or an FMJ A32 if you can find them in budget

If you want to demo very similar amps before you buy then listen to the Arcam FMJ A38 and the NAD C356BEE integrated amps; these are more or les the same sound as their older siblings (Arcam Alpha 10/FMK A32 and the NAD C352 and C355BEE amps)

I'd be making an offer of £275 for that NAD C355BEE on eBay and I think you'd get it; they were being sold by Richer Sounds at £250 brand new at one point so for me; the aking price is too high

Like to add my tuppence worth on this one. MP is right when he advises caution.

I've not heard the Cambridge 740, so can't advise directly. However, a friend of mine has the older 640 V2 amp and CDP, and when I took my RS6s over to see how sounded it was like fingernails down a blackboard (this is the same friend who used to have Sherwood set-up. Perfect example of going from one extreme to another:p ). On the flipside I've heard the RS6s with Cambridge 840 and it sounded, to my ears, totally different; had more control, detail and broader soundstage. Whether the 740 sits between the two or not really couldn't say, but echoing MPs sentiments, I'd advise caution.

A

Anonymous

plastic penguin said:

I've not heard the Cambridge 740, so can't advise directly. However, a friend of mine has the older 640 V2 amp and CDP, and when I took my RS6s over to see how sounded it was like fingernails down a blackboard (this is the same friend who used to have Sherwood set-up. Perfect example of going from one extreme to another:p ). On the flipside I've heard the RS6s with Cambridge 840 and it sounded, to my ears, totally different; had more control, detail and broader soundstage. Whether the 740 sits between the two or not really couldn't say, but echoing MPs sentiments, I'd advise caution.

It does and it doesnt PP; the 740 is a good amp, as is the 840, both both have that same dryness/cliniclness to their sound; more so when with the likes of M/A and B&W speakers...

I still think if the 840 was an option; it'd still be painful at times...

hifilover1979 said:
plastic penguin said:

It does and it doesnt PP; the 740 is a good amp, as is the 840, both both have that same dryness/cliniclness to their sound; more so when with the likes of M/A and B&W speakers...

If the room acoustics is right, and the source is of a more controlled nature I wouldn't object to the 840 with RS6s.

Cyrus 8VS2 sounded pretty darn good in my living room when connected to my 73T and RSs. Certainly if we were vocal junkies then the Cyrus and, possibly, Cambridge 840 would be a serious option.

Crocodile

Jan 15, 2009
Visit site
mattjax05 said:
I suppose it'll be whichever Amp in this thread turns up for sale at a good price first.
If you're as set on the RS8s as you appear to be, that's not such a silly idea. At least you'll then get to hear how the speakers sound in your room with a sufficiently powerful amp. And I'm talking in terms of current delivery rather than what the specs say in WPC.

That will then give you an idea of whether or not the RS8 is suited to your room & if it is, give you the chance to get used to it's characteristics in combination with the amp. Then if you're dissatisfied, you'll know in which areas & can then look at replacing the amp with something that may solve that.

But the key is the "good price" as you don't want to be throwing away too much reselling.

A

Anonymous

plastic penguin said:
hifilover1979 said:
plastic penguin said:

If the room acoustics is right, and the source is of a more controlled nature I wouldn't object to the 840 with RS6s.

Cyrus 8VS2 sounded pretty darn good in my living room when connected to my 73T and RSs. Certainly if we were vocal junkies then the Cyrus and, possibly, Cambridge 840 would be a serious option.

Good call there PP

The Cyrus 8VS2 would be a good choice; more so for vocal music and it'd be a better suit than the C/A 740/840 IMO

More so if the OP were able to budget for a PSX-R in the very near future as well!

mattjax05

Oct 5, 2007
Visit site
Plan update:

I have knocked on the head the CA idea. Interested now in the NAD C352 and there is good choice in s/h market. Would like the Creek Evo but this is thin on the groud compared to NAD. Also keen on Arcam FMJ 32 but may be out of price range and Rotel RA1062 but this is in the same boat as Creek. I believe any of these amps will serve me well.

Cable wise I use QED Silver Anniversary which I understand may not gel with the amps above/rs8s? Also I have a QED qunex coaxial from squeezebox to DAC and Chord Crimson interconnects from DAC to amp. Any thoughts on these pleaee?

Thanks.

A

Anonymous

mattjax05 said:
Plan update:

I have knocked on the head the CA idea. Interested now in the NAD C352 and there is good choice in s/h market. Would like the Creek Evo but this is thin on the groud compared to NAD. Also keen on Arcam FMJ 32 but may be out of price range and Rotel RA1062 but this is in the same boat as Creek. I believe any of these amps will serve me well.

Cable wise I use QED Silver Anniversary which I understand may not gel with the amps above/rs8s? Also I have a QED qunex coaxial from squeezebox to DAC and Chord Crimson interconnects from DAC to amp. Any thoughts on these pleaee?

Thanks.

Sell the QED cable & replace with Chord Carnival Silverscreen or Chord Odyssey 2; stick to single wiring for now, the speakers sound better rather than bi-wire (which you can't do with the C352 anyway but you can with the C355BEE)

Also change the QED Qenex to either another CrimsonPlus or a CobraPlus; both very good interconnects.

Deffo keep you eye out for a C355BEE as well; superb amp and just that bit better than the C352 IMO

Crocodile

Jan 15, 2009
Visit site
You really don't want to be making wholesale changes all at once. If you do, & don't like the end result, how will you know what's to blame?

As I said before, start with the speakers or amp & then once you've acclimatised to that, change the other. Finally you can consider cables (but I really wouldn't replace your coax QED with analogue Chord ;) )

mattjax05

Oct 5, 2007
Visit site
Crocodile hi. I will definitely be getting the rs8s. I have a CA540 v2 amp now. From reading forum this won't be up to scratch so It'll need changing too, nethertheless I'll be trying this combo first. Nothing will be sold without testing with rs8s it's just nice to get a feel of how they might gel and the thoughts of other members beforehand.

Crocodile

Jan 15, 2009
Visit site
mattjax05 said:
A Rotel RA-1062 has been recommended in this thread but what about any other Rotels like the RA-06/SE?
Having owned an RA-1062 with RS6s, I wouldn't recommend it. Great at low volumes & at higher volumes with simple, well recorded stuff. But IMO, doesn't gel well with the RS's forward nature when pushed. I'd be surprised if a model down the chain was an improvement.

But then Rick at Musicraft is a big fan of the combination & says he's sold loads so again maybe it's something you need to hear for yourself.

Something I would suggest for your first foray into the amp market would be to get something with tone controls. That way if it doesn't suit with them defeated, you can play around a bit & see if a little boost here or a cut there helps. That could help you identify what characteristics you need from an amp in your environment. On that note, be aware that the RA-1062 doesn't have independent tone controls, just preset boosts. You can't cut bass or treble.

TRENDING THREADS