Monitor Audio Bronze BX2 Speakers - Suitable amplifiers

j-speaker

Dec 17, 2013
Visit site
Hi there,

I am about to purchase some Monitor Audio Bronze BX2 speakers, however i also need to buy an amp to acompany them.

I have been looking online at different amps although i am unsure about the power output required by the amp (The speakers have a max power handling of 100 watts).

One series of amp which have caught my attention due to their resonable price is the Skytec SPL Series PA DJ Disco Power Amplifier (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Skytec-SPL-Series-PA-DJ-Disco-Power-Amplifier-Amp-2x200W-2x500W-/121208929497?pt=UK_MusicalInstr_Amplifiers_RL&var=420195697995&hash=item1c389d7cd9).

I was wondering which model of the series would be most suited for the speakers? and also how i would go about connecting the amp to my windows laptop?

Thanks in advance for your advice!

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
What's your budget?

What music do you generally listen to?

To connect your PC to your amp you'll need a DAC (either USB or optical if you've got an optical out on the sound card)

Re the mentioned amp; personally I'd stay away. It's a generic 'dieco' amp so I'd say more designed forbooydness rather than decent sound but it's your call...

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
j-speaker said:
Hi there,

I am about to purchase some Monitor Audio Bronze BX2 speakers, however i also need to buy an amp to acompany them.

I have been looking online at different amps although i am unsure about the power output required by the amp (The speakers have a max power handling of 100 watts).

One series of amp which have caught my attention due to their resonable price is the Skytec SPL Series PA DJ Disco Power Amplifier (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Skytec-SPL-Series-PA-DJ-Disco-Power-Amplifier-Amp-2x200W-2x500W-/121208929497?pt=UK_MusicalInstr_Amplifiers_RL&var=420195697995&hash=item1c389d7cd9).

I was wondering which model of the series would be most suited for the speakers? and also how i would go about connecting the amp to my windows laptop?

Thanks in advance for your advice!

Be aware that the amplifier you mention may be rated at a nominal 200 wpc but this is without qualification and could mean anything.

The most telling thing is that the maximum power consumption of the unit is just 100 watts, even given a reasonably good and efficient power supply (unlikely given the price) this will give you a power rating of about 40-45 wpc.

If you want to go down this path, spend a bit more on studio spec amplifiers, the cheapest of which would be the well known Behringer A500.

More powerful and better sounding a genuine 230 watt amplifier (at 4 ohms), can be had for about £150 if you look around.

To connect you would need an inexpensive usb dac, their are plenty available though my choice would be the Behringer UCA 202 at just £25.

Volume and all other control is performed by the 'player' on your PC.

Joshuamessenger

Mar 23, 2012
Visit site
I would stay away from that amp and look at a hi if amp for the speakers. All you really need is a good amp what puts out power of 30 watt or more. As they are relatively sensitive speakers and good quality as that as I have ownd the older model my self.

power is not key in hifi on less your spending 20k on a pair of speakers and that 200watt amp would sound dreadful, I would even go as far that dose not put out its true wattage.

Hope i I have got my point across but on the hole it would work and you could connect it to PC via RCA to 3.5 mm if your on the cheep but your speakers would sound as look as a logic3 sound dock

j-speaker

Dec 17, 2013
Visit site
My Budget is going to be around 100 pounds an i tend to listen to all types of music except rock.

Definitley need to re think amp choice then! sounds like skytec isn't the way to go.

Any recommendations around that budget?

Thanks for the help guys,

Would this be a suitable amp http://www.pioneer.eu/uk/products/22/98/405/A-10-K/page.html?

The Behringer A500 is also closely priced to that, so out of the two which would be the better buy?

Joshuamessenger

Mar 23, 2012
Visit site
I'll list a few what you could pic up under 100 on eBay, what will be suitable.

NAD C320BEE

Cyrus two and Cyrus 3

Cambridge Audio 550a

Marantz PM6010

Arcam FMJ 22

i would say the NAD and arcam would be best for the pair of speakers.

I found since wondering in the world of hifi it's a step learning curve, I'm only 21 and I have realised a few mistakes I have made.

But I will say its a bug and you always want a better sound and that will come at a cost :( but it's also fun when u pick up a product on the cheep :)

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
At £100 your budget isnt that big but... Decent 2nd hand amps can be had easy enough via eBay

This would be my choice straight away:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NAD-C320BEE-integrated-amplifier-STUNNING-SOUND-and-CONDITION-/171193414556?pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_Amplifiers&hash=item27dbec339c

Tank of an amp; bags of power that'll drive your MA BX2's with ease and its a fantastic amp to boot. A muti award winner back in its day and NAD and known for being built very well and it'll last you a lifetime if looked after :)

Edo

Sep 18, 2013
Visit site
Yamaha A-S500 is very capable, tremendous sound amplifier for the MA BX-2. In fact yamaha A-S500 is class above compared to BX-2. In direct mode, I found very detailed upper and midrange spectrum. They are detailed, clean, clear, and not overly bright (there is no trace of ear fatigue). However in direct mode there is a lack of bass punch. But, don't worry, turning direct mode off, and seting bass knob up on the amplifier , bass get's punchy and can compete even with some floorstander speakers. In that way you will get dynamic full spectrum sound.

I higly recomend yamaha A-S500 , MA BX-2 combo.

TRENDING THREADS