Michell Gyro or Orbe

steffan7777

Feb 4, 2016
Visit site
Hello All. I've come to a stalemate in my head and wondered if anyone could help nudge me in the right direction please.

For my budget (ish) and subject to final decision I could get;

- Michell Gyro with Technoarm A, Benz Ace 2 and Lehmann Black Cube stage,

OR

- Michell Orbe with RB202, Ortofon M2 Blue and Rega stage with view to upgrading over the years.

I know a lot is subjective, but is the extra spend on the Orbe worth it?

Would the cheaper bits on the Orbe make much of a difference? How would the two compare?

In a few years time, would 6k total spend on the Orbe be a bit wasted on my SCM40's and SIA2-150?

Many thanks in anticipation!

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
You need to go listen. You can't consider spending that amount of money on a turntable and anciliaries based on someone else's recommendation.

MajorFubar said:
You need to go listen. You can't consider spending that amount of money on a turntable and anciliaries based on someone else's recommendation.

True.

The Gyro set-up would, to my mind, sound the best from the off depending on state of the cartridge (are these new or second-hand?) It could be upgraded to the Orbe later if required.

Is it a Gyro though or the Gyro SE?

More info required, like what is the rest if your system particularly the amplifier.

steffan7777

Feb 4, 2016
Visit site
Thanks for the prompt responses Gents.

I know I should go listen, trouble so far has been trying to find a dealer with ACT and Michell. Something to work on!

As for the vinyl collection, we agreed this an ideal hobby for an old man so the plan is to grow the collection through new and second hand collection.

Al ears - the plan is a Gyro SE and all the bits bought new. I've got an ATC SIA2-150 and SCM40's. They sound fantastic!

Thanks in anticipation of any more thoughts.

Regards

Steffan

steffan7777 said:
Thanks for the prompt responses Gents.

I know I should go listen, trouble so far has been trying to find a dealer with ACT and Michell. Something to work on!

As for the vinyl collection, we agreed this an ideal hobby for an old man so the plan is to grow the collection through new and second hand collection.

Al ears - the plan is a Gyro SE and all the bits bought new. I've got an ATC SIA2-150 and SCM40's. They sound fantastic!

Thanks in anticipation of any more thoughts.

Regards

Steffan

Nice. I can see you do need a phono preamp. The idea, in essence is to audition the turntable you don't need an identical set-up at the dealers though it would help ;-)

The cartridge is a vital component, where did you get the phono preamp options from? The Black Cube SE 2 is £700, you could do better with a cheaper preamp and spend more on a MM cartridge, depending on whether you are looking at sticking with a moving coil type.

Can we assume you don't yet own any vinyl? It's not a cheap medium, but looking at your equipment choices I guess this will not be a problem, don't let me put you off by any means.

Stick with the Gyro SE but do ensure you purchase an acrylic cover of some kind, turntables don't like dust.

The Ace is a great cartridge but the design of MC s do have certain disadvantages compared to MM cartridges with replaceable stylii.

Depends on how much you'll use it. If both are used on a regular basis that's fine, but if it's only a demonstration in still life, look at cheaper options.

Having heard the Gyro recently it blew me away, but the combined package of the basic Gyro comes at a hefty price.

davidf said:
Al ears said:
It could be upgraded to the Orbe later if required, as long as the Gyro has an inverted bearing.
Only by selling it and replacing it with an Orbe.

No, there are upgrade kits available from Michell.

http://www.analogueseduction.net/michell-engineering-upgrades-parts-accessories/michell-engineering-orbe-platter-clamp-upgrade-kit.html

Granted it's not a full blown Orbe but will be as near as dammit for audio purposes.

Lost Angeles

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
You need to demo the two against each other, the Gyro looks and sounds great, the Orbe sounds fabulous, the cover over both is a monstrosity. Only your ears will tell you what you want. You'll need to set up the Orbe yourself in your house or get someone to do it for you, I presume the Gyro is the same. As has been previously said the Gyro can be upgraded when funds allow I can't remember what this involved. Happy listening.
Last time I was at the Bristol Show I though the Orbe was the best sounding demo there, a valve amp ran it close.

steffan7777

Feb 4, 2016
Visit site
Many thanks for all your thoughts Gents - all very exciting! *biggrin*

I shall work on organising a demo and go from there. Rest assured the tt will be used every week! From the Xmas demo I got the feeling the CD player might become redundant. I thought it was lovely relaxing and listening to some vinyl.

Al-ears, was there something in particular you were thinking of re the MC carts? I understood them to generally be the higher end option. Thoughts re the phono stage came from local dealer, I've got my ears open for alternatives.

Thanks again

regards

Steffan

steffan7777 said:
Many thanks for all your thoughts Gents - all very exciting! *biggrin*

I shall work on organising a demo and go from there. Rest assured the tt will be used every week! From the Xmas demo I got the feeling the CD player might become redundant. I thought it was lovely relaxing and listening to some vinyl.

Al-ears, was there something in particular you were thinking of re the MC carts? I understood them to generally be the higher end option. Thoughts re the phono stage came from local dealer, I've got my ears open for alternatives.

Thanks again

regards

Steffan

I am not going to tell you how to spend your money but whilst the Benz is excellent it has a non-replaceable stylus so any damage and you might as well bin it. High end moving magnet / iron cartridges are pretty much as good.

I believe the best phono preamp you can get for Lehmann money is the Tom Evans Audio Microgroove X but the Lehmann may offer more flexibility.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts