Mission 778X is the company's first stereo amplifier in 40 years

Hifiman

Apr 17, 2020
‘After it [the 778], Mission didn't stop making amps – it just did so under its new Cyrus brand offshoot. But now we have a new model under the Mission name.’.
Well I am looking at the Mission Cyrus 1 that I bought in 1984 and still love using. It was a good number of years before the word ‘Mission’ was dropped from their integrated amps.

djh1697

Nov 27, 2008
I had an original Cyrus one from the early 1980's, it had the serial number 384. I used it for a long time due to its excellent phono stage, I sold it a few years ago when I went fully Naim amplification.

Sadly the DAC ES9018K2M is built around MQA, Mediocre Quality Audio, very sad :(

The earlier ES tone board was an excellent product that is sadly discontinued.

Gray

Looks OK.
Always nice to see a full sized headphone socket.

In the same way that Kellogs say they don't make cornflakes for any other company.....do we think that Cyrus has nothing to do with this? :unsure:

podknocker

Feb 5, 2021
This new amp is very similar in spec and concept to the Quad Vena 2 amp, or amps in the 'One' range. The Mission 778X will probably use the same parts as those inside these amps. I very much doubt it will sound anything like a decent Cyrus amp. It's also underpowered, doesn't have a streamer built in and it's a huge device. It's going to be very tricky getting it to fit many shelves, due to the depth. A very impractical and average spec amp. I wouldn't touch one with a barge pole. If I was starting again, with a new system, I'd spend £599 on a Bluesound Powernode Edge. Nearly as powerful, a tiny footprint and a BluOS streamer inside.

Last edited:

robdmarsh

Jun 28, 2015
This new amp is very similar in spec and concept to the Quad Vena 2 amp, or amps in the 'One' range. The Mission 778X will probably use the same parts as those inside these amps. I very much doubt it will sound anything like a decent Cyrus amp. It's also underpowered, doesn't have a streamer built in and it's a huge device. It's going to be very tricky getting it to fit many shelves, due to the depth. A very impractical and average spec amp. I wouldn't touch one with a barge pole. If I was starting again, with a new system, I'd spend £599 on a Bluesound Powernode Edge. Nearly as powerful, a tiny footprint and a BluOS streamer inside.
Well I sincerely hope they've upped their DAC game in the "Edge" version of the Node. The DAC in the Node 2021 sounded pretty lackluster in my opinion.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts