Misadventure with vinyl upgrade - now resolved

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
Only just saw this thread, and so glad you have a good solution. My only experience akin to yours was many years ago with a Dual tt with mc cartridge with had an earth/static problem. About twice per side a huge click, more like lightening strike, would occur. Nothing to do with LP surfaces, just random sparks which I solved with a kit kat wrapper earthing said static!

mgkwackerd

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
I've home tested Rega Aria, Primare R32, Croft RIAA R, EAR 834 ordinary, Rogue Triton, and LFD LE. (£795 to £1095)

Have used the same MM cart, 2M bronze, for all the listening, and it was between the Croft and LFD

Both very nice, no concerns about listening to their "sonic signature" as within minutes you're just listening to the music, and forgetting they are there. Surface noise was negligible on both, but have gone for the LFD as it is just the most pleasing to listen to and is the one that offers the least annoyance of ticks, cracks and pops, but has great airiness around instruments which suits my amplification perfectly, and makes the whole listening experience really enjoyable, and there are no valves.

There was no "oooohh didn't like that, owtch that's harsh, wow that's recessed, errr that's rubbish" just great listening with much better detail, depth, soundstage, taughtness and airiness, a great improvement over Rega Fono, and just how I like to hear my music, not forward and in your face.

The other 4 gave fairly similar traits as the Lehmann & Trichord, not my cup of tea.

Anyway vinyl listening is now on a par with my CD, and I may even buy new Vinyl, so theres a shock !!

thanks for the replies

mgkwackerd

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
nopiano, I knew it wasn't earthing, my arm is cardass wired with seperate ground wire and the bearing assy is grounded as well.

Just seems some of the newer phono stages are just way too forward and really spoil the listening experience by exacerbating the clicks, crackles and pops, anyway happy now, and all units returned, and has cost me about £50 in P&P returns.

Going to buy an LP, the weekend, first for 25 years, just to see how good a new 180g is, on this much improved T/T set up.

mgkwackerd

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
Steve,

I have that on CD, original and re-master, prefer the original.

Now I've decided to start buying Vinyl again, I'm not going to duplicate on CD, as this T/T set up is now producing the goods.

I went to get Wishbone Ash's latest "Blue Horizion" double gatefold, but couldn't find it, so will get it M/O. But I did buy a new sealed old style "Purple Rain" soundtrack £3.99, very good to hear "new" vinyl, as all my records have been played a lot, and the clarity was excellent.

New era dawns !!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts