Meridian out of date?

danwood6

Jun 21, 2008
Visit site
Help I'm quite intrested in the Meridian G series, but would I be right in thinking it can't handle the latest audio codecs or even LPCM through HDMI?

If this is the case is it even worth an audition? And if not what is?

A

Anonymous

Hi there

I've had the Meridian G91 player + G61 surround processor and G55 and 57 amps for the past 2/3 years. ÿI've been delighted with the performance across the board - sound and visual which is excellent. ÿHowever, you're right about Meridian not being able to play/decode the latest audioÿcodecs, LPCM via HDMI etc. ÿMy local dealer checked with Meridian a few weeks ago about whether they plan to offer any kind of upgrade or route through to HD - the short answer is no (or they weren't saying)! ÿI wonder whether in terms of Blu-Ray at least the sheer cost of licensing from Sony etc. is prohibitive, not just for Meridian but other smaller manufacturers such as Arcam which presents them with a real predicament, i.e. what should they do to compete in the high-end market? ÿI'm seriously thinking about making the upgrade to Blu-Ray which will probably mean purchasing either something like an Onkyo receiver which can decode and then running straight through the G61, or if I buy say the latest Panasonic BDP-50 (which internally decodes the HD codecs) something like a high-grade 5.1 HDMI/audio router (Zektor in the USA manufactures one). ÿI certainly recommend you have an audition of Meridian and also the latest Japanese equipment. ÿI guess it all depends what's important to you.

ÿ

danwood6

Jun 21, 2008
Visit site
Thanks, I thought as much. The main problem I have is I am trying to cut down on boxes. Idealy I would like to end up with just 2 (plus Sky HD, PS3 etc). I've always liked the Meridian sound, so that seemed like the way to go. I don't think I can justify spending this kind of money and not getting DTS HDMA etc. I could spend £500 and get it!!

Ultimately I want to improve all aspects of my system as I down size it.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts