Michell Gyro Arm and Cart

steffan7777

Feb 4, 2016
Visit site
Hi Guys, gonna be quick as I keep getting spammed-out!

Re potential puchase of Michell Gyro with RB2000 or SME M2 arm, Cadenza Blue cart and Rega Aria stage.

Are my cost splits sensible with the Gyro, arm and cart all about the same?

It seems the RB2000 and SME-M2 are well thought of, but are they worth the extra over a Technoarm. Are there any others I should consider for the price?

Many thanks in anticipation

regards

steffan7777 said:
Hi Guys, gonna be quick as I keep getting spammed-out!

Re potential puchase of Michell Gyro with RB2000 or SME M2 arm, Cadenza Blue cart and Rega Aria stage.

Are my cost splits sensible with the Gyro, arm and cart all about the same?

It seems the RB2000 and SME-M2 are well thought of, but are they worth the extra over a Technoarm. Are there any others I should consider for the price?

Many thanks in anticipation

regards

Following on from your initial post in the main Hifi section:-

Sod it, cannot paste comments made in that section. Pleas read my last there and comment here.

daytona600

£5k approx for that front end ( deck/arm/cartridge/phono stage ) your source should work as one & with synergy

most people buy gyros with eyes open based on looks & very old 80s design .would be looking at a brand new ground up 21st century design for circa £5k with your excellent cadenza blue like a vertetre with looks to match & will run rings around modt £10k decks never mind a Orbe or Gyro

http://www.hifiplus.com/articles/vertere-acoustics-mg-1-turntable-sg-1-arm-and-phono-1-phono-stage/

daytona600 said:
£5k approx for that front end ( deck/arm/cartridge/phono stage ) your source should work as one & with synergy

most people buy gyros with eyes open based on looks & very old 80s design .would be looking at a brand new ground up 21st century design for circa £5k with your excellent cadenza blue like a vertetre with looks to match & will run rings around modt £10k decks never mind a Orbe or Gyro

http://www.hifiplus.com/articles/vertere-acoustics-mg-1-turntable-sg-1-a...

Although good the Vertere is unfortunately £6500 and that's before you add a cartridge and phono preamp.

The direct drive route may the way to go, or possibly a Dr. Feickert Analogue Woodpecker. :)

Or indeed this:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rrp-7-000-Townshend-ROCK-7-Turntable-SME-309-Tonearm-Sealed-Benz-Wood-MC/173128630034?hash=item284f453f12:g:p~cAAOSwpvZaHcJI

bigfish786 said:
After hearing a Gyro SE with RB300 arm and 2mbronze cart, I would happily take that setup, if you have the money to improve on that, then go for it.

Big fish is correct it's a nice set-up. Note the use of the Bronze. If you simply have to go for Ortofon this is the best value for money in their ranges. Personally I wouldn't bother with Red or Blue buts that's just personal opinion.

The arm could be improved by going for an Origin Live tonearm of some description or possibly the Audiomods modified Rega. Note that most come theses days with the newer Rega three-point mount so the Gyro would have to be fitted with the correct mounting plate.

However, if it was my money I would save a little on the phono preamp by getting a purely moving magnet type and a bit on the cartridge then buying a SME 309 tonearm, .... bliss.

To answer your initial question you don't need to spend identical amounts on any of these components. Consider the cartridge itself as most important, it must be compatible with tonearm though.

Phono preamp to consider in order of preference might be the Rega MM mk3, Schitt Audio Mani, NJCs offering, Graham Slee Gram Amp 2 or Reflex M, Trichord Dino, Tom Evans Microgroove.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts