Tube Phono Stage

Infiniteloop

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
I'm about to take the plunge and order a new TT. This has been somewhat delayed due to moving house, which should happen in a few week's time.

I know which TT I'm going for (SME 15 with V Arm) but need a bit of advice re: Phono stages. I will use the TT with both a Devialet 200 and a Unison Research S8. The Devialet has a built-in Phono Stage which is pretty good. However the S8 has none and I would like to keep this system all Valve. I've been considering the Unison Research Phono One or the Icon Audio PS3 MKII. Does anyone out there have any other recommendations? I'll be using an Ortofon Cadenza Black MC cart.

Infiniteloop said:
I'm about to take the plunge and order a new TT. This has been somewhat delayed due to moving house, which should happen in a few week's time.

I know which TT I'm going for (SME 15 with V Arm) but need a bit of advice re: Phono stages. I will use the TT with both a Devialet 200 and a Unison Research S8. The Devialet has a built-in Phono Stage which is pretty good. However the S8 has none and I would like to keep this system all Valve. I've been considering the Unison Research Phono One or the Icon Audio PS3 MKII. Does anyone out there have any other recommendations? I'll be using an Ortofon Cadenza Black MC cart.

Would love to help but the only tube stage I have actually got to hear , or not whichever way you look at it, in recent years was an Icon Audio piece. Oh, and a Little Dot one but that was a while ago.

daytona600

cadenza black for best sound use a ortofon ST80 SUT ( step up transformer ) to match load & gain & noise run into the MM input of the unison research or icon generally valve phono stages work best via a SUT as gain is lower than a active MC phono stage

ST80 is 1.20 ratio & will provive 27db gain for 5-10ohms loading

Cadenza black is 0.33mv , 5ohm SUT will bring output voltage in line with a MM cartridge ( Aim for circa about 5mV into the MM phonostage )

When I attended an Oxford Audio presentation last year, where the Ortofon MC Winfield was played, I recall they used a Unison Research phono stage. I think they may have used the Ortofon transformer too.

They would be an obvious choice given your amp!

nopiano said:
When I attended an Oxford Audio presentation last year, where the Ortofon MC Winfield was played, I recall they used a Unison Research phono stage. I think they may have used the Ortofon transformer too.

Perhaps, because of the amp, the bank balance might hinder the purchase of suggested.... ;-)

Infiniteloop

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
nopiano said:

Thanks for this. Do you know if it was a 'Simply Phono' or a 'Phono One'?

I love Unison Research products. I had a Preludio before the S8 and it was a brilliant little Amp.

Infiniteloop said:
nopiano said:

I love Unison Research products. I had a Preludio before the S8 and it was a brilliant little Amp.
Can’t say I recall, sorry. I suppose our friend brownz might know, as that session was hosted by the guy who did the Ortofon roadshow, but I recall them describing it as the top of the range, if that aligns better with one or t’other.

brownz

Apr 9, 2015
Visit site
nopiano said:
Infiniteloop said:
nopiano said:

Can’t say I recall, sorry. I suppose our friend brownz might know, as that session was hosted by the guy who did the Ortofon roadshow, but I recall them describing it as the top of the range, if that aligns better with one or t’other.

No probs,

I've asked the ASM who set it up and ran the cart tour, should have a reply shortly.

TBH I do prefer the looks of the slightly cheaper Simply Phono over the Phono One, but that's just me ;-) I prefer the sound of Lehmann Phono stages over actual valve phono stages as I think they sound warmer and more "valvey" that actual valve stages - yeah.... I did mention I'm a bit odd.....

Cheers - Dave.B

brownz

Apr 9, 2015
Visit site
On the Ortofon tour all carts were played through a Pro-Ject Phono Box RS. (Not to say that someone else may have tinkered/fettled with something else).

The Unison Research day at OAC had a setup showing both the Simply Phono and the Phono One.

The Phono One was setup with an ST-80 SE as previously mentioned by NP.

ur_OAC.jpg

Infiniteloop

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
brownz said:
On the Ortofon tour all carts were played through a Pro-Ject Phono Box RS. (Not to say that someone else may have tinkered/fettled with something else).

The Unison Research day at OAC had a setup showing both the Simply Phono and the Phono One.

The Phono One was setup with an ST-80 SE as previously mentioned by NP.

Using an SME model 15 too - which is the TT I'm considering (although might opt for the 20/3 instead).

Infiniteloop

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
Al ears said:
I would be curious to know why you wanted a tube stage in the first instance when there are so many excellent solid state ones around. Just curious like, don't let me put you off, I've got a tube power amp......;-)

I’m going to use it with my Unison Research S8 Valve Amp. I wanted to keep the whole signal path as tubey as possible......

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts