Midi replacement - advice please

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
With my birthday coming up, my wife suggested that I might like to replace our big ugly 15 year old Pioneer midi system with the sort of proper hi-fi I always wanted as a kid.

However, I only have a nominal budget in mind of £500 and I wondered whether I can get a system (CD + Amp + Speakers) that will sound significantly better than my old midi for that kind of money.

If a hi-fi system for that budget shows no major improvement, we may as well go for a nice small mini system that at least will look smarter than the old beast!

I have tested the Richer Sounds £500 Cambridge Audio Azur special offer (540A amp + 640C CD + free MS 902i speakers) and was not completely blown away by the improvement. It was definitely better than my current set up, a much 'brighter' sound, but it didn't make me want to spend my £500 for a relatively small improvement.

I felt the sound was still a bit 'distant' and didn't quite fill the room (5 m x 4m) as I had hoped.

All 3 items receive great reviews so I don't think they are poor kit, just that they didn't suit my tastes.

Is the speaker the problem? If I can strech my budget a bit, can I get a standmount to match to this sort of system that has a much bigger sound than the 902i?

Many thanks

A

Anonymous

i own that very sistem and am happy with it but as u say it does strugle to fill the room my is 5m by 4m so im upgrading to some new floorstanders as adviced by mr everard so i think u really should consider streching ur budget and get some better speakers not bigger bu something that is easyer to drive

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the advice guys.

With the 902i speakers being free with the Azur 540/640 system, going for the BR2 speakers would add £200 to the budget (which I haven't ruled out).

Does anyone rate the Azur 340 amp and CD? They would cost £300 leaving me £200 for the BR2s, or are they not up to the job of driving those speakers?

Thanks again

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts