Monitor Audio PL100...

...with the Leema Pulse. Would that combo be an overkill?

I remember our esteemed Mr. Duncan once saying he heard Rega stuff with 5k and 7k speakers which he described as "a revelation."

So if I upgraded the source to the likes of Arcam 192 or similar priced DAC, what do you guys think?

(Not looking at this immediately so the IF word is pertinent in the short-term)

CnoEvil said:
PP, have you heard the PL100, and if so, with what?

Nope.

Sevenoaks, Brighton recommended the Pulse with PL range, but admitted it maybe a slightly OTT. Likewise, when I phoned Monitor Audio to ask what amps they'd recommend for their new ranges, they said the PLs are very good with Leema Tucana. Once I mentioned the Pulse they said: "Should be fine with PL range, but can't say for sure."

A

Anonymous

The PL100's are superb and the Leema would be a good match. They might be the last speakers you ever buy!

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
I would say much the same (Tucana)....except it wouldn't be the PL100, but the Kef Ref 201/2. I don't get on with the ribbon tweeter and think the Kefs sound more natural......but this is the slippery slope. >) The 201/2 + stand are getting close to a 203/2, so before you know what's happened your credit card has melted. :help:

CnoEvil said:
I would say much the same (Tucana)....except it wouldn't be the PL100, but the Kef Ref 201/2. I don't get on with the ribbon tweeter and think the Kefs sound more natural......but this is the slippery slope. >) The 201/2 + stand are getting close to a 203/2, so before you know what's happened your credit card has melted. :help:

Credit card? what's that?:O

Heard the the amp with PMCs, Totems, MA GS10s, Spendor SA-1 and A5 (last two were very brief), so I'm really trying to push the envelope (with a vastly improved source of course).

A good few years ago, when I took my tuner for a service at Infidelity, Hampton Wick, and picked it up the following day, the salesman had my tuner connected to an A65+ and PMC GB1 (original) and it sounded stonking. So I'm trying to think logically: If a £370 amp can sound fantastic with a speaker approx. RRP £1,100, then this £1,300 amp should sound the bees-knees with PL range. I know logic can backfire big time, but I don't know of any other thought process.

altruistic.lemon

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
Have to be honest, mate. There's a lot better speakers than the Monito Audios for that amount of money. The Harbeth, which start cheaper, knock them into a cocked hat, and both Martin Logan and Magnepans are in another league. You really need to check 'm all before splashing the cash.

altruistic.lemon said:
Have to be honest, mate. There's a lot better speakers than the Monito Audios for that amount of money. The Harbeth, which start cheaper, knock them into a cocked hat, and both Martin Logan and Magnepans are in another league. You really need to check 'm all before splashing the cash.

It's all very subjective: IMHO I love the MA sound, regardless of whether they are technically the best or not, and they synergise very well with Leema. And, also, makes such as the ones you've mentioned are difficult to source in my catchment e.g. no stockists. No way would I splash that sort of money without a darn good home audition.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
plastic penguin said:

Heard the the amp with PMCs, Totems, MA GS10s, Spendor SA-1 and A5 (last two were very brief), so I'm really trying to push the envelope (with a vastly improved source of course).

A good few years ago, when I took my tuner for a service at Infidelity, Hampton Wick, and picked it up the following day, the salesman had my tuner connected to an A65+ and PMC GB1 (original) and it sounded stonking. So I'm trying to think logically: If a £370 amp can sound fantastic with a speaker approx. RRP £1,100, then this £1,300 amp should sound the bees-knees with PL range. I know logic can backfire big time, but I don't know of any other thought process.

If a good source is a given, my view is to sort the amplification out before the speakers. Your existing ones should sound like they've been upgraded on the end of a Tucana. Then when finances recover go for better speakers. Done this way round, you get the best out of your own speakers meanwhile, and then when the better ones arrive it will do them justice. :dance:

shooter

May 4, 2008
Visit site
Synergy is the word though pp, you might find a cheaper speaker that sounds better than the PL100.

Finding a speaker that works in your room and with your amp is more important than the cost.

CnoEvil said:
plastic penguin said:

If a good source is a given, my view is to sort the amplification out before the speakers. Your existing ones should sound like they've been upgraded on the end of a Tucana. Then when finances recover go for better speakers. Done this way round, you get the best out of your own speakers meanwhile, and then when the better ones arrive it will do them justice. :dance:

Source is a given. Amplifier? no way. That's for keeps or until it coughs. It ticks every conceivable box for me.

I said recently that I think I'm extracting probably only 65% of the Leema's potential (on my current source and speakers). This was deduced after listening to Totem Arro and DB1is. Course, I haven't heard any of the new 'X' ranges from MA, so my whole theory or "logic" could be blown out of the water there and then.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
Source is a given. Amplifier? no way. That's for keeps or until it coughs. It ticks every conceivable box for me.

I said recently that I think I'm extracting probably only 65% of the Leema's potential (on my current source and speakers). This was deduced after listening to Totem Arro and DB1is. Course, I haven't heard any of the new 'X' ranges from MA, so my whole theory or "logic" could be blown out of the water there and then.

Hear you loud and clear. IMO. With the PL100s you will turn the problem on its head. Now you would be getting 65% of the speakers performance. There are some GS20s about at good value (£1000).

shooter

May 4, 2008
Visit site
matengawhat said:
i hate the amount of double posting on this website - its just no fun to post these days :wall:

Looks like JD is back on the team, put your concerns in the 'about the new site' forum, it may get some attention.

CnoEvil said:
plastic penguin said:

Hear you loud and clear. IMO. With the PL100s you will turn the problem on its head. Now you would be getting 65% of the speakers performance. There are some GS20s about at good value (£1000).

Clearly you don't necessarily stand by the theory of better and better speakers. Immensely impressed with the Totems, which I could've picked up for £800 (well known dealer).

A

Anonymous

The Leema Pulse is a superb amp and IMO would gel superbly with the PL100's PP

I've heard this combo with an Arcam CD37 and a NAD C545BEE via an Arcam DAC and it made for a brilliant set-up.

The Leema has all the power an finesse IMO ro run the PL100's superbly BUT I would also be looking at the likes of the Neat Motive 2's as well as the PMC GB1i's at that price range

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
CnoEvil said:
plastic penguin said:

Clearly you don't necessarily stand by the theory of better and better speakers. Immensely impressed with the Totems, which I could've picked up for £800 (well known dealer).

IMO If there is too big a discrepancy in cost, then the speaker may not be driven properly and can highlight deficiencies in the amp. I think you should be looking at speakers between £1000 and £1800. The GS20 used to be £1700. The Totem Arros (£1200) are very good btw.

tyranniux42

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
After recent system changes of my own I dont subscribe to the accepted wisdom of source first speakers last etc.

I have found personally that as long as the amp can resolve what the source is giving it ( so spending roughly equal ) then just buy the speakers that gel with the electronics, regardless of cost (unless you cannot afford them that is, in which case dont audition outside your budget).

as with my set up im running a £2000 source with an £1800 amp (although clearly they were designed to be matched) and almost £3500 speakers. so speakers which should outclass the electronics can obviously work, even if they are capable of much more. For me the speakers are the equipment Im likely never to change again as I have found a sound that suits my pallette. Electronics will likely be added to seeing as Im on the Naim route.

At the other end of the scale costing only 1/10th as much were my B&W 602 S3 which sounded fantastic on the end of the XS, although obviously not in the same league as the Ovators they had an excitedness about them that made them a joy to listen to, even if I knew I was not getting all of the information through them.

As has been said, synergy is key.

regards

A

Anonymous

I don't think upgrading from Monitor Audio RS6 speakers to anything less than the PL range would be worthwhile, having said that, I think there are many better choices than MA in that price range. Dynaudio, Spendor and PMC would be where I'd be looking.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts