Mission M33 sounding dull on Denon AVR 1905?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi there

I was wondering if someone can give me some advice on my system. I have a Denon AVR 1905 Receiver with Mission M33 fronts, cheap mission center, B&W LM1 surrounds and PSB SubZero sub. The sound is okayish when watching Dolby Digital and especially DTS sources, but stereo sound is really unimpressive.

What could I look at to improve the sound? Is the amp under powered for those speakers?

I would really like to get B&W 683 / 685's, but cannot afford to get a new receiver and speakers. I won't really upgrade the center until I'm confident that I have the correct fronts.

Will post some pics of the room in the next post.

Thanks in advance for any advise.

A

Anonymous

Here are some photo's of the lounge, if that adds anything to the equation.

CRW_6977.jpg

CRW_6975.jpg

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
It could be that the 1905 doesn't quite have the nuts to do the job properly - if that is the case, the B&W 600 series isn't going to serve you any better. AV amps aren't really designed with music in mind - more for processing/scaling/switching numerous video inputs, decoding digital sound formats, running second zones, integrated radio etc etc. Hi-fi quality components take a back seat. I think a speaker upgrade might be on the cards, but I'd look at amplifiers first. Denon can sound a little soft, so try Yamaha as it should have a bit more life to it. An RXV2065 or RXV3900 would be recommended.

Another thing could be that you have rather a large room to fill - not just what we can see in the pic, but also the open plan bit just above out of sight. That's a lot for a system to fill.

A

Anonymous

Thanks Frank.

I really appreciate your input. I was not thinking of adding the B&W 600 series to my current amp, if I were to get those, I would upgrade the amp first and get the B&W's later. Only reason I'm asking is because I'm not sure if I must replace the amp with the B&W's in mind, or if by upgrading the amp I might not need other mains, just the proper mission centre speaker.

How would the Yamaha RX-V465 and Yamaha RX-V565 compare with my current Denon1905 on the mission speakers? Could I run B&W 600 series on that in the future? The Yamaha RXV2065 is a bit out of my price range.

The

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
It's David
emotion-1.gif

They wouldn't be too different to be honest. You'd have to be looking nearer the £1k mark to make a decent improvement, and to be able to drive speakers any better than amps around £400-700.

A

Anonymous

What do you guys think of the Onkyo TX-SR606? Driving the missions as well as maybe the B&W 684 or 685's in the future using the bi-amp channels as well?

Here in South Africa we get screwed with import duties, the Denon 2310 is 1300 pounds here. Can get the Onkyo for 613 pounds.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts