Monitor Audio PL100...

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
Harking back to my original question and compatibility of the PL range. Many have mentioned other brands, so wondering whether anyone has heard the Neat Momentum 3is? They seem to get rave reviews so could be another option.

This time my (personal) concern would be the "enthusiastic treble" and the possible lack of sensitivity. Bass is taken care of by the iso-barric design. I like the previous suggestion of the Harbeths.

CnoEvil said:
plastic penguin said:
Harking back to my original question and compatibility of the PL range. Many have mentioned other brands, so wondering whether anyone has heard the Neat Momentum 3is? They seem to get rave reviews so could be another option.

This time my (personal) concern would be the "enthusiastic treble" and the possible lack of sensitivity. Bass is taken care of by the iso-barric design. I like the previous suggestion of the Harbeths.

Many have said the same about RS6s treble. No probs.

deanhartley

Dec 18, 2008
Visit site
altruistic.lemon said:
Have to be honest, mate. There's a lot better speakers than the Monito Audios for that amount of money. The Harbeth, which start cheaper, knock them into a cocked hat, and both Martin Logan and Magnepans are in another league. You really need to check 'm all before splashing the cash.

Hey altruistic.lemon You are about as much help on this forum as a chocolate fire guard, mate! I doubt you have ever heard the PL100 or any other MA speaker (perhaps the the Bronze B 'something' you go on about in vitually every post) It seems that either MA have:

A. set your cat on fire.

or

B. You work for a competitor.

A

Anonymous

deanhartley said:
altruistic.lemon said:
Have to be honest, mate. There's a lot better speakers than the Monito Audios for that amount of money. The Harbeth, which start cheaper, knock them into a cocked hat, and both Martin Logan and Magnepans are in another league. You really need to check 'm all before splashing the cash.

Hey altruistic.lemon You are about as much help on this forum as a chocolate fire guard, mate! I doubt you have ever heard the PL100 or any other MA speaker (perhaps the the Bronze B 'something' you go on about in vitually every post) It seems that either MA have:

A. set your cat on fire.

or

:D Although seriously I had wondered if he did in fact work for a competitor, such is his hate of all things MA.

altruistic.lemon could be right or totally wrong in his appraisal of Monitor Audio. The strengths and weakeness of this forum is anyone can air their views on the favs. TBH, I don't know whether brands such as Harbeth, Wilson Benesch etc etc being better value for money. Do you know what? I don't care!

As a Arcam and MA lover I fully understand that there will be some levity towards me - or do I care if Harbeths or others are technically better than MAs? One thing I do know, the MAs I've owned and heard appeal to me more than most, given their respective price brackets.

Until I hear MA PL range, Harbeth (unlikely) and so on and so forth I won't write anything on my list nor will I catagorically dismiss it either.

Sabby

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
deanhartley said:
altruistic.lemon said:

A. set your cat on fire.

or

What is really annoying is when someone dismisses a product without have heard it like altruistic.lemon. He's based his entire dislike of MA speakers on his listening experience with the Bronze B 'something'. I doubt he even knew what speaker he was listening to, never mind assessing it's strengths and weaknesses.

altruistic.lemon

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
deanhartley said:
altruistic.lemon said:

A. set your cat on fire.

or

Wow, I'm impressed! Stalked by a manufacturer, no less
smiley-wink.gif

Listen, mate,I tell it like it is. From what I've heard there are better sounding speakers than yours. Several others have said that, too, so why you chose to launch a personal attack on me is beyone my simple understanding. My thoughts ain't going to stop you selling a swag of speakers, period.

Then you try to slander, or libel (never know which) by accusing me of having a hidden agenda and working for a competitor. That's cr*p, and if you have followed my posts as you seem to have you'll know my employ couldn't be more different.

If you're that worried send me a pair of speakers that you think compare with the brands I've mentioned, and I'll give 'em a listen. If they're good, I'll say so, rest assured.

Ball's in your court, mate.

altruistic.lemon said:
deanhartley said:
altruistic.lemon said:

A. set your cat on fire.

or

Wow, I'm impressed! Stalked by a manufacturer, no less
smiley-wink.gif

Listen, mate,I tell it like it is. From what I've heard there are better sounding speakers than yours. Several others have said that, too, so why you chose to launch a personal attack on me is beyone my simple understanding. My thoughts ain't going to stop you selling a swag of speakers, period.

Then you try to slander, or libel (never know which) by accusing me of having a hidden agenda and working for a competitor. That's cr*p, and if you have followed my posts as you seem to have you'll know my employ couldn't be more different.

If you're that worried send me a pair of speakers that you think compare with the brands I've mentioned, and I'll give 'em a listen. If they're good, I'll say so, rest assured.

Ball's in your court, mate.

altruistic.lemon, can we not turn this thread into a slanging match? It was started with the best intentions: Would the PL range be an overkill for the Pulse? As always, I appreciate views on the direct question, as well as suggestions for other brands. Clearly you have an immense dislike for MAs - as per my previous post, I really don't have an issue with that. If you are blunt (or honest) with your appraisals then you should be able to take it as well.

Best wishes, pp

altruistic.lemon

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
Excuse me, PP, but you've missed the context here. Someone attempted to slander (or libel) me on a public forum. I have the right to defend myself and have done so.I have not started nor intend to be part of a slanging match. I have already suggested a suitable solution if the MA rep is seriously worried that my handful of comments will damage his sales.Let's leave it there, shall we?
Excuse me, PP, but you've missed the context here. Someone attempted to slander (or libel) me on a public forum completely out of the blue. I have the right to defend myself and have done so.
I have not started nor intend to be part of a slanging match. I have already suggested a suitable solution if the MA rep is seriously worried that my handful of comments will damage his sales.
Let's leave it there, shall we?

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
I'm just tired of reading that Magneplanars (especially the ones that are unobtainable in the UK anyway) are the only right answer to almost any loudspeaker query.

The hectoring tone these recommendations are couched in (and the assertions that no other kind of speaker comes close to measuring up) are not really doing Magnepan any favours in terms of promoting their brand.

I get a feeling someone is 'in my face' and poking me in the chest when it is repeated in enough threads and without any variance in the tone. And I don't go with all the... "I speak as I find mate" and "I don't suffer fools" ...that we have seen in other speaker threads recently. It is boorish.

I had a little pair of MA 'BR somethings' (Bronze BR1s) for a year or so - with a little valve hybrid amp - and they sounded very nice indeed for what they cost. (£180 a pair at the time.) I have heard - and almost bought - MA RX1s that made a lovely sound.

I am not an MA 'fanboy' but I do think an MA dedicated thread should not have to come under attack in this way.

One good result was to provoke the MA Technical director himself to respond to the unfounded criticism of their product (and it made me laugh), although it would be good to hear more from Dean about the product itself rather than a defence against someone who has extrapolated a blanket condemnation of an entire brand from a less than satisfactory experience of just one of it's budget products at some time in the past. (Comparing a 'BR something' to a £1500 Harbeth or £1500 Magneplanar is somewhat 'skewed' anyway.)

deanhartley

Dec 18, 2008
Visit site
chebby said:
I'm just tired of reading that Magneplanars (especially the ones that are unobtainable in the UK anyway) are the only right answer to almost any loudspeaker query.

The hectoring tone these recommendations are couched in (and the assertions that no other kind of speaker comes close to measuring up) are not really doing Magnepan any favours in terms of promoting their brand.

I get a feeling someone is 'in my face' and poking me in the chest when it is repeated in enough threads and without any variance in the tone. And I don't go with all the... "I speak as I find mate" and "I don't suffer fools" ...that we have seen in other speaker threads recently. It is boorish.

I had a little pair of MA 'BR somethings' (Bronze BR1s) for a year or so - with a little valve hybrid amp - and they sounded very nice indeed for what they cost. (£180 a pair at the time.) I have heard - and almost bought - MA RX1s that made a lovely sound.

I am not an MA 'fanboy' but I do think an MA dedicated thread should not have to come under attack in this way.

One good result was to provoke the MA Technical director himself to respond to the unfounded criticism of their product (and it made me laugh), although it would be good to hear more from Dean about the product itself rather than a defence against someone who has extrapolated a blanket condemnation of an entire brand from a less than satisfactory experience of just one of it's budget products at some time in the past. (Comparing a 'BR something' to a £1500 Harbeth or £1500 Magneplanar is somewhat 'skewed' anyway.)

Hi Chebby,

I'd love to contribute on the forum more often, but just don't get time. We are all very passionate about what we do here, which is why one of my guys directed me to this link. I'm all for genuine views on products as it really helps us to refine our designs and in fact we do take user comments into account when we establish new design briefs. We design our own drivers from the ground up and every component is tooled and designed for a specific speaker. We do not re-cycle, use parts bin components or use other brands drivers. This, combined with certain personalities (of which I am one) all combine to create a unique sound and look that makes MA what it is today. Of course, we will not appeal to everyone and that's fine by us. Variety is what makes the world go around afterall.

I'll only make comment (usually), if I think I can provide genuine help to MA customers. Unfortuantely, I am not best placed to provide impartial views as in most cases forums users are comparing various brands. So, it's best that as a manufacturer/brand we keep out of those conversations. Likewise, it's not really our position to comment on component synergy as we don't have the massive amount of equipment around us. We do have our favourite equipment we use for development and demo, but that might not be for everyone. So, the best people to give impartial views on equipment synergy are reviewers, dealers and indeed forum members.

If there were dedicated forum sections for brands, then I would certainly try to find the time to contribute and inform MA users of any news, new product launches etc.

D;-)

deanhartley said:
chebby said:

Hi Chebby,

I'd love to contribute on the forum more often, but just don't get time. We are all very passionate about what we do here, which is why one of my guys directed me to this link. I'm all for genuine views on products as it really helps us to refine our designs and in fact we do take user comments into account when we establish new design briefs. We design our own drivers from the ground up and every component is tooled and designed for a specific speaker. We do not re-cycle, use parts bin components or use other brands drivers. This, combined with certain personalities (of which I am one) all combine to create a unique sound and look that makes MA what it is today. Of course, we will not appeal to everyone and that's fine by us. Variety is what makes the world go around afterall.

I'll only make comment (usually), if I think I can provide genuine help to MA customers. Unfortuantely, I am not best placed to provide impartial views as in most cases forums users are comparing various brands. So, it's best that as a manufacturer/brand we keep out of those conversations. Likewise, it's not really our position to comment on component synergy as we don't have the massive amount of equipment around us. We do have our favourite equipment we use for development and demo, but that might not be for everyone. So, the best people to give impartial views on equipment synergy are reviewers, dealers and indeed forum members.

If there were dedicated forum sections for brands, then I would certainly try to find the time to contribute and inform MA users of any news, new product launches etc.

D;-)

Hi Dean

We all know that forums of this size is open to various characters/opinions, and sometimes these opinions can spill into a subject that bares no connection to the original thread. It would be good if you could contribute under different circumstances, rather than trying to defend your corner from people who contribute little in a way of positive remarks.

Without trying to pin you down, is it worth listening to the PL100s or have a serious listen to the GX100s instead?

matthewpiano

Good professional response from MA there IMO. Nice to see another manufacturer being so balanced (Jim from Acoustic Energy is the other).

It's also good to see a manufacturer so openly saying that their product won't be for everyone. I'm really pleased with my BX2s and find their natural, tight, open and rhythmic sound a real antidote to some of the overblown sounding designs out there. They wouldn't suit a real bass-head though. They aren't lacking in bass but it is very controlled and in proportion with the music and might sound light to anyone who prefers the sound of B&W speaker, for example. Both brands are of very similar quality but provide quite different presentations and it's great that such choice exists.

matthewpiano said:
PP - Have you considered some PMC floorstanders as an alternative option? Given that you like the DB1i, might something like the GB1 suit your needs?

Certainly a tempting option, Matthew, but I am really pushing the limits of our living room dimensions, hence why I'm seriously looking at standmounters. The RS6s are fine but any bigger (or deeper at least) may turn the bass from well defined to slightly less comfortable sound.

Cheers for the suggestion.

A

Anonymous

plastic penguin said:
Kevin Stephens said:
PP. If you've not already spotted it my local dealer has a pair of cosmetically B stock PL100's for £1850. :?

Thanks Kevin. Unfortunately I'm in the process of buying a classic car, so funds just won't stretch to a broom broom and speakers.

The least you could do is ask the dealer wether you can try them at home for a week?

seems a good price to me. >) >)

The Limey said:
plastic penguin said:
Kevin Stephens said:
PP. If you've not already spotted it my local dealer has a pair of cosmetically B stock PL100's for £1850. :?

Thanks Kevin. Unfortunately I'm in the process of buying a classic car, so funds just won't stretch to a broom broom and speakers.

The least you could do is ask the dealer wether you can try them at home for a week?

seems a good price to me. >) >)

Depends where the dealer is?

Nah, thinking about it, I'll probably love them and the old car will go out of the window.

TRENDING THREADS