Monitor Audio PL100

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hello,

I would like to say "hello" as writing first post at this forum.

I would like to ask the users of Monitor Audio PL100 speakers, in which size of room they`re listening to them.

I`m planning to buy them with their stands as a used with really good price and I would placed them in room of about 17 square meters (3,4x5) and 2,8 of height.

I`m wondering, if the bass will be sufficient at that room size.

In the beggining (and who knows, maybe later) they would be connected with my actual I21/CD21 Primare setup with Qed Revelation speaker cables (I`m using it at that moment with Avance Omega 503 floorstander speakers (their bass seems to be a bit dull sometimes, highs aren`t so bright and weak cabinet influency at lows is highly "audible")).

With regards,
Damian

A

Anonymous

Hi Tribunal,

I have the PL100's and your room size would not be a concern. In fact I would say that it may not be big enough for the bigger speakers. The PL100's have amazing treble and midrange, but are light on bass anyway. If you like a heartier sound, you can get the Spendor A6 for less money and they will give a different sound but fuller bass.

It depends what you want, but don't get the PL100's if you like Bass - it just dont have enough of it at this price.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for quick reply.

I think that noone of people who buy speakers in that price don`t like bass :) Speakers at that price should have everything almost good or very good in my opinion.
I`m before listening of these speakers and decision I will try to made after hearing them.
But, you can call PL100 bass weak ?
I`ve checked a couple of tests and in one of them I`ve found their frequency response: http://skocz.pl/dcjod .It looks not so bad, but i don`t want to build my decision supporting only on press tests :)

I thought about Spendors A6 but my room isn`t so big (it can`t be called small from the other point of view). I have now Avance Omega 503 speakers and lower frequencies are simply sometimes overloaded. It can be caused by positioning rear of them 40 cm from the longer wall. PL100 would be placed similar to my recent speakers because I have no possibility to change that :).

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
For the money, the PL100's don't produce as much bass as some of the competition, but the PL100's major in other areas, like midrange and their exceptionally sweet treble thanks to their ribbon tweeter. The bass they do have is punchy and detailed, so as long as your amp's up to it (the Primare should be fine), you'll not run into any issues.

They do like a bit of space to work at their best as do all speakers. Do you have a concrete or suspended wooden floor?

A

Anonymous

Hello!

My floor is suspended "floorboard", it`s not made from wood - it`s laminate flooring with big carpet in the middle of the floor. Speakers would be placed on longer 5 m wall and would have about 40 cm of rear and 1,4 m side free space.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
I can't see a problem - but then, you have to get them in your room before you can know how the room will react with them. Seems like you have plenty of space to play with, so shouldn't be many issues.

jaxwired

Feb 7, 2009
Visit site
Having demoed the PL100, I will add my 2 cents. I would call it bass light as well. A very attacking sound with lively mids and treble that are startling lifelike and musical, but the bass is weak. I know I couldn't be happy with them alone.

Regarding the Spendor A6, IMO your room is plenty big enough. The A6s don't react much with the room at all. They are definately small room friendly. But they don't sound anything like the MA PL100s. Between the two, the A6 is a more balance, more neutral, and I think more accurate. But the PL100s are very entertaining. If you like Monitor Audio, you should wait for the GX line. The smaller floorstander that is out soon also has the ribbon tweeter, but will obviously have more bass. Can't wait to hear those, they look like a million bucks.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for a bit of describing PL100 sound. Yep, definetly bass is important in overall music performance but not the most for me, and I`ll try to hear them first, but this is a bit complicated where I live, unfortunetely.

I`ve seen the pictures of new MA range, it should be an interesting proposition, but the prices will not be as low as I have opportunity to buy PL100.

Other speakers I`ll try maybe next week are something like Proac, Vienna Acoustics, maybe bigger Usher (I have a pair of Ushers S520 in my second smaller room and when I`m moving them to bigger room as above, these are almost only mid and treble with no lower frequencies speakers). Interesting thing is PMC f.ex FB1i, but I have no place to hear them where I live... These speakers have really good press.

matengawhat

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
i own a pair and have for sometime, first thing i will say is personally think they are one of the best looking speakers i have ever seen, the build quality is amazing - sound wise i love them they have fantastic midrange/high frequencies and everything just comes together effortlessly, they are a little bass light so i run mine with a sub but guess depends on what you are coming from - if you currently have standmounts you probably won't feel they are missing anything, if your coming from floorstanders you may want a little more low end

A

Anonymous

matengawhat:...one of the best looking speakers i have ever seen, the build quality is amazing...
I agree, a stunning speaker that is worth accommodating just for the appearance and build quality! Most speakers look terrible next to them!

A

Anonymous

I agree, the build quality of these speakers is definetely unmatched. But the speakers should sound too.

I`m wondering if anybody tried to compare PL100 with something from Usher ? (Be-718 or S520)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts