Monitor A. BR 2 vs Acoustic Energy Aegis Neo 1 for smoother sound

Tibor

Oct 23, 2007
Visit site
 Which speaker has smoother treble(without listening fatigue) and warmer sound for classical(violin ) music.? I want to avoid bright, unlistenable treble with my Marantz Cd 5001 cd player. I sold my Kef IQ 3 and Polkaudio Rti 6 because bright treble, and now I want to buy the Monitor  A. BR 2 or the A. E. A. Neo 1.
  Thank you for response

matthewpiano

Not heard the AEs but the BR2s are wonderful for classical music and I don't find them at all bright. The treble is detailed but never becomes overly bright or shrill in any way. Orchestral recordings sound magnificent, aided by the impressive bass response for boxes of their size. Fed with a good amplifier, connected with decent quality speaker cable and mounted on solid stands they soundstage well, have plenty of life and excitement and re-create the sound of real instruments with ease.

There are, of course, better speakers if you spend double the amount (Epos, Spendor, and the more expensive MAs all spring to mind) but I think the BR2s are extremely hard to beat for the money and that they give some more expensive designs (like the B&W 685s) plenty to worry about.

A

Anonymous

Tibor, can't help feeling that your requirements for a speaker will
be hard to find in budget models. Realistically, it's the 600? mark and
above where you'll find the qualities you want - think B&W CM
series, Canton 820, Elac, any Italian speaker or nearly, top range Kef,
Tannoy etc.

In other words, why not compromise and buy something
like the Tannoy F1s or the Q-acoustics 10xx models for the interim and
live with the limitations for a bit? You'll still be able to enjoy the
music after all.

Also, reviews vary in quality from one person's
thoughts based on nothing in particular to panel tests using extensive
criteria that try to deny the inherently subjective nature of any HiFi
review. In the end, they matter not a whit, it's your ears that count.

As has been said elsewhere, just head down to your local dealer and listen.

Tibor

Oct 23, 2007
Visit site
Thank you for advice
You are right, but I think there are diferences beetwen budget bookshelf speakers,manyÿareÿunlistenableÿwithÿbudgetÿelectronics. I only want to avoid the bright ones with my electronics, because I have no possibility to try these speakers.

A

Anonymous

Hi Tibor,

I do sympathise -I had been making do for a while until I got lucky on ebay the other week.

Might be worth listening to the Q Acoustics range. I have the 1010s, which are the smallest in the range. They lack in bass, but are nice and neutral, not bright, and do well with violin. Assuming that the other models maintain the house sound but with improved bass, then maybe the 1020s would be a thought. At just over 100 pounds they look a good deal.

A

Anonymous

The Q Acoustics are probably not what you are looking for as they do not compare to the best of the budget models which include Tannoy Mercury F1 though I think Wharfedale Diamonds 9.1's discounted to around £100 are better. The Mordaunt Shorts 902i won't work for you. The BR2's are often thought as the be all end all budget speaker allowing for easy placement in smaller rooms with excellent bass extension. What hi fi like the Dali Lektor 1's but they haven't heard the PSB Image B25 which are similar to the BR2's thought to be better but more expensive at around £250.

Of all these speakers my choice would be between the Wharfedale Dimond 9.1 instead of AE Neo 1 V MA BR2's. You must audition first, most dealers will price match so haggling for the best price and/or extras is always worth a try before you buy.

matthewpiano

Only slight problem with the BR2s, which I'm starting to get slightly fed up with, is their tendency to sound slightly on the thick side. Occasionally the edges are rounded off a little too much. They could do with slightly more air in the sound. Wonderful in many ways but, like anything at this price, there are compromises to be made.

A

Anonymous

Extending the bass will add a weighty character and will always detract from fluidity. The BR2's do this well and can be tamed by either using the port bungs and/or a min of 50-70cm from side wall and pulled out slightly to min 20cm from rear wall should work. One criticism I have noted is the sudtle cupped hands effect in the mid range which is usually as a result of the main driver extending to high in the upper mid range where it crosses over yet these are still praised for their integration. Only for this reason would I pitch them against the PSB Image B25's (£250).

Tibor

Oct 23, 2007
Visit site
Hello
For me the Wharfedale diamond 9.1and Tannoy Fusion have a dull sound, with not too many detail, they lack excitement

Tibor

Oct 23, 2007
Visit site
I read, that the Acoustic E. Aegis Neo 1 has a similar character with M. S. Avant 902i, but with smoother treble, whithout treble harshness . What is your opinion?

A

Anonymous

If your room space is less than 20 square metres then a front ported design will allow for less reflections when placed back against the wall. I suggested the 9.1's as they are highly rated, warm smooth treble and discounted making them undisputably the finest speaker around for less than £200. The Neo 1's would require more space as they are rear ported. Ideally you must exploit your local dealers and try as many as possible. Kef IQ1's are another possibility along with Quad L ite.

A

Anonymous

If you find the wharfedales dull then you can't rule out the Mordaunt Short's contrary to requirements.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts