Mission 778X is the company's first stereo amplifier in 40 years

Hifiman

Apr 17, 2020
Visit site
‘After it [the 778], Mission didn't stop making amps – it just did so under its new Cyrus brand offshoot. But now we have a new model under the Mission name.’.
Well I am looking at the Mission Cyrus 1 that I bought in 1984 and still love using. It was a good number of years before the word ‘Mission’ was dropped from their integrated amps.

djh1697

Nov 27, 2008
Visit site
I had an original Cyrus one from the early 1980's, it had the serial number 384. I used it for a long time due to its excellent phono stage, I sold it a few years ago when I went fully Naim amplification.

Sadly the DAC ES9018K2M is built around MQA, Mediocre Quality Audio, very sad :(

The earlier ES tone board was an excellent product that is sadly discontinued.

podknocker

This new amp is very similar in spec and concept to the Quad Vena 2 amp, or amps in the 'One' range. The Mission 778X will probably use the same parts as those inside these amps. I very much doubt it will sound anything like a decent Cyrus amp. It's also underpowered, doesn't have a streamer built in and it's a huge device. It's going to be very tricky getting it to fit many shelves, due to the depth. A very impractical and average spec amp. I wouldn't touch one with a barge pole. If I was starting again, with a new system, I'd spend £599 on a Bluesound Powernode Edge. Nearly as powerful, a tiny footprint and a BluOS streamer inside.

Last edited:

robdmarsh

This new amp is very similar in spec and concept to the Quad Vena 2 amp, or amps in the 'One' range. The Mission 778X will probably use the same parts as those inside these amps. I very much doubt it will sound anything like a decent Cyrus amp. It's also underpowered, doesn't have a streamer built in and it's a huge device. It's going to be very tricky getting it to fit many shelves, due to the depth. A very impractical and average spec amp. I wouldn't touch one with a barge pole. If I was starting again, with a new system, I'd spend £599 on a Bluesound Powernode Edge. Nearly as powerful, a tiny footprint and a BluOS streamer inside.
Well I sincerely hope they've upped their DAC game in the "Edge" version of the Node. The DAC in the Node 2021 sounded pretty lackluster in my opinion.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts