Micro System or dirt cheap separates.

shep1968

Aug 20, 2007
Visit site

I have a micro system in my spare room which I use for listening to CD’s and radio, both DAB and medium wave. It is attached to Kef IQ5 speakers. The CD unit has packed up. Would I be better spending £200 on a replacement Denon unit, albeit without medium wave, or buying the cheapest amp, cd player and tuner from Richer sounds for around £300. I know it is subjective and I would prefer the smaller unit but will the sound be that much better to warrant the extra space and £100? Internet radio is no use for my needs, I need a DAB based radio.

mr malarky

Apr 4, 2009
Visit site
You could be better of going for a micro unit on that budget if you can find one that has the spec you need, some of the current ones are very good and you'll get a good price on end of line models - if you go for separates you're paying for a lot of duplication in components/casing/materials etc

shep1968

Aug 20, 2007
Visit site
Fuzzy Bear said:
The Marantz MCR-603 is around the 300 mark. Some very happy people on this forum with one.
Noticed the Denon DM39 at around £200 but without medium wave which i guess i could live without. Streaming into or from it isnt an issue, will the sound output be worth the extra £100 do you think?

shep1968

Aug 20, 2007
Visit site
Fuzzy Bear said:
The Marantz MCR-603 is around the 300 mark. Some very happy people on this forum with one.
Noticed the Denon DM39 at around £200 but without medium wave which i guess i could live without. Streaming into or from it isnt an issue, will the sound output be worth the extra £100 do you think?

mr malarky

Apr 4, 2009
Visit site
shep1968 said:
Fuzzy Bear said:

Phone around some local dealers and see if any have both models in stock, then take your own speakers along for a quick demo. Marantz and Denon are both good and are fairly similar (they're part of the same company, like Audi and VW, so share many components), but do have a slightly different sound, and no-one will know better than you do which one sounds better through your existing speakers.

Sizzers

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
I have owned both and unquestionably I would go for the Marantz, and at the price the 603 is now going for it is an absolute steal.

magnus78

Jul 14, 2012
Visit site
Hi Sizzers,

price a side. You have choosen Marantz over the Denon because of better sound quality or more features?

Sizzers said:
I have owned both and unquestionably I would go for the Marantz, and at the price the 603 is now going for it is an absolute steal.

Fuzzy Bear

Jan 19, 2009
Visit site
Hi shep1968,

On the price alert camelcamelcamel.com, the Marantz 603 price has been dropping quite steadily over the past few months and I imagine will be very close to the magic 300 number soon ( I can't gurantee it tho, haha) ,

As above, take you speakers along for a demo, while yes it maybe pricier for the extra features, it packs a little more punch and the sound has been very well recieved too.

A detailed review from our trusty mod AE here, with some top end speakers.

http://www.gramophone.co.uk/editorial/marantz-m-cr603-a-compact-solution-packed-with-performance

It's up to you if its worth the extra £100, but it does give a bit of future proofing if you ever decide to use network features. You seem keen for the radio tuner, there are some wonderful internet stations around too, if you ever were tempted.

Sizzers

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
magnus78 said:
Hi Sizzers,

price a side. You have choosen Marantz over the Denon because of better sound quality or more features?

SQ.

I had to sell my 603 due to financial brown stuff and ended up with the 39 when funds re-allowed (I couldn’t afford the then asking price of £400 for the 603, otherwise a no brainer).

The Denon is a pretty decent bit of kit but the Marantz delivers greater detail and clarity, more punch, a wider sound stage, and overall musical enjoyment than the 39. I can’t even quantify that by saying “to my ears”, it just is. I’m not saying the 603 is for you – or anybody else – until they’ve heard it, but the 603 is a definite step above the 39 (just to note that I’m basing this on CD as source as I have no interest in streaming etc.)

shep1968

Aug 20, 2007
Visit site
Fuzzy Bear said:
Hi shep1968,

On the price alert camelcamelcamel.com, the Marantz 603 price has been dropping quite steadily over the past few months and I imagine will be very close to the magic 300 number soon ( I can't gurantee it tho, haha) ,

As above, take you speakers along for a demo, while yes it maybe pricier for the extra features, it packs a little more punch and the sound has been very well recieved too.

http://www.gramophone.co.uk/editorial/marantz-m-cr603-a-compact-solution-packed-with-performance

It's up to you if its worth the extra £100, but it does give a bit of future proofing if you ever decide to use network features. You seem keen for the radio tuner, there are some wonderful internet stations around too, if you ever were tempted.
Internet radio is useful but as stated i need DAB and medium wave as i listen to sports commentary and the stations cant broadcast them over theinternet, they dont havethe rights. Will be difficult to take my speakers as i have floor standers but can use something similar in the demo room. The extra £100 isnt a deal breaker. As you say, streaming would be useful.

shep1968

Aug 20, 2007
Visit site
Fuzzy Bear said:
Hi shep1968,

Internet radio is useful but as stated i need DAB and medium wave as i listen to sports commentary and the stations cant broadcast them over theinternet, they dont havethe rights. Will be difficult to take my speakers as i have floor standers but can use something similar in the demo room. The extra £100 isnt a deal breaker. As you say, streaming would be useful.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
shep1968 said:

My M-CR603 has AM radio but I have never tried it so I can't vouch for it's quality. However, AM broadcast quality itself - as you know - is pretty ropey anyway. So I expect the M-CR603 is as good as any other FM/AM tuner in this respect.

Personally i'd probably get an old Hacker Sovereign in good nick.. The old portables make the best job of LW/MW in my experience.

gasolin

Mabye the denon DRA-F109DAB it cost where i live (Denmark) 45% less the the denon ceol and the power is the same. Theres also the Denon DRA-107 slightly more expensive then the 109 model, but with more connections, you can use banaplugs for speaker cable and theres a phono input, it has the same powerfull amplifer as the 109 and ceol model.

plutus

Mar 27, 2013
Visit site
Native_bon said:
plutus said:
is there a marantz "mcr604" on route?

Trust me a newer model does not always mean better.. Get this one while you can.

maybe, but how can one explain this price drop?

moreover, would you go for dali zensor 1, tannoy v1 or spend an extra 80£ and get the bx2?

Madmax111

Jan 9, 2015
Visit site
Marantz vs Denon M39 vs Onkyo N755
Dear Chebby

I plan to purchase either of three (Marantz 603/denon M39/Onkyo N755) and pair them with Wharfdale Diomond 220 speakers. I mostly listen to rock (Dire starits, Guns & Roses kind and country music ). I am looking for deep detailed sound at low/mid volumes with tight and respectable bass. Demo of all may not be possible as the systems have to be pre ordered as they are not readily available in my country.

Please suggest the best fit. You may recommend another speakers in the similar price bracket.

Thanks

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
Why not try a Yamaha rx377 @ £179 from richers with a budget cdplayer (preferably one with digital out).

Or if you can a rx677 or equivalent. It'll outperform the midie's you're considering.

TRENDING THREADS