Monitor Audio / 863: W8 Subwoofer never seems to be receiving a signal

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I have a Yamaha 863 and Monitor Audio vector 5.1 speaker set-up.

When watching sky hd or playing on the PS3 the sub-woofer doesn't seem to get a signal to auto switch on at all.

I have set the sub setting to both on the 863, audio out to optical and pcm on the ps and optical / dolby on the HD box.

Should watching an HD movie say trigger the sub when in auto mode? If i turn the sub to on as opposed to auto it doesn't jump to life.

It does however switch on when running the 863's speaker set up.

I haven't, as yet double checked with a blueray but that is this weekends task.

Any thoughts?

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
This suggests you have the output level from the amp set too low to trigger the sub's automatic power on.

Turn down the gain on the subwoofer, then either re-run the automatic calibration on the Yamaha (turn the sub to on while you run the calibration, then back to auto when it's done) or go into the amp's speaker level menu and crank up the output level by ear.

You'll still have the same subwoofer output level, but it'll be achieved by a stronger signal being sent from the amp - which should be enough to trigger the sub's auto-switching - and less amplification in the sub.

A

Anonymous

I turned the volume down to a bout a 3rd but still the same then found a setting that let me reduce the trigger level for the sub I presume from 0db to up to -20db, set this to -15 and everything seems to be ok. Thx for the help :)

I just need to borrow a set of ears now to check the calibration on mine ...

TRENDING THREADS